Nicollet Mall

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
MNdible
is great.

Re: Nicollet Mall Reconstruction Project

Postby MNdible » January 21st, 2016, 12:46 pm

Not that it's an excuse, but I'll just note that bidding has been really volatile the last couple of years. Cost estimators can't seem to get a handle on things, and contractors are busy enough that they seem to be able to pick and choose which projects they want to bid aggressively on.

I'd assume that to most contractors, this job seems like a fussy pain-in-the-ass; a project that if you were slow, you'd pursue, but if you're busy, you'll either not bid on at all or throw a big fat number at.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » January 21st, 2016, 12:49 pm

We should have really pushed this back until stadium construction is done. Stadium construction has sucked up all the construction capacity to the point where they've had to train new workers, and once construction is done there will be a glut and costs are going to fall.

Archiapolis
US Bank Plaza

Postby Archiapolis » January 21st, 2016, 1:13 pm

We should have really pushed this back until stadium construction is done. Stadium construction has sucked up all the construction capacity to the point where they've had to train new workers, and once construction is done there will be a glut and costs are going to fall.
All of what you and MNdible have said is true.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » January 21st, 2016, 1:28 pm

Can they still? Leaving Nicollet in the condition it's in now isn't great, and it would be rough to put the buses back for a year and then redetour them a year later, but it might be worth it to leave it for a year and build it right, rather than push a crappy cut-down version through.

Also, that would give the city a year to figure out what's going on with the streetcar and do it at the same time, rather than completing it and tearing it up again two years later.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

trigonalmayhem

Postby trigonalmayhem » January 21st, 2016, 1:34 pm

Aside from the holes in the ground I quite like nicollet right now. They've removed most of the obstructions so there's actually plenty of room to walk. If they can keep sidewalk cafés banned until it's time to finish it properly I'd actually be fine with it.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » January 21st, 2016, 1:36 pm

Why do you want sidewalk cafes banned?

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » January 21st, 2016, 1:40 pm

Why do you want sidewalk cafes banned?

trigonalmayhem

Postby trigonalmayhem » January 21st, 2016, 1:46 pm

Only until they rebuild the mall and have a better way of delineating space and the guaranteed walking paths that stay unobstructed. The old set up was a nightmare and constricted the walking space too much in several areas. It sounded like they actually had a good plan with the rebuild (take note people, I'm being positive here), so putting them back before that's ready seems like it would potentially be a mess.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » January 21st, 2016, 2:01 pm

I totally understand what you're getting at, but don't the restaurants have an agreement/pay to have sidewalk space? You cant just pull the rug on a contract especially when these sidewalk cafés are major money makers in the summer months when restaurants are usually slow.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » January 21st, 2016, 4:36 pm

Did they really start doing any work without all the bidding wrapped up in a bow?

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » January 21st, 2016, 4:44 pm

Did they really start doing any work without all the bidding wrapped up in a bow?
They started the utility work, which I assume was bid out as its own package.

Dallas201
Block E

Postby Dallas201 » January 22nd, 2016, 4:54 am

Can they still? Leaving Nicollet in the condition it's in now isn't great, and it would be rough to put the buses back for a year and then redetour them a year later, but it might be worth it to leave it for a year and build it right, rather than push a crappy cut-down version through.

Also, that would give the city a year to figure out what's going on with the streetcar and do it at the same time, rather than completing it and tearing it up again two years later.

The condition it is in now looks more in line with a gravel road. That sure would make for an interesting year.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » January 22nd, 2016, 9:46 am

A gravel road would be unique/iconic...

acs
Wells Fargo Center

Postby acs » January 29th, 2016, 5:13 pm

http://www.startribune.com/redesign-of- ... 367033751/

Brick pavers out from the entire mall, including the sidewalks. Large poured concrete slabs will replace them. Maybe we get some stenciling on them if they can come under budget. I can't believe it but the city has actually managed to make the mall worse and blow $50 million and 30 more years of good will in the process.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » January 29th, 2016, 5:21 pm

Total utter failure :)

I'm a huge optimist for Minneapolis, you all know that. I defend the city even when I know that it probably is their fault. But this time, I'm done. I'm sick of empty promises. Our downtown streets.. are ugly. They are honestly just disgusting. I've been working on trying to get a full write up of how I feel about them, but school gets in the way. Our east-west streets and lacking any sort of pedestrian realm at all such as trees, better lighting, any vegetation at all, etc. Our north-south streets have a lot doors, but are missing retail and activity during the weekends and much of the day. Hennepin is full of vacancies, gum marks, urine, and trash.

This project was an opportunity to totally refresh Nicollet Mall, and I just don't see that happening anymore. I fear that the concrete slabs are just the start of more to come, and I hope I'm wrong.

Dallas201
Block E

Postby Dallas201 » January 29th, 2016, 5:41 pm

I always thought pavers on the roadway would have been bad for bikes and wouldn't be a good usage of money, but are they really taking out the pavers for the sidewalk too? That would be pretty disappointing. Maybe with the leftover funds they might be able to stencil in a streetcar line this time? You know to give the illusion of an adequate mobility in an urban corridor.

TroyGBiv
US Bank Plaza

Postby TroyGBiv » January 29th, 2016, 6:16 pm

They should just skip this project... It isn't going to look any better than what is there... let's face it. the mall needed repair but we all could walk up and down every sidewalk... The point of doing this was to make it "better" and "prettier". I am a total MPLS booster too, but this is beyond disappointing...

acs
Wells Fargo Center

Postby acs » January 29th, 2016, 6:19 pm

It's sad because we had red brick pavers already... until they started construction and ripped them up. Good going Minneapolis.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » January 29th, 2016, 6:42 pm

Hit the pause button for a year.

Michael
City Center

Postby Michael » January 29th, 2016, 6:49 pm

Very Disappointing.
http://www.startribune.com/redesign-of- ... 367033751/

Brick pavers out from the entire mall, including the sidewalks. Large poured concrete slabs will replace them. Maybe we get some stenciling on them if they can come under budget. I can't believe it but the city has actually managed to make the mall worse and blow $50 million and 30 more years of good will in the process.