1016 Marquette / Realestate Recycling Office Building

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
John
Capella Tower

Re: 1016 Marquette / Realestate Recycling Office Building

Postby John » September 12th, 2012, 8:24 pm

I agree with the above statement and no doubt an animated street level is needed at the Artspace site. But the idea of building something unusual and creative would be great for that site. Most of the buildings ( both old and new) along on Washington are fairly decent, but maybe getting a little hum drum. Could use a couple quirky buildings to liven things up a bit . Actually, that's true for other areas downtown when you start thinking about it! lol

tabletop
Nicollet Mall

Postby tabletop » September 15th, 2012, 7:54 am

martykoessel wrote:I'm happy this didn't get built. Sure, the drawing looks kind of cute, especially the red cubes and the green roof. However, that space underneath is parking, and I haven't yet seen a building that can keep that sort of space looking anything but gloomy. We already have two examples in downtown: that energy dealybob just south of Target Center and Century Bank at 1st Ave. N. and Washington Ave.

I would dread seeing a larger version of this on the former ArtSpace lot, where a lively street presence is sorely needed.

I was going to say the same thing, so cheers! If i'm not mistaken the Century Bank was torn down a few years back? A picture or two of that would validate the reasons why and also why it's good this wasn't constructed.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » September 16th, 2012, 8:32 am

martykoessel wrote:I'm happy this didn't get built. Sure, the drawing looks kind of cute, especially the red cubes and the green roof. However, that space underneath is parking, and I haven't yet seen a building that can keep that sort of space looking anything but gloomy. We already have two examples in downtown: that energy dealybob just south of Target Center and Century Bank at 1st Ave. N. and Washington Ave.

I would dread seeing a larger version of this on the former ArtSpace lot, where a lively street presence is sorely needed.
There is an awesome 50's apartment building on La Salle that has parking under it, and aside from the tacky added awnings I love that building. They could do more with their Landscaping to enhance the street presence but I'm guessing making money off parking is more important to them in that neighborhood.

http://goo.gl/maps/aFzR2

Tcmetro
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Tcmetro » September 16th, 2012, 8:36 am

I wasn't too enthusiastic about this idea, also. It reminds me of that office building in Edina on 77th St at Hwy 100.

Return to “Minneapolis - Downtown”