Nicollet Mall

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
MNdible
is great.

Re: Nicollet Mall

Postby MNdible » September 23rd, 2019, 9:29 am

Delivered just in time for the snow plows to smack into them!

But seriously, this glad they're finally stepping up to add some additional color and interest.

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » September 23rd, 2019, 2:52 pm

Finally! Are they the same round ones they used to use? Which are fine...just curious.

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » September 24th, 2019, 10:40 am

Looks like they're putting new mirrors on the light walk? Or something. They had it barricaded with plastic wrap on them. The old ones had issues? They weren't that old.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » September 24th, 2019, 10:50 am

Looked to me like they're going to touch up paint the support structure and don't want to get overspray on the mirrored surfaces.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » September 24th, 2019, 11:45 am

They've also put planters on the benches of the amphitheater in front of the Library, perhaps to try to prevent people from laying on them, but also have not removed the barricades around it.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » September 30th, 2019, 9:40 pm

Hennepin County is taking bids for a new coffee vendor in the library (I assume Dunn Bros’ lease is up): https://supplier.hennepin.us/psp/fprd_2 ... &utm_term=

gopherfan
Nicollet Mall

Postby gopherfan » October 29th, 2019, 3:45 pm

Here's why Nicollet was never going to be a pedestrian only mall and do away with the transit buses. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Tg9IMCKa5M

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » November 3rd, 2019, 8:07 am

Nicollet Mall’s programming awarded by national org of 2,500 downtown management organizations.

https://finance-commerce.com/2019/10/di ... rk-lauded/

alexschief
Wells Fargo Center

Postby alexschief » December 4th, 2019, 4:20 pm

The reconstruction was completed after I moved away from Minnesota, and so my exposure to the new Nicollet has come on visits. As it has happened, I've never stayed directly in downtown, and so in particular I had not been able to experience Nicollet both during the day and at night.

That's a preamble to say that I was in town from Sunday to Tuesday and for the first time did stay downtown, and really for the first time ended up seeing Nicollet in a lot of different lights and moods. I was surprised how much my opinion of it changed, mostly for the better.

I think many of the concerns about the daytime grey-ness of Nicollet are still valid, especially in the winter, when the new trees are not blooming. But the holiday displays at Dayton's really liven up that block, and that makes me think that the greater part of the problem may simply be the buildings that front Nicollet. With actual activity on the Dayton's block and a merely non-terrible redesign of City Center, the street will start to feel way more colorful.

Even more so, I was impressed with Nicollet at night. I think the soft lighting that JCFO designed really is extraordinary. It keeps there from being any sketchy-feeling dark corners, but it doesn't glare. It allows for a dappled texture of light and shadow from the Loring Greenway to the Gateway. It lets the light spilling out from behind doors and windows, and the accent lighting highlighting trees and facades be the stars. All of this creates a nighttime streetscape that I found both welcoming and engaging.

I've also wished before for bus service to more entirely from Nicollet to Hennepin when the latter is reconstructed, in large part because I do think that the buses take something away from the pedestrian experience, but I'm reconsidering that view because of how good the transit shelters along Nicollet are, especially at night, and especially in the winter. With their light and heat lamps, they stand out along the mall with the warm amber light of lanterns. They also ensure activity on the street, even in the cold, even late at night. I did not understand how much those shelters made the street feel, and I have a much greater appreciation for how the same effect can exist along other aBRT corridors as well.

Anyway, all of this to say that I'm officially putting aside my complaining about Nicollet. It's good now, Peavey Plaza is incredible, I'm a big fan of the Nimbus, and when Hennepin opens up so the bus traffic is a bit more balanced, plus the Gateway area finishes building, I do think it's going to be a real asset. It still needs a lot more people (someone tear down the old Walgreens building and put some high rise housing there), but I think the design has laid a better foundation for the street to shine than has often been given credit for.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » December 6th, 2019, 12:45 pm

Agree with most of your assessment of Nicollet Mall. However, right now I'm a bit peeved there's no seasonal lighting scheme spanning the mall's 12 blocks to give it a more festive, bright atmosphere for the holiday season and our darkest time of year. It currently looks pretty bleak and desolate at night with a couple exceptions. Confused as to why this is so. We are probably one of the only cities in America that has no public holiday light display on its major retail corridor. :?

MN Fats
Union Depot

Postby MN Fats » December 6th, 2019, 1:10 pm

Not sure what you mean, Mall of America has plenty of holiday lights... :lol:

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » December 6th, 2019, 1:16 pm

Not sure what you mean, Mall of America has plenty of holiday lights... :lol:
Yeah , I guess there's no hope for the "other" mall. lol

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » December 6th, 2019, 1:39 pm

Be nice to put a Christmas tree with lights on part of the half block parking lot across from the library which Opus owns. Otherwise what if DID got more businesses to have holiday windows like Daytons?

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » December 6th, 2019, 1:51 pm

I got a kick out of business owners on Nicollet complaining about the lack of holiday displays. Have they tried... their own holiday displays? I felt like the holidays were in full swing on Nicollet the past week.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » December 6th, 2019, 2:24 pm

I got a kick out of business owners on Nicollet complaining about the lack of holiday displays. Have they tried... their own holiday displays? I felt like the holidays were in full swing on Nicollet the past week.
A comprehensive light display in the public realm ( i.e lighting up the trees on the 12 block stretch ) is what I'm referring to. It's actually up to the private businesses along Nicollet Mall to do more. The city does not publicly fund holiday light displays. As Nicollet Mall continues its revitalization with The Dayton's Project, City Center renovation, Gateway Project etc, there will probably be a more concerted effort to brighten up the mall in the holiday season/wintertime.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » December 6th, 2019, 5:21 pm

Ok but this is the article in reference
https://www.fox9.com/news/business-owne ... -holiday-s

Also love that Fox 9 must post anything that will put downtown in a bad light

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » December 6th, 2019, 8:59 pm

^^Putting up lights on the trees/ light posts to give the mall a more uniform seasonal appearance would go far to brighten it up. I mean , even the trees on Nicollet Ave south of Grant Street have lights on them!

Many more business owners do need to step up to the plate. And there should be more coordination of effort with DID to have better funding for seasonal lighting. I'm hopeful it will improve once more of the vacant spaces along the mall get filled up.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » December 9th, 2019, 10:58 am

The Christmas Market should be on the Mall. Not in Peavy Plaza as it originally was (although that's better than in Loring Park), but along the length of the Mall, where it can provide a reason to stroll the length and visit the businesses (such as they are) next to it. That's a whole point of doing the thing. It's also how it works in Munich and Nuremberg (just got back).

grrdanko
Landmark Center

Postby grrdanko » December 9th, 2019, 12:02 pm

The Christmas Market should be on the Mall. Not in Peavy Plaza as it originally was (although that's better than in Loring Park), but along the length of the Mall, where it can provide a reason to stroll the length and visit the businesses (such as they are) next to it. That's a whole point of doing the thing. It's also how it works in Munich and Nuremberg (just got back).
I wholeheartedly agree. With Peavy Plaza finished they can do ice skating in the pool. Loring Park feels so out of the way.

I was hoping they'd move Holladazzle back the the mall when construction was finished.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » December 15th, 2019, 1:06 pm

An excellent idea. Even the 4 block stretch from the Dayton's Project to 12th street (to include Peavey Plaza and the Crystal court ) would make a great indoor/outdoor space for a Christmas Market. One of the main purposes of Nicollet Mall ( I thought) was to create an urban space/streetscape for event programming.