City Club Apartments - 1000 Marquette Ave (Handicraft Building)

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
1200onthemall
Nicollet Mall

City Club Apartments - 1000 Marquette Ave (Handicraft Building)

Postby 1200onthemall » August 31st, 2012, 5:33 am

Tcmetro
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Handicraft Building Apartments

Postby Tcmetro » August 31st, 2012, 6:07 am

Does this take care of 1016 Marquette too?

Interesting project though. Nice to see something happening right in the core.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » August 31st, 2012, 8:11 am

Weren't Pratt and Ordway the original people behind the Nicollet condo project on that same block?
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » August 31st, 2012, 8:36 am

I wonder where the apartments will go...in the interior of the lot and on the old 1016 site I guess? I think they have to keep the entire handicraft building, not just the facade, so I don't believe hollowing it out is an option...luckily. They may have some trouble designing this one on that lot, but I am sure they will get some nice tax credits for renovationg the historically designated building.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » August 31st, 2012, 8:41 am

Oh. Village Green and BKV. I think we know what this will look like. poor handicraft.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » August 31st, 2012, 8:46 am

Oh. Village Green and BKV. I think we know what this will look like. poor handicraft.
Zing!

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » August 31st, 2012, 8:53 am

I like their Mill city building. The older ones, not so much.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » August 31st, 2012, 9:26 am

I'm sure Pratt and Ordway intend to do a very classy development here.They have strong ties to our community and have a sense of civic responsibilty. I doubt you will see much trailer home materials used in this project. I think a blending of some more modern elements on the 1016 Marquette lot with the older building could look interesting. I hope that some street level retail is retained as part of the plan to redevelop this site.

swmpls
City Center

Postby swmpls » August 31st, 2012, 12:05 pm

I'm guessing their 10 story plan is based on the economics of the project. From everything we've been reading it sounds like patching together funding sources for projects is the biggest challenge for developers today, especially on larger projects. This is the team that proposed the Nicollet, so I'm sure they would love to do a bigger project if they could finance it.

Although I would love to see more housing in the core, this project makes me nervous. The Handicraft building has a lot of character, and we've already lost so much of our history and building diversity downtown. The building also houses probably more independent and random businesses than almost any other area of downtown (wig shop, bar, women's botique, art gallery, violin shop, future furniture design gallery, and several others). It would be a bummer to see them get priced out of the area.

I would love to see these ten stories get tacked on to the top of a new skyscraper across the street in that parking lot :)

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » August 31st, 2012, 12:20 pm

Unlike the school where a convention hotel may rise, I share your concern for the preservation of this building. Luckily, it has protected status as an historic building which prevents it from being torn down. This development will be closely scrutinized by the Minneapolis Heritage Preservation Commission which is a good thing. I also agree that it would be nice if they retain some of the retail on the street level.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » August 31st, 2012, 2:00 pm

In the original Nicollet deal, the developers were proposing to “harvest” the air rights over the Handicrafts building and use them to bump up the allowable FAR for the condo tower. I’d be concerned that any development on the Handicrafts site will ultimately limit the ability of the adjacent site to someday house a tall tower on a small footprint.

Le Sueur
Landmark Center

Postby Le Sueur » September 1st, 2012, 12:07 am

Does this proposal mean 1016 Marquette is dead? :geek:
https://forum.streets.mn/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=381

Aville_37
Union Depot

Postby Aville_37 » September 1st, 2012, 2:58 pm

I don't believe this includes the portion of the block to be redeveloped w/ the design by Dayton.

Personally - I think it's great that so many older buildings downtown are being rehabbed for reuse (old Shinder's on Hennepin, etc.). Personally - I've liked Village Green's buildings. Perhaps not always the highest quality materials - but their buildings always seem to pay respect to their surroundings, are well maintained and also incorporate lots and lots of trees/plants/green space.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » September 1st, 2012, 3:09 pm

I noticed today that the "for sale "sign is down at 1016 Marquette, so someone bought it. But ,I can't figure out how they intend to put a 10 story building up without demolishing some of the Handicraft building? You would think they would need the 1016 site to accomplish that. Truthfully, I would prefer the Dayton design on 1016 Marquette and a nice upgrade of the Handicraft as is. But if the apartment project will get the building renovated that's fine. I just wonder how many more apartment projects the market can sustain.

dmdhashw
Nicollet Mall

Postby dmdhashw » September 1st, 2012, 3:10 pm

I don't believe this includes the portion of the block to be redeveloped w/ the design by Dayton.

Personally - I think it's great that so many older buildings downtown are being rehabbed for reuse (old Shinder's on Hennepin, etc.). Personally - I've liked Village Green's buildings. Perhaps not always the highest quality materials - but their buildings always seem to pay respect to their surroundings, are well maintained and also incorporate lots and lots of trees/plants/green space.
I think they did a great job with their Mill District City Apartments. It blends right in.

TroyGBiv
US Bank Plaza

Postby TroyGBiv » September 2nd, 2012, 12:46 am

The Handicraft Building is arguably the most important arts and cultural building still existing here in Minnesota. It is not at all well known about as a heritage site... MAny of the most important Arts and Crafts, Art Nouveau, Prairie Mission artisans operated out of the building... You can see many of the decorative arts in the collection of the MIA and the Norwest Decorative Arts collection that is now part of the MIA and is also shown in the lobby of the Wells Fargo Tower. The only developable land on that side of the site is the 1016 plot - that little wedge between the WCCO basement ramp and the back wall/alley court behind the Handicraft Building. There is little chance that the air rights are at play as that is not something that is allowed under any section of the historic preservation commission or reports. The issue here is that the interior is also fully protected so nothing can happen except restoration. The Building would not be moved either as this designation is about the historic importance of this site as well. It would have been best to tear down the Target corner and the Scientology building and take the back alley courtyard and the 1016 plot to maximize the development potential. They might have been able to then see if they could have leveraged some of the back space of the Handicraft building to build a larger footprint and then reconstruct the interior of the building after the temporarily move and restoration. If any of them were really smart they would suggest that turn this protected site into a small MN historical society or MIA satellite site. The MIA already has the Purcell Cutts House in Kenwood just off Lake of the Isles - and they have a lot of the art that was created in that building.

Aville_37
Union Depot

Postby Aville_37 » September 2nd, 2012, 12:53 am

Love the idea of turning the Handicraft Building into a small MN historical site or MIA satellite site!! You should seriously contact someone about this. Downtown could use a prominent art gallery - again a cultural/unique draw for downtown!!!

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » September 2nd, 2012, 8:52 pm

So...I'm not sure how Pratt and Ordway think they can make this into a apartment complex with a 10 story addition? It seems unrealistic. I do like the idea mentioned above, and a much better use for that building. However, that would take a great deal of money. Know any wealthy patron of the arts?

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » September 3rd, 2012, 10:24 am

However, that would take a great deal of money. Know any wealthy patron of the arts?
Uh, Mr. Pratt and Mr. Ordway with thier respective spouses are.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » September 3rd, 2012, 3:57 pm

However, that would take a great deal of money. Know any wealthy patron of the arts?
Uh, Mr. Pratt and Mr. Ordway with thier respective spouses are.
Well, they must not be wealthy enough to make the Handicraft Building a cultural center.Their proposal is a money making endeavor.