Former Thrivent Building (now Hennepin) & Sora Apartments Block

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
alexschief
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Thrivent's Surface Parking Lots

Postby alexschief » September 27th, 2017, 8:13 am

That parking ramp half-block development is unfortunate, but at least it improved from the first presentation to the second. Parking ramps wrapped with apartments are at least better than surface lots of parking lots unwrapped. But perhaps there is now an option for the public to have input on the development of that block. This County consolidation also opens up some other sites to redevelopment, especially the Family Justice Center. I wonder if Opus, having developed the Ritz and Marq buildings right next door, might be interested in developing that block as well. My great dream is that the County will vacate the Medical Examiner and (especially the) JDC/CPH buildings, to allow opportunities to redevelop the south end of the Commons Park.

In downtown east, the spotlight is now on Thrivent to build a headquarters on the block opposite that isn't awful. Given how their first building turned out, I'm not sure I trust them to do that, but hopefully there is some development interest on that block to build real mixed use. There is space for Thrivent's headquarters and a few apartment buildings. The KA Block shows that it can be done, even with a company whose initial plans were less than inspiring.

Oh, and someday I hope that horrible red glass and steel will get replaced and repainted. The building wouldn't be half as awful if it weren't tinted so garishly.

TroyGBiv
US Bank Plaza

Postby TroyGBiv » September 27th, 2017, 9:35 am

If Thrivent is building a new headquarters on the open block, why are they still interested in building a parking ramp / apartment building on the east half of their current block? Is it to have enough parking for their executives while they build the new headquarters and lose those surface parking spaces? That seems like terrible land use to take that half block for a relatively low density development... any thoughts?

VacantLuxuries
Foshay Tower

Postby VacantLuxuries » September 27th, 2017, 11:19 am

I think if they had their way they'd just build a ramp period, but they're trying to read the room by covering it with apartments. There's no other reason they'd have picked Interstate Parking as the developer.

TroyGBiv
US Bank Plaza

Postby TroyGBiv » September 27th, 2017, 2:59 pm

good point

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » September 29th, 2017, 3:11 pm

I know there are much bigger happenings with this plan. But, it'll be great if we could keep the trees that surround the half block where the ramp will go. They're some of the healthier and larger trees Downtown. Maybe they could leave some of them on the exterior of the ramp or if there is green space with the new HQ they could move them? I doubt that's possible however.

bapster2006
Foshay Tower

Postby bapster2006 » November 29th, 2017, 5:49 pm

Here is the packet for the half block parcel:

http://www.minneapolismn.gov/www/groups ... 206881.pdf

BigIdeasGuy
Union Depot

Postby BigIdeasGuy » November 29th, 2017, 9:12 pm

It will be interesting to see where this one goes. It's gone from completely unacceptable to mostly but not completely terrible. The Downtown Neighborhood Council rescinded it's support of the project on the grounds that it was too small essentially. Elliot Park supported the project but their letter was very clear that they have huge problems with the project, which were more or less the same as DTNC.

It will be interesting to see how the council proceeds especially with the community opposition and with a new Mayor and Council in January how that will effect things.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » November 29th, 2017, 10:19 pm

I'd make exceptions to build this one out of tinfoil and balsa wood. It's supposed to be temporary, right?
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

Qhaberl
Foshay Tower

Postby Qhaberl » November 30th, 2017, 7:17 am

After a brief glance, I would rather see the retail portion be at ground level as opposed to in the skyways. I'm not sure that a residential lobby will necessarily activate the street and put eyes on the street.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Silophant

Postby Silophant » November 30th, 2017, 9:18 am

Yeah, that's not great.

Looks like the DMNA officially rescinded their support on the grounds that it's not dense enough. Good for them!
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

MattW
Rice Park

Postby MattW » November 30th, 2017, 9:22 am

Yeah, that's not great.

Looks like the DMNA officially rescinded their support on the grounds that it's not dense enough. Good for them!
How much weight does that have?

This development is very meh to me.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » November 30th, 2017, 9:52 am

Oh, probably next to none, but it's nice to see that there's at least a couple of neighborhood associations out there that understand the need for more density instead of always going to the mat to fight for only single family homes forever.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

phop
Landmark Center

Postby phop » November 30th, 2017, 10:28 am

After a brief glance, I would rather see the retail portion be at ground level as opposed to in the skyways. I'm not sure that a residential lobby will necessarily activate the street and put eyes on the street.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
One of the original proposals did have ground level retail. Not sure why they made this change:

UPDATES SINCE CoW MEETING.
• Replaced ground floor commercial space with residential lobby space;

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » November 30th, 2017, 10:42 am

Proud of the DMNA for speaking out against this project. I worry about them sometimes as a neighborhood association being so large. It would be nice if they could be vocal about wanting the surface lots in their neighborhood filled up with 10+ story buildings.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » December 1st, 2017, 1:41 pm

Grant, isn't this property zoned for much higher density? Why would a developer worth its salt want to build just a 6 story stick built apartment building in the the CBD of a prosperous and growing city? ? Won't the city loose out on a significant amount of property taxes given the potential of this site? It seems like a very weak proposal given all these factors...

Silophant

Postby Silophant » December 1st, 2017, 1:50 pm

The developer is Interstate Parking. They're only doing apartments because they know a naked ramp won't get approved by the city.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » December 1st, 2017, 2:13 pm

The developer is Interstate Parking. They're only doing apartments because they know a naked ramp won't get approved by the city.
It's very poor land use/utilization of this property. The city should ask them to go back to the drawing board like they instructed KA with their original proposal a few blocks away.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » December 1st, 2017, 2:53 pm

I wanna go to the meeting and say this doesn't fit the neighborhood character

mplser
US Bank Plaza

Postby mplser » December 1st, 2017, 8:34 pm

it will RUIN the CHARACTER OF THE NEIGHBORHOOD! WHAT ARE THEY THINKING???? yeah lets all go to the meeting lol

Tiller
Foshay Tower

Postby Tiller » December 4th, 2017, 6:31 am

it will RUIN the CHARACTER OF THE NEIGHBORHOOD! WHAT ARE THEY THINKING???? yeah lets all go to the meeting lol
This seems like an opportunity for a hilarious streets.mn outing, is there an actual meeting we can go to? :lol: