Nicollet Mall

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
Homewood2009
Metrodome

Re: Nicollet Mall Reconstruction Project

Postby Homewood2009 » October 14th, 2017, 11:43 am

As the wraps come off of this project, I find myself surprised that I actually like the way it has turned out. I don't love it, not a huge fan of the concrete, but it seems brighter and the trees look great. The old mall design was kind of tired with all of the broker pavers. Always seemed kind of dark. It'll be interesting to see what other people on this forum think about it.

twinkess
Target Field

Postby twinkess » October 14th, 2017, 11:54 am

Thumbs up so far.

jtoemke
Landmark Center

Postby jtoemke » October 14th, 2017, 12:49 pm

Pics for Minneapolis transplants who rely on this forum to get their daily dose of MPLS would be amazing

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » October 14th, 2017, 1:38 pm

I was able to bike down the Mall from Target to Washington Ave. (Where I then took the new protected bike lanes. ) and there were a lot of people out on the mall. A number of the people were residential residents walking their dogs or getting dinner. Also, someone should really take a photo from the library near 3rd and Nic. the street looks great with the new construction and remodeled street. The bus stops aren't in yet and leave holes in the landscape. The seating and etc. is also missing. The light walk I don't quite get yet. They had it lit up during the day this week and all that was lit was the sides of the supports. They've been working on it for a month and I hope it's not disappointing.

twinkess
Target Field

Postby twinkess » October 14th, 2017, 9:27 pm

I can take pics Monday.

Yourpalborno
City Center

Postby Yourpalborno » October 17th, 2017, 6:23 am

I was able to bike down the entire length of the Mall yesterday from Washington to Grant. It's a huge transformation and probably better than I realize since I can't see the old and new side by side. The trees are wonderful and the flow of the sidewalks seems to better connect the buildings to the streets and then to the other side of the street. Things will get even better with the additions of trees, art, bus shelters, and furniture (which I saw being delivered yesterday). HOWEVER, I do have a couple of criticisms. My first is the amount of gray. Gray stoplight polls, gray light polls, gray street signs, gray sidewalks. It's too much and I worry that the addition of trees and furniture is not enough to overcome the Minneapolis version of MNDOT beige. My second criticism is with the sidewalks themselves. I really wish the city would have spent the extra money on pavers. The sidewalk etchings are bland and invisible unless you are standing directly on them. Pavers would have tied together the "park" feeling the new Nicollet Mall seems to portray. It's a huge miss. I hope, years from now, the city finds a way to improve this aspect of the project.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » October 17th, 2017, 8:21 am

I took a bunch of pictures yesterday, but got distracted and never got around to posting them. I'll do it tonight.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

MattW
Rice Park

Postby MattW » October 17th, 2017, 8:38 am

Am I bad urbanist if I wish they put a curb cut in at the entrance of the Loring Greenway? I bike through the greenway on a regular basis, you have to swing pretty wide to be able to pop your tire up the curb.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » October 17th, 2017, 9:32 am

I too am concerned about the gray drabness. But I'm less convinced that it's a significant improvement.

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » October 17th, 2017, 10:08 am

Am I bad urbanist if I wish they put a curb cut in at the entrance of the Loring Greenway? I bike through the greenway on a regular basis, you have to swing pretty wide to be able to pop your tire up the curb.
Nope. That was close to the top of my wishlist for the new mall. It's a pretty major bicycle connection (imho).

Tiller
Foshay Tower

Postby Tiller » October 17th, 2017, 11:51 pm

I was there a couple of days ago and the sidewalk is super bland. The problem is that sidewalk grey + busway grey is too much. It's like the sidewalk is just more road.

SkyScraperKid

Postby SkyScraperKid » October 18th, 2017, 10:11 am

I was there a couple of days ago and the sidewalk is super bland. The problem is that sidewalk grey + busway grey is too much. It's like the sidewalk is just more road.
...or the road is just more sidewalk... ;)

Silophant

Postby Silophant » October 19th, 2017, 8:19 pm

So, as promised a while ago, here's some pictures of the nearly-finished project from Monday:
Wayfinding at 3rd St.

The amphitheater in front of the library.

Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

Silophant

Postby Silophant » October 19th, 2017, 8:24 pm

There's been a pop-up craft market in this space every so often.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

Silophant

Postby Silophant » October 19th, 2017, 8:28 pm

Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

Silophant

Postby Silophant » October 19th, 2017, 8:34 pm

This will be a bus shelter. Looks like they'll be similar to the aBRT stations, but without the tactile curb edging.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

PhilmerPhil

Postby PhilmerPhil » October 19th, 2017, 10:40 pm

The skate stoppers are so tacky. There are ways to design ledges and benches to prevent use by skateboarders without requiring those ugly knobs. A good designer would have factored that into the original design.

Better yet, skip the deterrents and use a more durable, skate resistant material that allows for use by skateboarders during off peak hours. It worked pretty well on the previous iteration of the mall.

Qhaberl
Foshay Tower

Postby Qhaberl » October 20th, 2017, 5:48 am

I may have asked this question a little while back, but does anyone know when the buses will be returning to Nicolette [sic] Mall? Anyone have any inside info?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » October 20th, 2017, 6:58 am

Does anyone know when this will be opening up for buses?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Buses are returning on Dec 2nd 2017. Source: I work for Metro Transit.
You did ask and have an answer on the previous page. A little scrolling goes a long way.

SkyScraperKid

Postby SkyScraperKid » October 20th, 2017, 10:55 am

It may have been said, but does anybody know when the mall will bring back busses? FYI. I don't read comments here, but I will take my answer in a song and dance video. Please respond accordingly. Thanks in advance. :mrgreen: