Maverick - 100 Hennepin Avenue S

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
5th Ave Guy
Landmark Center

Re: 100 Hennepin Avenue S

Postby 5th Ave Guy » August 19th, 2015, 3:03 pm

Yeah, I was only comparing the old and the May one... totally forgot about the brand new one in the post directly above those. My bad.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » August 19th, 2015, 3:19 pm

I know they probably won't be, but I REALLY hope the neighborhood and CM Frey push Shorenstein to sell off the townhomes along 1st Ave as owner-occupied units. It obviously doesn't affect my life one iota, but I am damn curious what those would sell for. >$500k? Probably. Possibly quite a bit more even, given the unit size and lack of similar product available.

scottiem
City Center

Postby scottiem » August 19th, 2015, 3:36 pm

I'm sure I'm missing something, but other than the different angle, what's different between those two renderings?
Well for one, all three of the outcroppings all have the same material scheme (brick on bottom, cement board (or something) on top) rather than each having a different material color. I also like how the foreground's two story penthouse-thing is highlighted. As other have said, it feels like a cohesive whole with accents, rather than three artificially distinct elements.

Those townhouses though...not so sure about them. In general, the facade is boring. To start, the doorways seems very unassuming--I'd prefer for them to be highlighted a little more, possibly by pulling them out from the base-plane of the facade a little. My neurotic side is also disturbed that those doors are so close to being centered under the bumpouts. Even if they aren't designed to be centered, the trim doesn't even align with the window trim above, making them seem slapped in rather than intentional.

Just my two cents. Overall, great improvement.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » August 19th, 2015, 3:47 pm

I'm glad they moved the town homes to a first level entrance. No more stairs to "walk up" units please.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » August 19th, 2015, 4:04 pm

Looking more closely at the townhouse plans -- excepting the two end units, which are larger -- these units really only have one functional bedroom. The 'bonus space' on the top floor doesn't have a door, so is open to the rest of the unit.

Avian
Union Depot

Postby Avian » August 19th, 2015, 7:46 pm

Looking more closely at the townhouse plans -- excepting the two end units, which are larger -- these units really only have one functional bedroom. The 'bonus space' on the top floor doesn't have a door, so is open to the rest of the unit.
If these are going to be condos then there is plenty of space to install a door on the 2nd level at the foot of the stairs if desired. Assuming these are designed with families in mind it's plain that the 2nd floor is intended for parents (given the design of the bath) and the top floor is for kids, so closing off the top floor is optional. And a clever designer could subdivide that top floor into two sleeping spaces, if not two separated bedrooms.

For me, that top floor would be my entertainment den. :)

“Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something.”
― Plato

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » August 19th, 2015, 8:08 pm

It's hard to tell, but does that furthest-away section lack a cornice? It sure looks like it to me and it's a bit jarring. I do love the changes, though.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » August 19th, 2015, 8:37 pm

To me it looks like the right-side, slightly shorter portion of the furthest section has a cornice, but the taller portion doesn't. Hopefully it's just a mistake in the rendering or something, because why wouldn't it? Looks good overall, though.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

Archiapolis
US Bank Plaza

Postby Archiapolis » August 20th, 2015, 8:01 am

I know they probably won't be, but I REALLY hope the neighborhood and CM Frey push Shorenstein to sell off the townhomes along 1st Ave as owner-occupied units. It obviously doesn't affect my life one iota, but I am damn curious what those would sell for. >$500k? Probably. Possibly quite a bit more even, given the unit size and lack of similar product available.
$500k for essentially a 1 bedroom with an open loft?! Holy sh1t! My 3 bedroom quasi-suburban house in SW is starting to feel GIGANTIC!

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » August 20th, 2015, 9:01 am

Looks much stronger , especially the upper levels. Much better. I'm thinking it will actually improve the presence of 222 Hennepin somewhat with it's similar scale along Hennepin. The townhouses look great.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » August 20th, 2015, 11:39 am

$500k for essentially a 1 bedroom with an open loft?! Holy sh1t! My 3 bedroom quasi-suburban house in SW is starting to feel GIGANTIC!
And I think that between the two option, you're sitting pretty.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » October 14th, 2015, 4:09 pm

http://minneapolismn.gov/www/groups/pub ... 150287.pdf

This will be going to planning commission with the following recommendations by staff:
-The east elevation on the top floor, adjacent to the skyview terrace, shall be revised to include a window, material change or other architectural element to reduce the width of the blank well below 25 feet, in compliance with Section 530.120 of the zoning code.

- The curb cut on 1st St N shall be reduced to 22 feet to improve the pedestrian experience in this location.

- A minimum of three parking stalls within the parking garage shall be designated as visitor parking and signed accordingly, in compliance with Table 541-2 of the zoning code.

- A minimum of six bicycle parking spaces that meet the requirements for short-term bike parking accessory to the proposed commercial uses shall be provided, in compliance with Table 541-3 of the zoning code.

- The lighted beacon near the intersection of Hennepin Ave and 1st St N shall be retained on site within 40 feet of the intersection and the pavers and benches in this location shall be reused within the public realm along Hennepin Ave. In the event that the beacon cannot be accommodated on site, it shall be salvaged and turned over to Public Works for storage.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » October 14th, 2015, 4:20 pm

Separate file for town homes: http://minneapolismn.gov/www/groups/pub ... 150269.pdf

Staff recommends the following conditions to be added:
- The south building wall shall maintain a minimum interior side yard setback of 11 feet.

- Glazing equivalent to 20 percent of the first floor elevations on the north and west sides of the building and 10 percent of the fourth floor of the north shall be provided, in compliance with Section 530.120 of the zoning code.

- The third floor of the south elevation shall be revised to include a window, material change or other architectural element to reduce the width of the blank well below 25 feet, in compliance with Section 530.120 of the zoning code.

sushisimo
Landmark Center

Postby sushisimo » December 7th, 2015, 12:26 pm

The surface lot facing Hennepin is now "closed for development".

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » December 7th, 2015, 12:51 pm

The surface lot facing Hennepin is now "closed for development".
Glad to see this is finally moving forward.

sushisimo
Landmark Center

Postby sushisimo » December 30th, 2015, 1:04 pm

Down came 26 mature trees, so this project is moving forward.

trigonalmayhem

Postby trigonalmayhem » December 30th, 2015, 2:52 pm

That's a lot of curb cuts for a supposedly urban downtown development. Is the city ever going to start getting tough on curb cuts? They make the pedestrian realm less safe and add a bunch of points of conflict with cars. Was it impossible to redo the circulation in a way that would require only one set of cuts? I can't imagine it would be too hard to cut some holes into the sides of the existing ramp to make that feasible.

Tiller
Foshay Tower

Postby Tiller » December 30th, 2015, 7:01 pm

As it turns out, we also have curb-cut minimums in the zoning code. Any housing that isn't a SFH must have at least 2 curb cuts per resident.

(not srs)

uncle phil
Metrodome

Postby uncle phil » December 31st, 2015, 11:53 am

Down came 26 mature trees, so this project is moving forward.
Yep, they totally cleared both sections today...

TroyGBiv
US Bank Plaza

Postby TroyGBiv » December 31st, 2015, 1:14 pm

I'm warming up to these buildings... at first I thought that height would be better but I think that this might look better visually as you cross the bridge... not as much of a wall. Still very curious what will actually happen on the Nicollet Hotel site and whether the block across Hennepin will end up with those 20 story black towers...