The Commons - Downtown East Park

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Re: The Commons - Downtown East Park

Postby seanrichardryan » February 26th, 2015, 10:33 pm

Well, if we do intend this to be a real neighborhood with street-front restaurant and the like, having some access on the north face of those blocks for delivery trucks etc would be preferred, as well as all the *fabulous events planned by the Wilfs. That's not to say a woonerf wouldn't work.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » February 27th, 2015, 2:00 pm

I was driving around here the other day and wondered if the jail would ever go away. If it did we'd have unobstructed views to city hall from the Commons -- except for the small apartment building being built on the west end.

It would be pretty needs to have a front (side) lawn of city hall stretch to the stadium. I wonder if we're going to regret those apartment buildings.

Of course I have no idea if the jail will ever go away, though St. Paul got rid of theirs so...

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » February 27th, 2015, 2:10 pm

That jail is pretty new...

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » February 27th, 2015, 2:19 pm

That jail is pretty new...
Sure, but what about 30 years from now. Will we be willing to tear down both buildings for a park?

Just proposing a thought experiment.

PhilmerPhil

Postby PhilmerPhil » February 27th, 2015, 2:26 pm

I dunno, I guess if we're somehow able to get rid of the jail, I'm sure we can find a way to get rid of a 6 story stick apartment building, no?

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » February 27th, 2015, 2:31 pm

I was driving around here the other day and wondered if the jail would ever go away. If it did we'd have unobstructed views to city hall from the Commons -- except for the small apartment building being built on the west end.

It would be pretty needs to have a front (side) lawn of city hall stretch to the stadium. I wonder if we're going to regret those apartment buildings.

Of course I have no idea if the jail will ever go away, though St. Paul got rid of theirs so...
I've brought this up many times, but nobody ever bites... the best solution for a western park wall and terminating vista would be to build housing on the eastern third of the jail block, which is supposedly just covered parking right now. That could be integrated into redevelopment. Jail stays, more housing, better park frontage. Wins all around.

HuskyGrad
Union Depot

Postby HuskyGrad » February 27th, 2015, 2:32 pm

Excuse my question of history here. But, what existed on the blocks that the Hennepin Government Center resides on prior to its construction?

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » February 27th, 2015, 2:49 pm

Excuse my question of history here. But, what existed on the blocks that the Hennepin Government Center resides on prior to its construction?
Here they are from above in 1938 (you can see City Hall in the upper right, south is bottom).

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » February 27th, 2015, 3:35 pm

Wow, quite a few cars and surface parking lots, even in 1938...

Sort of further off-topic, but also on-topic with regards to street operations/closures: Were all/most of the streets in that 1938 photo two-way streets?

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » February 27th, 2015, 4:22 pm

Nick Magrino
[email protected]

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » February 27th, 2015, 4:44 pm

I've brought this up many times, but nobody ever bites... the best solution for a western park wall and terminating vista would be to build housing on the eastern third of the jail block, which is supposedly just covered parking right now. That could be integrated into redevelopment. Jail stays, more housing, better park frontage. Wins all around.
That seems like a pretty bad place to build housing -- in case any inmates find a way to escape. I know my family would be hesitant to come visit me right next to a jail.

Otherwise I like your idea, but maybe it can be tweaked a little...

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » February 27th, 2015, 4:48 pm

Fun read. I hope it gains some traction. There has to be a better alternative!

web

Postby web » February 27th, 2015, 9:20 pm

arent there 2 seperate jails and then a lockdown ward at hcmc all in the vicinity ?

contrast
Nicollet Mall

Postby contrast » February 27th, 2015, 9:55 pm

The Juvenile Detention Center (jail/prison) is the south face of the park between Portland and Park, and the Public Safety Facility (adult jail) is the northwestern face across 5th as well as the southern upper floors of the City Hall Courthouse overlooking the Government Center north plaza.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » March 2nd, 2015, 9:21 pm

Would something such as this work for the 2 blocks of S 5th St? Between 5th Ave and Park?

IllogicalJake
Target Field

Postby IllogicalJake » March 5th, 2015, 9:10 am

Is there a thread for the Wells Fargo buildings that I'm missing? Quick search didn't turn it up.

EDIT: nvm, thanks Peter :D
Last edited by IllogicalJake on March 5th, 2015, 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
i talk too much. web dev, downtown. admin @ tower.ly

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » March 5th, 2015, 9:21 am

Looks like it's already fallen onto the second page: https://forum.streets.mn/viewtopic.php?f=13& ... start=2220

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » March 11th, 2015, 5:37 pm

This should probably go in anything goes... but I'm going to put it here because I think it's moderately relevant. And talk about good conversation about modern architecture and the urban context... and what makes a good public space. clearly there won't be this kind of money spent here for quite some time. but what a cool way to possibly connect the blocks or create a sense of space. Feel free to move if need be.

https://vimeo.com/121485557

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » March 17th, 2015, 10:38 am

So, if the MLS does indeed go to the good doctor's Farmer's Market Stadium site, that should free up a bunch of the prime summer days that the Vikings potentially had the Commons on lockdown, right? This could actually be a game-changer in terms of the financial and functional viability of the park.

Rich
Rice Park

Postby Rich » March 18th, 2015, 7:10 am

But is the elimination of a few hundred thousand potential park customers an entirely positive development? MLS fans will want places to gather on game days. The Commons, and the retail establishments within and around it, would’ve served them well.