Nicollet Mall

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
Nathan
Capella Tower

Re: Nicollet Mall

Postby Nathan » February 21st, 2014, 10:02 am

It all sounds "okay" in theory, but I am struggling to see the feasibility in this. The ice rink idea is just plain stupid, the new exterior entrances for the retail centers are no brainers, and from what I understand the sidewalks are going to be drastically reduced in width.

And then to name the whole thing "Nicollet Island" just shows the designer knows so little about Minneapolis, he doesn't even know there is a real Nicollet Island about a mile north. I don't know why but that duplication bothered me big time.
every single park/ streetscape project proposed in minneapolis is drawn with a skating rink, it's just a thing they do to make it look lively in the winter. I wouldn't worry too much.

they're clearly not from here which is a good thing. if every project in minneapolis was developed in minneapolis we'd lose any international insight and input we could have. these are labels they're using to clarify which part of the project is being discussed and less what will be printed on a flag attached to a light pole upon completion.

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » February 21st, 2014, 10:12 am

The sidewalks are huge. But so much of the width is currently wasted on the homeless hangouts (née planter boxes.) I wonder how many of these "features" they will also be able to appropriate. I guess you need a critical mass of other users to prevent it...

And while on the subject of buses never leaving the mall, what about taxis?
Towns!

Silophant

Postby Silophant » February 21st, 2014, 10:16 am

That's a good question. Taxis on the mall bug me a lot more than buses do, and make it more confusing for out-of-town drivers to boot.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

Gman12
Nicollet Mall

Postby Gman12 » February 21st, 2014, 10:17 am

And, sidebar, firepits? Really? I think that's a great idea in theory, but have they had any attorneys thoroughly think that one through?
I don't like the idea of fire pits for the same reason, well, actually because I wouldn't want my kids to think it's fun to play with the flames. I DO wish there would be heat lamps or some kind of attractive alternative along the entirety of Nicollet Avenue. Maybe even something that could double as a feature for other seasons of the year (like a mosquito trap). Anything to make walking along Nicollet Mall during winters like this one an actual viable option, and also something that makes visiting the city a more enjoyable experience for those not accustomed to killer cold air.

When design is practical, and not just cutesy or kitchy, it will be embraced by the community.
Don't worry your kids will dabble in being pyro's with or without fireplaces on the mall. Every boy does. ;)

Minneboy
US Bank Plaza

Postby Minneboy » February 21st, 2014, 10:32 am

I'm kind of surprised about the buses not leaving Nicollet Mall. I guess I missed that tidbit but I thought that was the whole reason Marquette was remade and Hennepin returned to a two way street downtown. Was it the businesses that were opposed to the buses leaving or a loss of some financial incentive due to transit funding to rebuild the mall?

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » February 21st, 2014, 11:53 am

It's straight up a capacity issue. For as much grief as our bus service gets, there are an impressive number of buses that move through the north-south transit spines of Minneapolis. Marq2 is generally serving the express service (and doesn't have capacity to spare), and local service is on Nicollet and Hennepin.

I think buses absolutely have a place on the Mall, but I'd like the transit service to be simplified so that it's idiot proof. I don't think that Denver's 16th Street Mall is anything special from a design point of view, but their transit service is dead on.

In a perfect world, there would only be the future streetcar running on the mall, and everybody (infrequent user or tourist) would know that they can hop on the streetcar and it will take them exactly where they need to go -- no worry about getting on the wrong bus, etc. Also, did I mention it would be free to ride?

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » February 21st, 2014, 12:56 pm

And, sidebar, firepits? Really? I think that's a great idea in theory, but have they had any attorneys thoroughly think that one through?
I don't like the idea of fire pits for the same reason, well, actually because I wouldn't want my kids to think it's fun to play with the flames. I DO wish there would be heat lamps or some kind of attractive alternative along the entirety of Nicollet Avenue. Maybe even something that could double as a feature for other seasons of the year (like a mosquito trap). Anything to make walking along Nicollet Mall during winters like this one an actual viable option, and also something that makes visiting the city a more enjoyable experience for those not accustomed to killer cold air.

When design is practical, and not just cutesy or kitchy, it will be embraced by the community.
Don't worry your kids will dabble in being pyro's with or without fireplaces on the mall. Every boy does. ;)
I have two girls only but one of them is already more fearless than I ever was! :shock:

talindsay
Wells Fargo Center

Postby talindsay » February 24th, 2014, 1:31 pm

I have two girls only but one of them is already more fearless than I ever was! :shock:
Yeah, no reason to gender that statement. Everybody plays with fire.

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » February 27th, 2014, 8:08 am

i like these early renderings. it's a nice variety of space and use.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » February 27th, 2014, 9:05 am

Sam Newberg has a great commentary about the importance of retail frontage to make Nicollet Mall successful. In so many ways, just as (if not more) critical in making this corridor pedestrian friendly and a destination street :

http://www.journalmpls.com/voices-feed/ ... l-frontage

IllogicalJake
Target Field

Postby IllogicalJake » February 27th, 2014, 9:10 am

I have another Minnesota newbie question, as someone who isn't there yet - what are the current "rules of the road" of Nicollet now? I know busses run up and down it, but is it a bus-only way or are cars allowed on at certain times? I definitely see non-bus vehicles on Streetview.
i talk too much. web dev, downtown. admin @ tower.ly

TommyT
Target Field

Postby TommyT » February 27th, 2014, 9:16 am

Buses and Taxi cabs

gpete
Union Depot

Postby gpete » February 27th, 2014, 9:17 am

Only buses, taxis and emergency vehicles are permitted. 24/7

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IllogicalJake
Target Field

Postby IllogicalJake » February 27th, 2014, 9:26 am

Only buses, taxis and emergency vehicles are permitted. 24/7
Thanks, guys. Is that posted anywhere around the street? I tried to answer the question myself on Streetview before asking here. I see lots of "No Turns" signs, which may be enough and makes it pretty clear that I shouldn't turn onto the street. But I expected more signage for those who may not be familiar with downtown... or maybe I just missed it.

PhilmerPhil

Postby PhilmerPhil » February 27th, 2014, 9:39 am

https://www.google.com/maps/@44.971,-93 ... GcbUpQ!2e0

Bikes are also allowed on Nicollet Mall as of a couple years ago.

IllogicalJake
Target Field

Postby IllogicalJake » February 27th, 2014, 9:41 am

https://www.google.com/maps/@44.971,-93 ... GcbUpQ!2e0

Bikes are also allowed on Nicollet Mall as of a couple years ago.
Hey, I guess I did miss it. Thanks a lot.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » February 27th, 2014, 10:24 am

Buses, taxis, emergency vehicles, and people with out of state license plates.

MSPtoMKE
Rice Park

Postby MSPtoMKE » February 27th, 2014, 11:04 am

Buses, taxis, emergency vehicles, and people with out of state license plates.
And Google Streetview vehicles.
My flickr photos.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » February 27th, 2014, 12:34 pm

There is one day that you can drive on Nicollet Mall and that is the evening of Thanksgiving to see the holiday Christmas decorations that are supposed to be in those closed up windows.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » March 3rd, 2014, 10:26 pm

At what point can we take down the signs on every other street corner that say "Buses do not stop here"?
Nick Magrino
[email protected]