Holidazzle Market

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
bapster2006
Foshay Tower

Re: Holidazzle Market

Postby bapster2006 » December 8th, 2014, 6:16 pm

My experience on Sunday exactly matched the article. I and my guest stayed about 20 minutes at the Peavey Plaza marketplace and then left. I then went to Whitey's for my food and beer where I discovered this article and read it. I wouldn't see any reason to go twice this season but I am looking forward to the improvements for next year. The Star Tribune comments seem to be about 98% the same.

Minneboy
US Bank Plaza

Postby Minneboy » December 9th, 2014, 8:58 am

The current Holidizzle Market would be fine for my home town of Zumbrota.

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » December 9th, 2014, 10:06 am

I haven't been yet, but my friends that have gone said it was fun. I'll have to try to make it down there...I'm sure there are improvements to be made....but sheesh, the negativity from some. As if the city is required to put on some fabulous holiday event each year that is perfect for you. Perhaps with all the negative response and lack of constructive criticism they will just do nothing next year. Wouldn't blame them.

Sounds like it's been fairly popular...I am sure they will improve it for next time. It's the first year! Try to look on the bright side people! :)

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » December 9th, 2014, 10:40 am

Sort of a "no one goes--it's too popular" situation.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » December 9th, 2014, 11:56 am

My friends and I have been going their for lunch and rather enjoy the food and talking to the vendors and speculating what future years could be like if this is successful. (one of these such friends has spent a number of years of his life in Germany and has enjoyed their chirstmas markets as well.)

To condemn a first attempt at a market in comparison of centuries of European tradition is a little little like taking a toddler off a trike and throwing them on a road bike and expecting them to commute to pre school.

It's an exciting move for Mpls and I'm excited for the future of the event.

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » December 9th, 2014, 1:14 pm

Well said!

kirby96
Union Depot

Postby kirby96 » December 9th, 2014, 3:55 pm

To condemn a first attempt at a market in comparison of centuries of European tradition is a little little like taking a toddler off a trike and throwing them on a road bike and expecting them to commute to pre school.
I think it's pretty lame, but I'll concede it should get better in the future. That said, given the decades of past hollidazzle (and other) parades, block parties, all-star games, concerts, etc. ad nauseum, I think a better analogy is that for the event-planning talent in Minneapolis it should be more like taking a 57 year old trucker who's driven dump trucks, semi-trailers, snow-plows, and panel trucks and expecting him to drive a flat-bed.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » December 9th, 2014, 5:25 pm

I think it's pretty lame, but I'll concede it should get better in the future. That said, given the decades of past hollidazzle (and other) parades, block parties, all-star games, concerts, etc. ad nauseum, I think a better analogy is that for the event-planning talent in Minneapolis it should be more like taking a 57 year old trucker who's driven dump trucks, semi-trailers, snow-plows, and panel trucks and expecting him to drive a flat-bed.
Yes because they had to purchase all new supplies that they haven't had to do in 20 some years, I'd imagine some cash flow in the next years will have a big impact. Coordinating with international vendors and set all this up for the first time. to imply that it's anything like a snap of a fingers change from a parade or a block party that happens in one afternoon, that no one has to pay for or be kept track of for the season is silly. PLUS I get to enjoy this for the whole season I really only feel like standing out in the cold for a parade MAYBE once a year. this is a much better deal, also it was only 2 dollars on the weekday I went. SO rough.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » December 10th, 2014, 7:20 am

Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

Snelbian
Rice Park

Postby Snelbian » December 10th, 2014, 8:20 am

Because it wouldn't be a Doucheray column without bizarre, unrelated, and factually incorrect critiques of light rail...

