Root District - Farmers Market / Royalston Station

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
twincitizen

Re: Root District - Farmers Market / Royalston Station

Postby twincitizen » February 21st, 2020, 4:02 pm

"Root District" is certainly less bad than WeDo or East Town or Old Town (currently being pushed on the East Bank / Old St. Anthony area), but it's still...obviously worse than just going with "Farmers Market District". But I guess when you pay a consultant 50 grand or whatever, they aren't going to suggest calling something what it's already called (even if informally).

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » February 22nd, 2020, 7:39 am

I don't think anyone says "Farmers Market District." It's more like "by the farmers market." So I actually like this.
Towns!

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » February 22nd, 2020, 7:45 am

Also makes for some great potential business names. Root Coffee. Root Yoga. Root Labs. Root Cycle. Rooted.
Towns!

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » February 24th, 2020, 11:20 am

twincitizen wrote:
February 21st, 2020, 4:02 pm
But I guess when you pay a consultant 50 grand or whatever, they aren't going to suggest calling something what it's already called (even if informally).
Folks, https://www.postbulletin.com/news/local ... e6da2.html

talindsay
Wells Fargo Center

Postby talindsay » February 25th, 2020, 6:02 pm

So I'm struggling to understand this "district". When I think of the Warehouse District and the Mill District, both former industrial areas turned urban neighborhoods, the revitalization started with conversions of existing old, interesting industrial buildings into lofts and creative commercial spaces. As the areas began to grow they took on identities, got more and more infill projects, and eventually came to be known the way we think of them now. They stand in contrast to revitalized near-downtown areas that were traditionally residential, such as Elliot Park and Loring Park.

But I'm looking at Google Maps and I don't even understand who would be pushing for the creation of this "district" right now - it's low-slung light industrial uses and social services facilities, on one of downtown's most disconnected street grids. It seems like their marketing is so far ahead of any potential actual reuse as to be absurd. Sure a light rail station will connect it easily with downtown but there's nothing there yet. Am I missing something or is this just pure speculative marketing?

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » February 25th, 2020, 7:55 pm

I'd imagine it's because it's about to have a light rail stop, it's very close to north loop, has the farmers market and is literally nothing but potential.

Anondson
IDS Center

Root District - Farmers Market / Royalston Station

Postby Anondson » February 25th, 2020, 7:57 pm

It would be a heckuva thing if the mushroom grower found a new spot in this district.

dajazz
Nicollet Mall

Postby dajazz » February 25th, 2020, 9:59 pm

talindsay wrote:
February 25th, 2020, 6:02 pm
But I'm looking at Google Maps and I don't even understand who would be pushing for the creation of this "district" right now - it's low-slung light industrial uses and social services facilities, on one of downtown's most disconnected street grids. It seems like their marketing is so far ahead of any potential actual reuse as to be absurd. Sure a light rail station will connect it easily with downtown but there's nothing there yet. Am I missing something or is this just pure speculative marketing?
Jackson Schwartz/Hennepin Made is the driver behind the Root District creation. His hope is to make this area the next big redevelopment downtown, especially with the lrt station coming in. He wants residential in this area, something it sorely lacks. He wants massive density and to push the height envelope. He’s been in conversations with many at the farmers market hoping to redevelop the entire site and incorporate a ‘new’ farmers market into a mixed use development. We’ll see how it plays out. The expansive boom of the North Loop core is going to near an end in the next few years as it runs out of surface lots to redevelop so this area could take off if the market doesn’t cool off.

alexschief
Target Field

Postby alexschief » February 26th, 2020, 8:09 am

dajazz wrote:
February 25th, 2020, 9:59 pm
talindsay wrote:
Jackson Schwartz/Hennepin Made is the driver behind the Root District creation. His hope is to make this area the next big redevelopment downtown, especially with the lrt station coming in. He wants residential in this area, something it sorely lacks. He wants massive density and to push the height envelope. He’s been in conversations with many at the farmers market hoping to redevelop the entire site and incorporate a ‘new’ farmers market into a mixed use development. We’ll see how it plays out. The expansive boom of the North Loop core is going to near an end in the next few years as it runs out of surface lots to redevelop so this area could take off if the market doesn’t cool off.
Still plenty of surface lots and one-story buildings in the North Loop and Warehouse District.

dajazz
Nicollet Mall

Postby dajazz » February 26th, 2020, 9:30 am

alexschief wrote:
February 26th, 2020, 8:09 am
dajazz wrote:
February 25th, 2020, 9:59 pm
talindsay wrote:
Still plenty of surface lots and one-story buildings in the North Loop and Warehouse District.
Hence why I said a 'few years'. Plus realistically some of those surface lots aren't as likely as others to be redeveloped anytime soon. You have a prime location at 2nd & Washington that is basically being held hostage for redevelopment because of bad blood between adjacent owners.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » February 26th, 2020, 9:48 am

Ah, I've been wondering what was up with that lot - it's the most obvious development parcel left in that part of the neighborhood and I've never heard even a rumor of anything being planned for it.

Return to “Minneapolis - Downtown”