City Club Apartments - 1000 Marquette Ave (Handicraft Building)

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
Anondson
IDS Center

10th & Marquette Development

Postby Anondson » February 19th, 2015, 7:24 pm

A nice touch would be to add some steps on the end that faces towards Orchestra Hall, and maybe making up for the removed square footage per floor by stacking a few more stories on top. It would help off set for the "interesting" pattern on the long side.

widin007
Nicollet Mall

Re: 10th & Marquette Development

Postby widin007 » February 19th, 2015, 7:33 pm

Walk ups on Marquette?? I honestly don't see that as an amenity. And the hanging balconies ugh. I'd be okay if this never happens.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » February 19th, 2015, 8:46 pm

Walk ups on Marquette?? I honestly don't see that as an amenity. And the hanging balconies ugh. I'd be okay if this never happens.
You day because people don't enjoy their hanging balconies? Say what you want but it's an economical way to give urban life some outdoor space, and a valued amenity. A consolation for people wanting a yard but wanting to live urban. The aesthetic is only marginally obstructive compared to the lifestyle gain.

widin007
Nicollet Mall

Postby widin007 » February 19th, 2015, 9:16 pm

You day because people don't enjoy their hanging balconies? Say what you want but it's an economical way to give urban life some outdoor space, and a valued amenity. A consolation for people wanting a yard but wanting to live urban. The aesthetic is only marginally obstructive compared to the lifestyle gain.
No problems with balconies, but hanging ones look terrible to me. If they were all recessed it wouldn't be as big a deal, or even some, it just looks so tacked on.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » February 19th, 2015, 9:32 pm

So you'll have to turn left to enter this building, and turn left to leave it. Sounds awful. Also sounds like a good way for people to start illegally using the bus only lane on market to try to avoid traffic flow. Or people driving on Nicollet mall. God this is so bad.

sushisimo
Landmark Center

Postby sushisimo » February 19th, 2015, 9:44 pm

My two cents: 1) No. 2) *mic drop*

Silophant

Postby Silophant » February 19th, 2015, 9:50 pm

So you'll have to turn left to enter this building, and turn left to leave it. Sounds awful. Also sounds like a good way for people to start illegally using the bus only lane on market to try to avoid traffic flow. Or people driving on Nicollet mall. God this is so bad.
There's twelve parking spots. Total. It's not like this is going to be a huge traffic generator.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

TroyGBiv
US Bank Plaza

Postby TroyGBiv » February 19th, 2015, 9:50 pm

seanrichardryan

"Some good old fashion salesman bullshitting right there." Hilarious! You nailed it!

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » February 19th, 2015, 9:51 pm

What about when trucks come in?

Silophant

Postby Silophant » February 19th, 2015, 10:13 pm

What, maybe one truck per day, on average, to supply the restaurant and retail space? A little less than 300 apartments, with presumably one year leases? So, on average, two trucks per day, to a curb cut that already exists and already serves several businesses that presumably get shipments once in a while? Not too worried about it.

To be clear, I don't really think this proposal is a slam dunk. Far from it. But, given how huge of a win it is for someone to even consider developing luxury residential downtown without an assload of parking, shooting it down based on traffic concerns is shooting urbanism in the foot.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » February 19th, 2015, 10:32 pm

That is true. I've always thought it was more trucks than that since I always see like 4-6 a day at Nic off Fifth.

Anyways. I made an alternative design and now I'm just trying to get the layout correct and see where the loading docks can go and see if there's a chance of very shallow underground parking much like the Walker library in Uptown. Does anyone think target could give up about maybe 10-15 ft of their private plaza to allow for trucks and cars to go in?

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » February 19th, 2015, 10:45 pm

Did anybody else catch that tidbit about neighborhood (greater downtown) projects and Alatus' being 25-30 floors? I thought it was 35-40??

As for this project I'm glad to see more projects get announced -- it's been a bit slow lately.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » February 19th, 2015, 10:47 pm

Instead of poo-poo-ing the whole development (which rarely works, I'll point out), I'm curious what realistic suggestions folks have to make this development better. Not so much in terms of design aesthetics of the upper floors, as that's clearly subjective, but in terms of treatment of the Handicraft building and the one next to it. What could be done differently to improve what's being proposed for the ground level, both new and old?

I'm seriously asking.

Let's compile a list of realistic ways to make this development better, in a way that city staff, the Planning Commission, and elected officials can use that information to influence a better project outcome.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » February 19th, 2015, 11:03 pm

1. Keep the Devil's Advocate in its space, as the proposed restaurant. I <3 Devil's Advocate.

2. Walkup townhomes are nice, but strange for a major downtown street. Also, the proposed ones are tiny. Like, four of the five are between ~400-475 sq. ft. Fine for a studio apartment, but odd for a walk-up. Instead, have like 2-3 small retail bays, to try to keep some of the existing retail around. I would even support having the city subsidize the rents for these, if that's what it takes for some of the current occupants to stick around. I'm sure that would be a legal nightmare, though.
Last edited by Silophant on February 19th, 2015, 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

TroyGBiv
US Bank Plaza

Postby TroyGBiv » February 19th, 2015, 11:03 pm

I worked at the Mpls Inst of Arts in the early 90's and there was an exhibition called Minnesota 1900: Art and Life on the Upper Mississippi. That show included a gallery on the Handicraft Guild and the work that was made there by a wide range of crafts people. Here are the things that come to mind for how this project could be really great and not only respect the history but actually leverage it for this project. The first thing is that the period is Arts and Crafts/Prairie style. LaSalle Plaza was designed to leverage that architectural period in a contemporary way. One of the major values from that period is hand crafted work, finishes that were honest straightforward and reflected natural flora and fauna influences from the environment. Also local materials (more than just Kasota Stone) like the woods and stones and natural color palette. The other thing could be creating floor plans that reflect the different types of work made in the guild or different mediums worked in... like copper, wood, paint, varnish, inlaid wood, plant themed like Ivy, or Minnesota Lady Slipper... Ceramics, metal working, wood working, painting, drawing, etc... taking themes influences and inspirations could make this a really amazing place to live and honor and showcase the Handicraft Guild in a really distinct and Minnesotan way...

TroyGBiv
US Bank Plaza

Postby TroyGBiv » February 19th, 2015, 11:06 pm

www.mnopedia.org/group/handicraft-guild check out this page... you get a better idea about the work made there... by men AND WOMEN...

TroyGBiv
US Bank Plaza

Postby TroyGBiv » February 19th, 2015, 11:07 pm

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » February 20th, 2015, 8:18 am

On many streets, I'd love the walkup units. But as Silophant says, here, where retail is already doing pretty well, it seems like that's a much better activation of space. We really want as much ground-level, 10-16 hrs a day retail as possible in our city, and not just on Nicollet Mall. I won't say what's better financially for the developer, but I would suspect that a walkup unit here would feel very odd to a tenant.

spearson
Landmark Center

Postby spearson » February 20th, 2015, 8:25 am

Sad that this will displace Devil's Advocate, I like that place.

bapster2006
Foshay Tower

Postby bapster2006 » February 20th, 2015, 8:27 am

That is my biggest problem with this development, that they are taking out the building with those shops there. That is one stretch I like walking along because it is not a big wall or a parking lot. I wish they would put this development over in Elliot Park, but of course a developer can only work with the property owner, and that's where this property is. The saving grace here is that the building is only two thirds of a block long and quite thin, so you certainly do not get a Riverwest scenario going on here.