Nicollet Mall

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Nicollet Mall Reconstruction Project

Postby xandrex » February 14th, 2017, 3:20 pm

It isn’t really the retailers that are the concern on Nicollet Mall. There aren’t any huge number of them, and most of them are connected to the skyway anyway. The real killer of Nicollet Mall taking a long period of time are the restaurants with patios. They’re not necessarily going to fold, but by the time this is done, they’ll have effectively missed three patio seasons, which is a big deal here. That means fewer patrons, fewer waiters, less cash flow.

Now just think if we actually push through a streetcar and they have to tear up the street again in a few years.

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » February 14th, 2017, 3:49 pm

They aren't missing too much patio time. Brits missed last summer, but they have their roof, and I think Dakota did too. News Room, Barrio, Zelo, and Mc Cormick's were all able to have the patio out pretty much the whole summer last year. Granted, not as pleasant as usual.

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » February 14th, 2017, 3:55 pm

I've talked to a few restaurant managers that mentioned how their patio sales were down. Maybe it was just grumbling, I dunno.

widin007
Nicollet Mall

Postby widin007 » February 14th, 2017, 7:06 pm

i'm seeing a lot of complaining about the length of the project and I don't understand why. You all know large capital projects like this have budgets and timelines right? If and only if this is not done by November can you all complain. We all knew this was going to take 2 1/2 years before it started. Plus there is this handy website http://www.nicolletmallproject.com/construction that tells you where they are working and what they are working on each week!

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » February 14th, 2017, 8:13 pm

Timely construction update

https://youtu.be/Z7eIqzP_2zg

intercomnut
Rice Park

Postby intercomnut » March 2nd, 2017, 11:44 am

The City and its lead contractor say the Nicollet Mall project is on time and on schedule.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » March 24th, 2017, 9:25 pm

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » March 24th, 2017, 9:44 pm

Terrible rendering, but it sounds cool:
For Nicollet Mall, I am inspired by the idea of a horizontal plane that would reveal the invisible air. Prairie Tree is intended to suggest a hybrid between a tree and a field of prairie grasses. The upper surface of the artwork will be covered with a dense array of anodized aluminum vanes to register the changing conditions of the wind and sky. The thousands of wind-animated elements will reflect light and sky in a manner similar to the surface of a lake, or a field of tall grasses. Sunlight passing through the reflective array will cast intricate patterns of moving light and shadow onto the ground, filling the immediate environment with a relaxing undulating light.

twinkess
Target Field

Postby twinkess » March 24th, 2017, 10:11 pm

Where does the top one go?

DTSB
City Center

Postby DTSB » March 28th, 2017, 9:41 pm

Where does the top one go?
"Ned Kahn has designed an iconic artwork, Prairie Tree, to be installed before the end of the year on Nicollet Mall between 10th and 11th Streets on the east side of Nicollet in front of WCCO."

marquette
Block E

Postby marquette » March 29th, 2017, 5:53 pm

Minnesota business journal said the artwork will cost 1 million dollars for the mall...

intercomnut
Rice Park

Postby intercomnut » March 31st, 2017, 11:11 am

Aboveground construction will start Monday.

http://www.startribune.com/nicollet-mal ... 417794813/

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » March 31st, 2017, 2:06 pm

A few days ago they ripped out some of the new sidewalk in front of IDS. It was poured late last fall. I had always noticed it was a slightly different shade of grey. I hope they didn't tear it out just because the color wasn't perfect.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » April 11th, 2017, 10:29 am

They repoured that segment of sidewalk, and are stenciling it at this moment. Hope the color matches this time.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

Silophant

Postby Silophant » May 11th, 2017, 9:23 am

It occurs to me that they haven't touched the 5th St. intersection at all yet, presumably to avoid disrupting the trains. Think they can go balls to the wall and finish all the train-disrupting work during that weeklong LRT closure scheduled for the end of June, or do we have more closures in our future?
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

Mooglemuffins
Nicollet Mall

Postby Mooglemuffins » May 11th, 2017, 9:38 am

It occurs to me that they haven't touched the 5th St. intersection at all yet, presumably to avoid disrupting the trains. Think they can go balls to the wall and finish all the train-disrupting work during that weeklong LRT closure scheduled for the end of June, or do we have more closures in our future?
On that note, is there information about what they are doing with the Nicollet station? There's that whole platform they built on the North side of the track that isn't open yet. Why was that added?

Silophant

Postby Silophant » May 11th, 2017, 9:49 am

It was added to expand capacity for the Green and Blue extensions. I'm not sure if they're going to open it up soon or if it'll just sit for a couple more years until SWLRT goes into service.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » May 11th, 2017, 9:51 am

Given how ridiculously huge the alleys are on that Nic on 5th block, it's sure a shame there wasn't a way to push Gaviidae parking/dock access ramp under 5th Ave and to that block. This (along with some other small mods to the Nic-to-Henn block of 5th St) would have allowed 5th Street to become exclusively transit station for the block between Nicollet and Marquette.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » May 11th, 2017, 10:32 am

It was added to expand capacity for the Green and Blue extensions. I'm not sure if they're going to open it up soon or if it'll just sit for a couple more years until SWLRT goes into service.
It was supposed to open in March https://www.metrotransit.org/work-under ... n-platform

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » June 8th, 2017, 12:04 pm

Big tree delivery at the south end of Nicollet Mall today.