Unrelated - why the emphasis on Germany? I mean, sure, these markets are a German tradition. But the only European Christmas markets I've been to were in Sheffield and Barcelona, cities not exactly known for their love of lederhosen and bratwurst. It seems to me Minneapolis should consider just doing a Minneapolis Holiday Market next year, rather than flying in imported goods from Dusseldorf just because.

talindsay
Wells Fargo Center

Postby talindsay » December 10th, 2014, 9:47 am

Unrelated - why the emphasis on Germany? I mean, sure, these markets are a German tradition. But the only European Christmas markets I've been to were in Sheffield and Barcelona, cities not exactly known for their love of lederhosen and bratwurst. It seems to me Minneapolis should consider just doing a Minneapolis Holiday Market next year, rather than flying in imported goods from Dusseldorf just because.
Agreed. And if they *were* going to import a tradition, why Germany? Minneapolis isn't especially German or known for being German more than any upper Mississippi River valley city or indeed any part of the midwest. If we were going to import somebody else's tradition, the logical choices would be Scandinavian countries since that's the thing that Minneapolis is historically linked with. Actually, in general it's always disappointing how little Scandinavian culture appears in Minneapolis given the supposed linkages.

MinnMonkey
Landmark Center

Postby MinnMonkey » December 10th, 2014, 9:50 am

My friends and I have been going their for lunch and rather enjoy the food and talking to the vendors and speculating what future years could be like if this is successful. (one of these such friends has spent a number of years of his life in Germany and has enjoyed their chirstmas markets as well.)
Did any of the vendors indicate how there sales have been?

MN Fats
Union Depot

Postby MN Fats » December 10th, 2014, 10:59 am

Unrelated - why the emphasis on Germany?
If you read the article, he said he was just in Berlin to visit the kid he used to have.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » December 10th, 2014, 11:21 am

Agreed. And if they *were* going to import a tradition, why Germany? Minneapolis isn't especially German or known for being German more than any upper Mississippi River valley city or indeed any part of the midwest. If we were going to import somebody else's tradition, the logical choices would be Scandinavian countries since that's the thing that Minneapolis is historically linked with. Actually, in general it's always disappointing how little Scandinavian culture appears in Minneapolis given the supposed linkages.
Not to pick nits, but we're not nearly as Scandinavian as people think we are. For some reason that heritage seems more celebrated in Minneapolis (and the region), while German ancestry is somewhat relegated to being the boring default setting, despite the fact that nearly a quarter of the population can claim German ancestry.

From Wikipedia:
White Americans make up about three-fifths of Minneapolis's population. This community is predominantly of German and Scandinavian descent. There are 82,870 German Americans in the city, making up over one-fifth (23.1%) of the population. The Scandinavian American population is primarily Norwegian and Swedish. There are 39,103 Norwegian Americans, making up 10.9% of the population; there are 30,349 Swedish Americans, making up 8.5% of the city's population.
P.S. [offtopic] There is a hilarious photo used on Wikipedia in this paragraph discussing white people. A bunch of chubby nerds smiling & waving at the camera at a Twins game :lol:

LakeCharles
Foshay Tower

Postby LakeCharles » December 10th, 2014, 12:55 pm

Not to pick nits, but we're not nearly as Scandinavian as people think we are. For some reason that heritage seems more celebrated in Minneapolis (and the region), while German ancestry is somewhat relegated to being the boring default setting, despite the fact that nearly a quarter of the population can claim German ancestry.
The difference is that many states/cities have a strong German component, while not many have the amount of Scandinavians we do. So even though they only make up ~20% of the city, that makes us stand out compared to other cities.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » December 10th, 2014, 1:02 pm

You do know that of the white population in the state, German is by far the biggest ethnic group, right? My quick search didn't turn up any solid data for the city itself but I think it's safe to say the Germans likely outnumber everyone else there too. The Scandinavians are much better at marketing. :)

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » December 10th, 2014, 1:04 pm

The difference is that many states/cities have a strong German component, while not many have the amount of Scandinavians we do.
Some cities in Michigan and Wisconsin would disagree with you.

LakeCharles
Foshay Tower

Postby LakeCharles » December 10th, 2014, 1:06 pm

Dispersal of German Americans: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:German1346.gif
Dispersal of Scandinavians: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Censu ... States.png

The first is the entire Midwest. The second is largely Minnesota (and Utah and Washington).

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » December 10th, 2014, 2:25 pm

Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

Snelbian
Rice Park

Postby Snelbian » December 10th, 2014, 2:37 pm

Unrelated - why the emphasis on Germany?
If you read the article, he said he was just in Berlin to visit the kid he used to have.
I meant of the market itself.