Solhavn - (815 2nd Street North)

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
Silophant

Re: Solhavn - (815 2nd Street North)

Postby Silophant » March 27th, 2013, 8:52 pm

That last picture confused me for a second, since the angle makes it line up almost perfectly with the building behind it. I could not figure out why they'd put the facade on the upper floors before even putting walls on the first.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

West Coast
Block E

Postby West Coast » May 28th, 2013, 5:57 pm

5-27-2013 Construction Photos

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » June 8th, 2013, 6:35 pm

IMG_3534 by UrbanMSP, on Flickr

IMG_3535 by UrbanMSP, on Flickr

IMG_3536 by UrbanMSP, on Flickr
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

TWA
Nicollet Mall

Postby TWA » June 10th, 2013, 6:46 am

looks like a 6 story shoe box. I know it's hard to judge a building at this point, but I must say there is almost no architectural detail on this at all. Hopefully the skin will look nice.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » July 30th, 2013, 10:54 am

Agreed.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » July 30th, 2013, 11:41 am

Sorry for being the Devil's Advocate, but I kinda like its simplicity and I think it'll fit in quietly with little/no (excessive) fanfare. I almost wish it were monotone to go with its monotone architecture. There are so many examples in this city of nice-looking brick, shoe-box buildings that stand the test of time. Yes, I wish there were some ornate masonry or something along the trim, but I don't hate it as much as you guys (or as much as I should).

5th Ave Guy
Landmark Center

Postby 5th Ave Guy » July 30th, 2013, 12:25 pm

Given what it's across the street from it's great anything is going in here. Having the activity and landscaping alone will be a big positive for the block.

ztr421
Nicollet Mall

Postby ztr421 » August 5th, 2013, 9:13 am

Quite a few of the older buildings on Washington could also be referred to as shoe boxes - this one could be called ornate in comparison. I think it will look fine once it's done.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » August 5th, 2013, 6:05 pm

It's very modern with a Scandinavian influence. Looks like it was plopped down via Helsinki! Doesn't look too bad IMO.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » August 6th, 2013, 6:47 am

I also like this one. Classic colors, a cornice, and craftsman-inspired horizontal banding.

nordeast homer
US Bank Plaza

Postby nordeast homer » August 6th, 2013, 9:39 am

I'm with you Matt, I like the retro look to it.

That'sLife
Block E

Postby That'sLife » August 19th, 2013, 6:18 pm

"Across from a newspaper plant, next to a power sub station, and about 2 blocks from an industrial wasteland! ha!"

This is a hilarious and ill-informed comment. I live at Soltva, that is, next to a power substation and near a "newspaper plant" -- if you want to look at it that way. But if you want to look at it that way, then you'd have to say that River Station folks live across from a newspaper plant, Itasca Lofts residents live next to a power plant, and, in fact, the whole neighborhood lives next to/nearby/in immediate proximity to a newspaper plant, power substation, and industrial wasteland.

But you know what I experience everyday? Living two-three blocks from the river and a stone's throw from St. Anthony Main, both of which I regularly traverse on bike. Beautiful sunsets. Convenience like crazy. I never think, "Gee the building's next to a power substation and a newspaper plant," because neither of those things affect me one bit.

I must also say that if people want to bag on design, they might want to look on over at River Station. It's shapes are bland without really referencing any design period and the accent color is maroon -- the whole development smacks of the 90's (and is in bad shape for being so recent). In contrast, Soltva and Solhavn designs are current. And I don't think they will look outdated in 10 years -- though give design trends enough time and everything appears outdated at one time or another. They are meant to be simple; they are not simple by default, because no one could think of anything better. Their flat planes are purposeful, in that they maximize light and sun. Their flat planes also minimize potential for moisture intrusion (yes, now I'm starting to sound like I'm affiliated with these projects, but I'm not, just extremely allergic), which I'd take any day over elaborate cut-ins or roof shapes that gather water.

I do worry about the increase in traffic; some people take buses, though, and some take advantage of the 394 interchange nearby.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » August 19th, 2013, 10:06 pm

No That'slife, you sound like you did some wish thinking and you decided that the pluses of the area around you outweighed the so called distractions of the area. You are in a location that you enjoy and you are happy to live there. You used intelligent thinking to come to a practical solution!! Good for YOU

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » August 20th, 2013, 8:34 am

I do worry about the increase in traffic; some people take buses, though, and some take advantage of the 394 interchange nearby.
What increase in traffic? The one caused by Solhavn residents leaving the parking garage every 14 minutes?

I'd also say there is a decent difference in the location of these two buildings. I'd bet, living at the Soltva you'd feel much more "in the middle of things" than living here.
Towns!

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » August 20th, 2013, 9:02 am

Hopefully a lot of you guys are walking as well.

Minnekid
Nicollet Mall

Postby Minnekid » August 21st, 2013, 12:28 am

Even though the shoebox idea was addressed, I would like to say a shoebox type development would work the best in the north loop. A skyscraper cannot be built there, at least not yet. All glass looks awkward, like the blueish building by the highway (don't know the name). Brick buildings are not built anymore, so that rules out that. The next closest thing is a basic rectangular building, with warmish colors, it fits right in.

jet777
Nicollet Mall

Postby jet777 » August 21st, 2013, 9:57 am

Even though the shoebox idea was addressed, I would like to say a shoebox type development would work the best in the north loop. A skyscraper cannot be built there, at least not yet. All glass looks awkward, like the blueish building by the highway (don't know the name). Brick buildings are not built anymore, so that rules out that. The next closest thing is a basic rectangular building, with warmish colors, it fits right in.
Hmm. I myself am really neither thrilled nor disgusted with Shoehavn, it's pretty bland. But the references to it being a shoebox I believe have more to do with its very boxy shape and not necessarily with its facade. Not sure why you think all glass looks awkward (that is the Bookmen Stacks by the way), buildings with brick ARE being built (see the work in the last week at Dock Street), and your comment that the "next closest thing" to a brick building being one that is shaped like a box really doesn't make sense. Whatever cladding is used, the criticism here was over using some inset or shape to give the building some visual complexity.

Minnekid
Nicollet Mall

Postby Minnekid » August 21st, 2013, 3:25 pm

Jet my shoebox reference was wrong by my part. Like the boxy shape is alright because it matches the shape with warehouses and industrial converted apartments. The facade was wrongly interwoven into that, but again I do like the design. And I don't know why I don't like the glass there, like I personally like the glass structures, I just feel that one doesn't fit. That's just me though.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » August 21st, 2013, 4:22 pm

I'm helping someone move into this place weekend after next, I'll be sure to get lots of pictures and also get a man on the street interview about what it's like living in a shoebox.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » August 31st, 2013, 11:30 am

So moving some people in here today, and phone posting.

There are some pretty serious construction delays here, they're still drywalling the lobby up to the third floor. My friends apartment is on the 2nd floor, so they've got a temporary unit on the 6th floor.

I wouldn't consider this sixth floor unit move in ready either though. The craftsmanship isn't what I'd expect from a luxury building. There's some really rough drywall work, there's no moulding between the floor and balcony door, they didn't do a very good job painting around the back splash in the kitchen, etc etc.

It's not bad, it's just not what I'd expect from a luxury apartment.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4