Solhavn - (815 2nd Street North)

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
woofner
Wells Fargo Center

Re: 815 2nd Street Apartments

Postby woofner » August 29th, 2012, 9:01 am

According to the Strib, they bought a "one-acre parcel" (not sure if that's a precise figure). I'm assuming they're shrinking the units quite a bit, then, since Soltva only had 4 two-bedrooms from what I can tell.
"Who rescued whom!"

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » August 29th, 2012, 9:15 am

According to the Strib, they bought a "one-acre parcel" (not sure if that's a precise figure). I'm assuming they're shrinking the units quite a bit, then, since Soltva only had 4 two-bedrooms from what I can tell.
With the views out side the building and the increased distance from Downtown I'd say that the smaller units might make more sense and it would give those that want to live in the area a place to live that is not outside their budget!

woofner
Wells Fargo Center

Postby woofner » September 14th, 2012, 2:38 pm

The staff report pretends that "Locating the vehicle access on the south side of the development leaves an opportunity for a future pedestrian and bicycle connection if the one-story building were ever removed." In reality, people will look down the 8th Ave stub, see a building there, and assume they can't get through. Allowing this development is contradictory to the City's adopted policy to
Better connect the neighborhood to the river through a combination of a pedestrian, bicycle, and automobile connection that extends 8th Avenue North under the viaducts from 5th Street North to and through the north portion of the neighborhood. A public/private partnership should be developed to make this opportunity a reality.
This is the sort of thing that makes it really obvious that the City's planning process is a sham.

Here's a pretty picture for you guys:
new bewding.JPG
"Who rescued whom!"

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » September 14th, 2012, 3:12 pm

This is really disappointing. In all honesty, the city probably should have gotten out ahead of this issue and laid out some more definitive plans for extending 8th Avenue, but if they let this go through as proposed, they're going to have to live with this mistake for the next 50 years.

Looking at the site plan, it wouldn't take much to fix this, because of the way that the alignment of 8th Avenue would have to shift through this block anyway. All it would take would be for the southeastern face of the building to be realigned somewhat, and for the city to purchase an easement through the site.

I'm a bit surprised that the North Loop neighbors aren't up in arms over this. Or maybe they are and I've just missed it?

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » September 15th, 2012, 12:14 pm

I don't currently reside in Minneapolis -- as we moved to Cleveland, OH for family reasons over a year ago -- so I can't drive around and see what these areas are looking like with all of the new development. Does North Loop look like Crane City or something right now? Does the area look completely transformed from even 2 years ago?? Is the neighborhood actually starting to feel like......a neighborhood??? I'd love to see it and will definitely check it out next time I'm in town!

Also, would a 1/2 block or block-sized park somewhere in the middle of this area make any sense? If the neighborhood population were to ever reach say, 10,000 people, I'd wonder if a tiny bit of green space could make a huge positive impact. I know the river trails are nearby but I'm talking more like a small urban park than just green space.

1200onthemall
Nicollet Mall

Postby 1200onthemall » September 16th, 2012, 5:26 am

This is really

I'm a bit surprised that the North Loop neighbors aren't up in arms over this. Or maybe they are and I've just missed it?
I don't think you missed out on anyone being upset because they aren't.....where would traveling on this 8th ave bring you? Should they dedicate part of the new NorthLoop park that is being created along 3rd street and 8th ave to auto traffic? I have friends who are on the NorthLoop board and this street is a nonissue for many reasons, adding more car capacity is not a priority in NorthLoop. Besides the grade of the connection is at two totally different grades, there is perhaps a 4-6 foot drop from 2nd to Washington.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » September 16th, 2012, 8:21 am

Could somebody link the site plan?

Tcmetro
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Tcmetro » September 16th, 2012, 8:41 am

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » September 16th, 2012, 10:55 am

I don't think you missed out on anyone being upset because they aren't.....where would traveling on this 8th ave bring you? Should they dedicate part of the new NorthLoop park that is being created along 3rd street and 8th ave to auto traffic? I have friends who are on the NorthLoop board and this street is a nonissue for many reasons, adding more car capacity is not a priority in NorthLoop. Besides the grade of the connection is at two totally different grades, there is perhaps a 4-6 foot drop from 2nd to Washington.
The connection is more important for pedestrians than for cars, although I think it would help general circulation around the neighborhoods and help break up the superblocks to have a throttled down auto connection as well. This connection is important for getting from big chunks of the North Loop to the river, and has been in multiple neighborhood and city plans over the last several years.

As for the grades, I think the civil engineers can put on their thinking caps and figure out a way to manage a 6' drop over 300'.

woofner
Wells Fargo Center

Postby woofner » September 17th, 2012, 1:15 pm

I don't think you missed out on anyone being upset because they aren't.....where would traveling on this 8th ave bring you?
It would bring you from Washington Ave to the river. Right now there is a 2000' long block in the way. Sure, cars can drive around that easily, but it's a pretty significant detour for pedestrians.

I would also think that the neighborhood would be upset, considering that an 8th Ave connection was recommended in the plan that they finished just two years ago. It seems that the neighborhood group has seen some turnover since then - just more indication that the City's neighborhood-focused planning process is flawed.

Glad to hear about a park at 3rd & 8th Ave though - is that going to be on the Bassett Creek Business Center lot?
"Who rescued whom!"

gahwi003
Metrodome

Postby gahwi003 » November 14th, 2012, 10:47 am

Not too much new information, however it does say that construction should being THIS WEEK!! Looks like another breaking ground in North Loop!

LINK

woofner
Wells Fargo Center

Postby woofner » November 20th, 2012, 11:02 am

A bit less newsworthy perhaps, but there was another groundbreaking here this morning. Not sure I could top Elf's pic from the Nic, but I'll try to get one at lunch break.
"Who rescued whom!"

ztr421
Nicollet Mall

Postby ztr421 » November 26th, 2012, 9:52 am

Here's a view taken from the TractorWorks Building of work getting underway... If there's a corner unit right outside this window, they'll have a nice view of a men's room. :lol:

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » December 30th, 2012, 6:38 pm

Found this one today. Does anyone know if it has a catchy name yet?
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » January 5th, 2013, 7:14 pm

Catchy name? How about "unfortunate obstruction to repairing pedestrian routes"? Or did the UTEC site already claim that?

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » January 7th, 2013, 11:12 am

Catchy name? How about "unfortunate obstruction to repairing pedestrian routes"? Or did the UTEC site already claim that?
Solsucker and Solcrusher respectively... They are both really unfortunate move by the planning commission and developers, agreed, even if it is more infill.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » February 3rd, 2013, 4:42 pm

No name yet?
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

lorwest
Nicollet Mall

Postby lorwest » February 25th, 2013, 11:43 pm

Solsucker and Solcrusher respectively... They are both really unfortunate move by the planning commission and developers, agreed, even if it is more infill.
Close, very close. Looks like it will be Solhavn.

http://www.temillerdevelopment.com/residential.aspx

Nick
Capella Tower

Re: Solhavn - (815 2nd Street North)

Postby Nick » March 16th, 2013, 4:42 pm

The hole over here is super deep. I had to do all sorts of crazy backtracking today when I was in the North Loop...sure wish they'd reconnect streets where possible...

IMG_2929 by UrbanMSP, on Flickr

IMG_2931 by UrbanMSP, on Flickr
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

bapster2006
Foshay Tower

Re: Solhavn - (815 2nd Street North)

Postby bapster2006 » March 27th, 2013, 7:27 pm

Driving by