Downtown Hotel News

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
Nathan
Capella Tower

Re: Downtown Hotel News

Postby Nathan » August 21st, 2019, 7:41 am

I've been working at the Hewing hotel now almost 3 years since it opened. We have a surprising number of tourists. At least 3/4 of our business is tourism and wedding groups... y'all weddings occupy a lot of hotel rooms in this city. We also don't really slow down that much in the winter. Granted we're a boutique hotel so that probably skews it but we even get a lot of tourist from other hotels coming to ours to dine and drink, so many people from the 5 state area.

KML_1981
Nicollet Mall

Postby KML_1981 » August 21st, 2019, 8:37 am

Here is some data from Meet Minneapolis:

http://s3.amazonaws.com/meet-minneapoli ... 0503112329

There were 33.3 million visitors in 2017 to the Twin Cities metro. Of those, 24.2 million were "leisure" travelers. That's about 73%.

I didn't see 2018 numbers in a quick search, but I'm sure those are even higher given the Super Bowl.

The girls in town for a bachelorette party from Mankato--tourists. The family in town from Iowa for their cousin's wedding at Nicollet Island--tourists. We might not have planeloads of Chinese tourists arriving daily, but tourism looks pretty strong and growing.

*Edit: My bad, a visitor is counted as someone who traveled 100 miles or more, so Mankato doesn't even count. Replace that with Moorhead ;)

luigipaladio
Nicollet Mall

Postby luigipaladio » August 22nd, 2019, 10:53 am

A recent visit to the Twin Cities Outlet Mall in Eagan was like a walk through the international terminal at Schipol In Amsterdam. I heard as many different languages in a 45 minute walk around the mall as I have walking through the crazy busy terminal in Amsterdam. I am not surprised at the visitor numbers for the Twin Cities. Friends visiting here from Europe are always happily surprised by what they find here - and sometimes they manage to find things that are surprising to my more jaded self.

luigipaladio
Nicollet Mall

Postby luigipaladio » August 22nd, 2019, 10:53 am

is the Rand Tower hotel project going to get it’s own thread, or does it already have one that I’ve missed?

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » November 21st, 2020, 11:36 am

Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » June 21st, 2021, 1:09 pm

Some concerning news for downtown hotel occupancy: https://www.axios.com/are-minneapolis-h ... c73ac.html

Naturally, hotel occupancy is down region-wide (and nationwide), but the Minneapolis submarket is lagging well behind the recovery around the region (e.g. St. Paul and Bloomington) and in other markets. More data from Greater MSP: https://www.greatermsp.org/pages/hotel- ... stream=top

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » June 21st, 2021, 1:40 pm

Of note, several hotels in STP are/ were fully leased by Ramsey County as emergency shelter housing, notably Hotel 340, Intercontinental, Capitol Ridge, & The Saint Paul Hotel. Not sure if that has any effect on those numbers.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

uptownbro
Rice Park

Postby uptownbro » June 21st, 2021, 1:45 pm

I think it would for those but also the Minneapolis hotel market is driven by events in the city which only recently picked up again. People come in for a concert, night out, twins game ect all of which only started in full swing again June first. Even then most major concerts will not start until the fall. Also corporate travel was also a big driver and that might be dead moving forward.
There are other factors but that is the biggest.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » June 21st, 2021, 2:01 pm

I wouldn't consider data from April to be applicable to the 'tourism rebound'

phop
Landmark Center

Postby phop » June 21st, 2021, 2:30 pm

The only market worse than the Twin Cities in May was San Francisco (among the 25 markets compared), not great.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » June 21st, 2021, 3:07 pm

Yes, Miami topped the charts at 74.5%

Bottom ones were Boston, DC, Chicago, SF and Minneapolis. I'm wondering how smaller scale markets like Dubuque and Des Moines are doing in April?

John21
Rice Park

Postby John21 » June 21st, 2021, 6:04 pm

It’s been a crazy 15 months. If it continues into 2022, then we can worry.

MinnMonkey
Landmark Center

Postby MinnMonkey » June 21st, 2021, 6:10 pm

I don't have any numbers but I can tell you that both the Hyatt Place and the Normandy have both been significantly busier the past couple weeks.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

uptownbro
Rice Park

Postby uptownbro » June 21st, 2021, 6:14 pm

If we dont see a solid increase over Q2 and 3 then we have an issue but I think we will.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » June 21st, 2021, 7:38 pm

Was the downtown hotel building boom we saw from 2016-2019 a nationwide thing, or just Minneapolis? Doesn't seem impossible that they overshot a tad and might have been seeing occupancy issues even in a non-pandemic 2020. (or continue to overshoot, with the double hotel at 10th and Hawthorne still opening this fall.)
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

martykoessel
Landmark Center

Postby martykoessel » June 25th, 2021, 5:07 pm

I wonder if government or non-profit agencies are exploring the purchase of any of the less successful hotels for conversion into affordable housing. This was done with the University Inn near the U, and it doesn't seem a bad use for the old Sheraton near the Midtown Market. Would any of the downtown ones fit the bill? Does anyone have insight into the pros and cons of this sort of undertaking?

Silophant

Postby Silophant » June 26th, 2021, 8:04 am

Hennepin County bought the luMinn Hotel on 4th Street at about the same time as the University Inn. Looks like that was an all-suite hotel, so easier to convert/use as micro-apartments. Theoretically, the coming SRO legalization should make it easier to convert hotels into residential, though the continued ban on for-profits owning them might put a damper on how much happens.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » June 26th, 2021, 6:50 pm

I've been trying to find a hotel room for a staycation for my anniversary, but most of the hotels Downtown are catered more to businesses, than vacationers. Also there aren't as many shows and events to align with a hotel date. I get why there are vacancies.

Oreos&Milk
Landmark Center

Postby Oreos&Milk » June 30th, 2021, 11:09 am

Hennepin County bought the luMinn Hotel on 4th Street at about the same time as the University Inn. Looks like that was an all-suite hotel, so easier to convert/use as micro-apartments. Theoretically, the coming SRO legalization should make it easier to convert hotels into residential, though the continued ban on for-profits owning them might put a damper on how much happens.
Hmm... except most of the rooms in that hotel does not include windows.... so not sure how they get around bedrooms without windows..

uptownbro
Rice Park

Postby uptownbro » November 30th, 2021, 2:50 pm

The crowne plaza in the northstar building has been sold and will become a Hotel indigo. It will open late next year after renovations are completed.
https://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/ ... plaza.html