The Stone Arch Hotel (903 Washington Ave S)

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
twincitizen

Re: The Stone Arch Hotel (903 Washington Ave S)

Postby twincitizen » November 2nd, 2015, 4:00 pm

I somewhat doubt the City would approve a large scale development on this awkward site without any concept whatsoever of what the adjacent property owner might do with the old rail ROW, or what the city's plans are for the 9th Ave stub ROW.

The hotel plan seems to assume the stub of 9th St remains public ROW, as it relies on it for vehicular access. I don't think it should be assumed that this (https://www.google.com/maps/@44.975574, ... 312!8i6656) remains public ROW indefinitely, when the rest of the parcels on the block could be accessed from other streets (Chicago or 10th). You could conceivably put a building (or a private plaza/park) there. There is zero chance (or need) for 9th Ave to be connected between Washington and 3rd. Also, holy crap you can "drive" around that whole area in Streetview, since Google mistakenly thinks that whole area is "Norm McGrew Pl"

I know that we urbanists often say we prefer smaller parcels being developed individually, over large/full-block developments, but there are cases where land assembly and more comprehensive planning are needed. This is absolutely one of those cases. My feelings of "the triangular building could be cool and create very interesting interplay with whatever is developed on the several pieces of rail ROW" are superseded by my desire for some certainty that this proposal does not harm the development potential of those other parcels.

Property info: https://gis.hennepin.us/property/map/de ... 2924120081

Also, when and how did "Timeshare Properties" buy up the old RR ROW? Was Hennepin County just not interested? I assume they passed on it. Who the heck is "Timeshare Properties" anyways? Have they ever floated any plans for all that property they're holding?

LakeCharles
Foshay Tower

Postby LakeCharles » November 2nd, 2015, 4:11 pm

I attended a seminar to get a free lunch. They gave me a good pitch and I ended up investing. We all got a piece of it. I get three weeks a year on that ROW.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » November 2nd, 2015, 5:15 pm

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » November 2nd, 2015, 6:50 pm

Maybe it's been covered but I don't understand why the one story building is being retained...why wouldn't the city push for that to be a part of this development?
It's historic and recently restored: http://www.journalmpls.com/node/4030

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » November 2nd, 2015, 7:21 pm

Their portfolio is, ehhem, suburban.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » November 2nd, 2015, 7:45 pm

BDH Young is a more suburban leaning architecture firm, yet they still revealed this concept for the 800 Washington Ave RFP

http://www.bdhyoung.com/projects/800-washington-avenue/

Developers have a very big voice in architecture in the Twin Cities still. We've seen what ESG can do when given the chance. Now its this firms time to show what it can really do.. I hope.

Archiapolis
US Bank Plaza

Postby Archiapolis » November 3rd, 2015, 6:07 pm

Maybe it's been covered but I don't understand why the one story building is being retained...why wouldn't the city push for that to be a part of this development?
It's historic and recently restored: http://www.journalmpls.com/node/4030
I get it now. I wasn't understanding where this site was...That's a good building and obviously if it is historic we shouldn't go bulldozing...

TroyGBiv
US Bank Plaza

Postby TroyGBiv » November 3rd, 2015, 9:15 pm

This project makes a lot more sense now that I read that the historic building is also own by these developers. Such a tiny lot - I can't imagine trying to coordinate those two buildings in such a small lot. I think that this is a really exciting project for that stretch on Washington.

contrast
Nicollet Mall

Postby contrast » November 3rd, 2015, 9:47 pm

Their portfolio is, ehhem, suburban.
I ran a search on the firm as well, as I had never heard of them. Concur with your conclusion. Also checked AIA:
https://www.aia-mn.org/firm/reprise-design-inc/
The listed representative projects tend toward interior tenant improvements of suburban commercial/retail centers. Three architects on staff. -maybe this will be their break out project.

trigonalmayhem

Postby trigonalmayhem » November 5th, 2015, 7:55 am

With all the wide streets and car-first mentality, developers can be forgiven for mistaking downtown Minneapolis as suburban.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » July 28th, 2016, 5:29 pm

This is on indefinite hold, aka probably dead, per the articles about Blarney opening in the adjacent Wasabi/Sanctuary building.

I'm guessing many here will not be surprised, as this proposal felt a little half-baked from the get-go.

http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/n ... adium.html

matthew5080
Rice Park

Postby matthew5080 » July 28th, 2016, 11:53 pm

I'm more excited about the pub than I was for the hotel tbh.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » July 29th, 2016, 2:45 am

The hotel was going on the vacant lot. Though 3-4 months past the anticipated timeline, this could still happen Blarney's or not.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

matthew5080
Rice Park

Postby matthew5080 » July 29th, 2016, 10:53 am

I'm still more excited about the pub than the hotel haha