The Commons - Downtown East Park

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Re: The Commons - Downtown East Park

Postby Wedgeguy » September 30th, 2015, 9:29 am

They're working pretty aggressivley at it today, I'd imagine it will be gone by 3pm.
I saw them spraying water and the back hoe going about 4 yesterday when I got off the train at the DTE station. That section had stood there for a few weeks now. Would think they want to get things dug out if they are going to, and get the area filled in before it starts to freeze and makes work more difficult.

mngreg
Block E

Postby mngreg » October 1st, 2015, 11:24 am

The last of it disappeared first thing this morning. Down by 8am. And yes, they are digging out the basement and all the tunnels, etc. That's one reason the last section stood for so long, they've been digging out a lot of debris so they could get to it. Plus they just got done removing the tunnel under Park, so now the equipment could get onto the street to bring it down.

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » October 1st, 2015, 12:56 pm

Back to topic - anyone want to wager a guess as to when the Strib building will be completely demolished?
I say Sept. 18th.
Well, my guess was very off! Star Tribune building is officially dust. 10/1/15

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » October 1st, 2015, 1:52 pm

The last of it disappeared first thing this morning. Down by 8am. And yes, they are digging out the basement and all the tunnels, etc. That's one reason the last section stood for so long, they've been digging out a lot of debris so they could get to it. Plus they just got done removing the tunnel under Park, so now the equipment could get onto the street to bring it down.
Did not know there was a tunnel under Park! Was that a Strib tunnel or one of the city's tunnels??

I see that the street diet has begun. Looks like Portland between the new WF towers is finally getting the new 2 lane width curb and gutters. Thought they were doing the same on Park. I could not get a good look, but it looks like there will be a very wide sidewalk next the MFSA parking ramp. Might be that the parking ramp is just set back further than I thought it was. So we will see if they get the new curbs in before the freezing weather, or if it will be an early spring project getting the curbs poured around the park.

sanguinic
Metrodome

Strib tunnels

Postby sanguinic » October 1st, 2015, 8:19 pm

I wasn't aware of a tunnel under Park, although there could have been one. I was in the tunnel under Portland in late March, it was used to deliver materials to the presses when the printing plant occupied the basement, first and second floors of the building. I didn't know that it existed until that day.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » October 1st, 2015, 8:24 pm

I think Mngreg meant Portland and not Park. Was there a warehouse where the parking lot is across Portland at one time for there to be a tunnel?

mngreg
Block E

Postby mngreg » October 2nd, 2015, 9:40 am

I did mean Portland, not Park. Sorry for the confusion.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » October 7th, 2015, 6:17 pm

Man, what a difference with the Strib building gone. Even with the rubble mounds, you can see both the WF towers, the MSFA ramp, and the stadium in full view. That will be one expansive view from in front of the armory on 5th. FYI, the large upper windows on the south end of the barrel vault are out. Brain farted to check the north end when I walked by. Was blown away by the wide open view and forgot to look.

Munch'n
Nicollet Mall

Postby Munch'n » October 12th, 2015, 5:24 pm

Couldn't see this mentioned anywhere so...

http://www.downtowneastcommonsmpls.com/

Meeting on Wednesday.
Meet me in Wells

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » October 14th, 2015, 4:15 pm

A lot of new information and much more detailed plans going in front of planning commission next week

http://minneapolismn.gov/www/groups/pub ... 150258.pdf

MinnMonkey
Landmark Center

Postby MinnMonkey » October 15th, 2015, 7:42 am

A lot of new information and much more detailed plans going in front of planning commission next week

http://minneapolismn.gov/www/groups/pub ... 150258.pdf
Page 35 states that the existing mature trees across from the old Strib building will be preserved!

holmstar
Nicollet Mall

Postby holmstar » October 15th, 2015, 8:20 am

Page 35 states that the existing mature trees across from the old Strib building will be preserved!
GOOD.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » October 15th, 2015, 9:15 am

Awesome actually!

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » October 15th, 2015, 11:02 am

It would be nice if they planned to preserve ALL of the existing trees.

nordeast homer
US Bank Plaza

Postby nordeast homer » October 15th, 2015, 12:21 pm

I count a total of 7 trees left and of those 7 only 2 would be classified as mature trees. Not sure they went out of their way on this one.

monprin
Block E

Postby monprin » October 15th, 2015, 6:37 pm

So since all of these renderings have notably dropped the DTE Station block, does anyone know what will happen with that, along with Chicago Ave as well for that matter?

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » October 16th, 2015, 9:51 am

Biked by last night. Unless I miscounted, there are only three trees left.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » October 16th, 2015, 10:15 am

Biked by last night. Unless I miscounted, there are only three trees left.
That's what I see from my office window.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » October 16th, 2015, 11:57 am

So since all of these renderings have notably dropped the DTE Station block, does anyone know what will happen with that, along with Chicago Ave as well for that matter?
It's owned by a different group (the MSFA I believe), so they wouldn't be in the same batch of renderings. They haven't yet announced any specifics, but several stories have mentioned that something will happen there.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » October 20th, 2015, 7:10 pm

It's owned by a different group (the MSFA I believe), so they wouldn't be in the same batch of renderings. They haven't yet announced any specifics, but several stories have mentioned that something will happen there.
So Alatus was able to the the money they wanted out of that parking ramp. I know that they were proposing a building there so that they could get top dollar for the garage.