The Commons - Downtown East Park

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
seanrichardryan
IDS Center

The Commons - Downtown East Park

Postby seanrichardryan » January 9th, 2015, 11:47 pm

Formerly tentatively known as "The Yard", now tentatively being called "The Commons", this park now has its own thread. Earlier discussion can be found in the Downtown East / Wells Fargo development thread.

Architect recommended in committee - http://www.startribune.com/blogs/288055561.html
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

PhilmerPhil

Re: The Commons - Downtown East Park

Postby PhilmerPhil » February 13th, 2015, 5:46 pm

City to host public meeting to discuss the design of the Downtown East Commons

6-7:30 p.m. Tuesday, Feb. 24, 2015
Mill City Museum
704 Second St. S.

http://www.minneapolismn.gov/news/WCMS1P-137627

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » February 19th, 2015, 12:39 am

Minneboy
US Bank Plaza

Postby Minneboy » February 19th, 2015, 7:20 am

Good survey, thanks for posting Grant.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » February 19th, 2015, 8:31 am

Thanks! I took the survey and thought it might be fun to talk about the options a little bit. Here are my answers to each of the pertinent questions:

1. Let us know which recreation activities and amenities you would like Downtown East Commons to include by checking your 3 highest priorities:
1A. I checked Playground and Sprayground/Spash Pad, and then wrote in Other - a water feature like a pond or stream. I'm not sure it couldn't be a combination of several of the items though.
2. Let us know which performances/events you would like Downtown East Commons to include by checking your 3 highest priorities:
2A. I checked Music Performances, Winter Markets/Winter Carnival (i.e. Christmas Village), and Familiy/Children Events & Activities
3. Let us know which education/interpretation activities and amenities you would like Downtown East Commons to include by checking your 3 highest priorities:
3A. I didn't really get what they were asking for, but selected Youth/School Programs, Sustainability, and Education Events (seemed to be the most general answer)
4. Let us know which special features/destination attractions you would like Downtown East Commons to include by checking your 3 highest priorities:
4A. I checked Great Lawn, Pavilion/Shade Structures, and Other - All of the above! This was one area where I really couldn't find the best 3 choices because nearly all of them seemed like must-haves. I really hope they seriously consider that option, because having all of the above or nearly all of the above would truly create an attraction and gathering place for all walks of life, kind of like the Lake Harriet Pavilion does now.
5. What is your favorite Minneapolis urban park, and why?
5A. The Grand Rounds, because it's a great place to people watch and exercise [that's highly centralized and accessible to everyone] that last part I added just now. I didn't think I would have that much space to write on the survey.
6. What is your favorite urban park anywhere, and why?:
6A. Central Park, NYC, because it's a natural gathering place and destination that ties urban features with nature (again, I didn't know how much I could write so I kept it short and sweet)
7. What word or phrase best describes what you think the Commons should be?:
7A. "Gathering place"

I was glad to see that they were taking the public's opinion into consideration like this and it makes me feel like I"m at least partially contributing to the development and outcome of the park. For most of the questions I had a very hard time limiting my answers to the best 3, because usually "All of the above" were noteworthy and should be considered. Particularly for #4, which included options for: Interactive Fountains, Public Arrt, Feature Lighting, Restaurants/Cafes/Beer Gardens (yes to all!), Casual Seating Options, Great Lawn, Public Restrooms (why is this even a question? Of course bathrooms are necessary, and they should be well maintained), Food Trucks, Urban Gardens, Pavilion/Shade Structures, Bike/Equipment Rentals (I originally had this checked as it's a natural place for all kinds of ride sharing features, incl. cars as well, but I figured most of the cyclists out there would make sure this gets consideration), a Stage, and finally Other. I don't see why just about all of this couldn't be featured at this park.

Minneboy
US Bank Plaza

Postby Minneboy » February 19th, 2015, 3:21 pm

I did write that it wasn't wise to put any permanent seating areas, including picnic tables. It would become a permanent bedroom for drunks.

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » February 19th, 2015, 3:22 pm

I did write that it wasn't wise to put any permanent seating areas, including picnic tables. It would become a permanent bedroom for drunks.
Nice.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » February 19th, 2015, 5:38 pm

Why? That doesn't seem to be a problem at Government Plaza or Gold Medal Park, both only a couple blocks away.

