The Commons - Downtown East Park

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Downtown East - Wells Fargo / Radisson Red / Edition Apt

Postby mnmike » September 16th, 2015, 4:40 pm

Just attempted to take the bus a couple miles...moved exactly one block in 12 minutes... Walked. That'll teach me to try to take the bus instead of walking.

trigonalmayhem

Postby trigonalmayhem » September 16th, 2015, 7:27 pm

The third ave detour is nightmarish during the pm rush hour.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » September 17th, 2015, 8:55 am

Can't we have bus-only lanes on a temporary basis when these sorts of things happen? Or bus/bike lanes? Heck you could even put out a wall of jersey barriers to temporarily segregate it.

Archiapolis
US Bank Plaza

Postby Archiapolis » September 17th, 2015, 9:02 am

Can't we have bus-only lanes on a temporary basis when these sorts of things happen? Or bus/bike lanes? Heck you could even put out a wall of jersey barriers to temporarily segregate it.
Hahahahaha! Wait, is this a serious comment?

Prohibit cars for a few weeks or months?! Are you a CRAZY person?!

VikingFaninMaryland
Nicollet Mall

Postby VikingFaninMaryland » September 17th, 2015, 10:48 am

It seems to me that the park could be closed off to traffic along Park, Portland and Chicago generally while structuring the surface of the new park along those routes so that emergency and event vehicles could access the routes in event of emergencies. This could be enhanced by signal activated barriers that would open access to authorized vehicles. Built into the basic design of the park, it could be done elegantly. Concrete pathways that allow grass to grow in gaps, etc.

Just a thought.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » September 17th, 2015, 12:52 pm

^^^^^ Just a why not. Would be a bitch to plow in the winter, and every spring you are going to have to re-sod the areas you tore up by snow plowing in the winter. Also we know how things don't tend to work well at below zero and after ice storms. My 2 cents on why not.

Minneboy
US Bank Plaza

Postby Minneboy » September 17th, 2015, 1:25 pm

^^^It sounds as if you are only commenting on the grass part of his idea. As for the other part I have stated the same proposal which gets no comments. I still think it's a great idea to close the street except for emergency vehicles which could activate the gates like they do with semaphores. As for the grass idea, why not just paint the road green? Why not?

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » September 17th, 2015, 1:43 pm

^^^It sounds as if you are only commenting on the grass part of his idea. As for the other part I have stated the same proposal which gets no comments. I still think it's a great idea to close the street except for emergency vehicles which could activate the gates like they do with semaphores. As for the grass idea, why not just paint the road green? Why not?
I just look what happens in the winter with the 394 reverse lanes when the gates freeze up for a week or so before they can thaw out. I'm betting those gates of yours will have the same issues after ice storms and below zero temps. You brought up the grass and I brought up the cost of having to replace the sod each spring after the plows make a mess of it. I'm just pointing out real downside to your plan. You can agree or disagree, that is fine. But I see them as real problems as far as function and future costs to repair when they are not working properly? Not sure you looked that far out.

Not looking at the cons of certain processes has cause companies to go bankrupt, they only wanted to look at the positive and the negative came in and wiped them out.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » September 17th, 2015, 2:33 pm

Can we unlock the Commons thread and move this over there?

KML_1981
Nicollet Mall

Postby KML_1981 » September 18th, 2015, 2:15 pm

This prob goes in Commons thread, but it is locked. Anywho:

http://www.mprnews.org/story/2015/09/18 ... arking-lot

Deal reached with morgue. Opens park up.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Re: The Commons - Downtown East Park

Postby Wedgeguy » September 18th, 2015, 3:51 pm

Thanks KML, that is great news to those of us that feared the Commons would be a corporate park instead of a civic park. Will also save some of the grass in the park. Good news!!!

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » September 19th, 2015, 9:23 am

... So I guess that parking lot isn't going anywhere any time soon. Sigh.

gpete
Union Depot

Postby gpete » September 20th, 2015, 1:53 pm

Vikings will still have the right to hold events at the Commons on game days. Couldn't they decide to erect tents at the morgue *and* on the Commons? This deal expands their options on game days.

Also using morgue parking lot will cost nearly $300k per year from MSFA (public dollars).

Am I understanding this deal correctly?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » September 20th, 2015, 2:18 pm

Vikings will still have the right to hold events at the Commons on game days. Couldn't they decide to erect tents at the morgue *and* on the Commons? This deal expands their options on game days.

Also using morgue parking lot will cost nearly $300k per year from MSFA (public dollars).

Am I understanding this deal correctly?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Would all depend on many variables. If the Vikings can erect the large tents once at the beginning of the season and leave it up on the parking lot, then that would save them money. Other wise they would have to erect and take down the tents after each game, an extra expense. The large tents would be more secure on the Hennepin county land than in the park. I don't think the Vikings get to set and forget the tents between games in the park. The Vikings may be able to set up smaller tents besides the big ones, but I don't see the citizen of MPLS letting the park be Viking Zone from preseason until the last game. When they have nothing happening in the park during weekend days and out of town game weekends citizen will want the park for themselves. The parking lot gives us hard surface and not grass/mud on rainy days. Those are my impressions.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » September 20th, 2015, 7:33 pm

Why don't they use the GIGANTIC plaza for tents, or perhaps the top of the underground parking ramp.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » September 20th, 2015, 7:59 pm

Why don't they use the GIGANTIC plaza for tents, or perhaps the top of the underground parking ramp.
I think they want the plaza for queuing up people for going into those main doors. If they were to fill, (level off) above the ramp they could do that too. But they would have to get the support stubs buried so that people would not trip over them. Because the ramp was built to have a potential building above it, there are above the ramp support stubs where the extra rebar is meant to tie in with the new project above it. There also would not really be enough space with Portland and 4th still being used for traffic to have a safe space for a lot of people. Other big issue for a tent there, like the park, is that people will have to cross over the Street and LRT tracks to get to the stadium. But then THOSE stairs would probably at the end of the tent that they could erect. Face it, tailgating now will not be an easy breezy time like in the past. We now have Green and Blue lines that will limit the amount of time pedestrians can cross the track without a skyway or stairs. You'll have to be sober enough to be able to do stair, not get run over on the street, or get hit by a LRT train.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » September 29th, 2015, 5:44 pm

Why is that last section of the Strib building taking so long to bring down??

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » September 29th, 2015, 5:46 pm

Saving materials

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » September 29th, 2015, 9:57 pm

Saving materials
After all this time they are still removing the salvageable stone work. Either there was more in the lobby than I thought, or they just waited until the last thing to get to that section. Anyone know if they are digging out the old basement floors and walls, or just filling it in with dirt?

nfschauer
Nicollet Mall

Postby nfschauer » September 30th, 2015, 7:48 am

They're working pretty aggressivley at it today, I'd imagine it will be gone by 3pm.