Minneboy
US Bank Plaza

Postby Minneboy » February 19th, 2015, 6:15 pm

Why? That doesn't seem to be a problem at Government Plaza or Gold Medal Park, both only a couple blocks away.
Well there are lot more people in that area moving about, they are also much smaller in size. I also don't want to see permanent public bathrooms on the park, unless they can only be opened during certain approved events.

helsinki
Landmark Center

Postby helsinki » February 19th, 2015, 6:18 pm

This park won't attract very many people if there is no place to sit. And the purpose is to attract people - of all stripes. Old folks, especially, will want someplace to sit. If the only patrons were dog-walkers and weekend frisbee-enthusiasts, this would be a really lame park.

There are ways to misanthropically design benches that aren't too offensive: train stations and airports do this by making rather short benches with a prominent armrest in the middle so it is impossible to lie down on. I would tend to agree, though, that drunks sleeping in the park probably won't be a problem. Overall, I hope some generalized fear of the poor doesn't lead to bad design decisions.

My favorite parks are those with good places to sit, nice trees, things to look at (buildings, other people), options to get a bite or a beverage of some sort, and hopefully a decent musician or two. Convoluted landscape architecture and overwrought programming concepts I find disorienting and boring. Hoping this park has more of the former.
Last edited by helsinki on February 19th, 2015, 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » February 19th, 2015, 6:31 pm

Well there are lot more people in that area moving about, they are also much smaller in size. I also don't want to see permanent public bathrooms on the park, unless they can only be opened during certain approved events.
What would the park be for then, on days where there was no programmed activity? Sitting in grass?

If you're worried about homeless people wrecking the park, it'd be more more effective, beneficial, and frankly humane to invest more in both security and in ending homelessness.

Minneboy
US Bank Plaza

Postby Minneboy » February 19th, 2015, 8:53 pm

What would the park be for then, on days where there was no programmed activity? Sitting in grass?

If you're worried about homeless people wrecking the park, it'd be more more effective, beneficial, and frankly humane to invest more in both security and in ending homelessness.
Yes I agree. Will start by taxing you at 100%. We all know that's not going to happen. It hasn't happened since the dawn of mankind.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » February 19th, 2015, 8:58 pm

Yes I agree. Will start by taxing you at 100%. We all know that's not going to happen. It hasn't happened since the dawn of mankind.
your lack of constructive input is frequently obnoxious. You have identified a legitimate problem but offered no legitimate solution. Your ideas are reactive and entitled. Not in the least proactive or plausible. Constantly extreme and combative.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » February 19th, 2015, 10:28 pm

Certainly, when I think of Gold Medal Park, the first thing that comes to mind is a hive of activity, with good clean employed people roaming around keeping an eye on the filthy homeless drifters and keeping them from sleeping on the benches.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

Minneboy
US Bank Plaza

Postby Minneboy » February 20th, 2015, 8:08 am

[quote="Nathan"][/quote]
First let me thank you for pointing out my flaws. You're a rock star, since you obviously have none and always point out others. Your contributions are always spot on Mr. Rock Star.

I for one am all for green spaces downtown. I used to advocate for Block E to to be a full block plaza over underground parking. Perfect central location for a green space. You know what, practically everyone who has been on the previous formats of this one have always shat on the idea because they were saying the exact same thing I am now promoting and because they don't like certain types of people, i.e. race equals drug pushers etc.

Why do people have to question one's ideas. They are mine. I don't feel I have to be forced to explain everything I state. Please remember that.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » February 20th, 2015, 8:21 am

Questioning each other's ideas are part of having a discussion. If you want to broadcast your thoughts without any interactions with the reader, start a blog and turn off the comments.

Stating an idea is a freedom, but it doesn't mean the idea can't be discussed. Because, you know, we have that freedom.

Sent from my phone

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » February 20th, 2015, 8:35 am

Why do people have to question one's ideas. They are mine. I don't feel I have to be forced to explain everything I state. Please remember that.
Because this is a place for discussion. If you want to just shout things into the void, write a letter to the editor of the Star Tribune.

HuskyGrad
Union Depot

Postby HuskyGrad » February 20th, 2015, 9:07 am

I voted for sledding. I'm hopeful. :twisted:

Silophant

Postby Silophant » February 20th, 2015, 9:16 am

I will admit to voting for a few options, like a sledding hill, specifically because they would make it difficult for the Vikings to take over the entire park.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » February 20th, 2015, 9:33 am

I will admit to voting for a few options, like a sledding hill, specifically because they would make it difficult for the Vikings to take over the entire park.
Ski jump.