Ironclad Apartments & Moxy Hotel - Washington & Chicago

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Graves Downtown East Development - Washington & Chicago

Postby HiawathaGuy » November 19th, 2015, 4:27 pm

It would also be interesting to know the historical weirdness that created the little 128 sf sliver of a lot that's owned by Timeshare.
Yes, that too! How odd.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » November 19th, 2015, 5:16 pm

It does say podium with parking, not parking podium ;)

I really hope they pull out a nice design, I do rather like the look of the moxy hotel and the airport hotel is him too right? That looks pretty decent.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » November 19th, 2015, 6:23 pm

Yes, Graves airport hotel is on a podium which is what? A parking ramp more or less. But they have at least done a decent job of trying to hide it's view from the people that are speeding by on their way out of the airport.

Blaisdell Greenway
Union Depot

Postby Blaisdell Greenway » November 23rd, 2015, 8:45 am

It would also be interesting to know the historical weirdness that created the little 128 sf sliver of a lot that's owned by Timeshare.
Yes, that too! How odd.
I think it was a rail spur?

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » November 23rd, 2015, 10:09 am

Yeah, part of that parcel was definitely a rail ROW. My assumption is that the ROW needed for the rail line was overlaid atop some pre-existing plat layouts, and that those parcels were the leftover. But it still seems strange to me that they wouldn't have just combined those clearly non-buildable lots at some point over the intervening century.

dingo
Metrodome

Postby dingo » November 24th, 2015, 1:35 pm

I swear it has been posted before, but does anyone know our current vacancy rate of downtown hotels? and/or average hotel room price?

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » April 5th, 2016, 9:00 am

An additional DMNA April Land Use Committee Meeting is set for April 13th, to explore three proposed projects that would change the landscape and complete the housing picture for the historic Mill District neighborhood.

[...]

MOXY HOTEL + APARTMENTS

Twin Towers: Upscale Apartments and a Boutique Hotel

Currently, there is nothing pedestrian-friendly about the intersection of Washington and Chicago, but three strategic and highly visible projects are set to change that. This key location serves as the gateway to the Mill District from Downtown with direct views of the riverfront, Chicago Avenue Mall and the Pillsbury “A” Mill. The proposed Moxy Hotel + Apartments, along with the Thresher Square and 800 Washington (Guthrie liner parcel) projects, will be part of the transformation of this corner.

The Marriott describes their Moxy brand as “a fun and spirited lifestyle hotel” concept. The Graves and Kharbandas have proposed a two tower, 150 room hotel + 150 luxury apartment structure with retail on the corner of Washington Ave. & Chicago Ave. This will be the first look at the developer's proposed design.

205 PARK AVE DEVELOPMENT

Restaurants, Retail and Owner-Occupied Residential for the Mill District’s “Main Street”

When neighbors were surveyed about their ideas for this surface lot on the Mill District’s “Main Street”, more dining and retail scored high. There was a preference for condos as well from the roughly 300 survey respondents polled in December of last year. Located directly across the street from the Mill City Museum, survey respondents voiced concerned about design issues. Respecting the architectural integrity and historical distinctiveness of the Mill District was high on the list of priorities for concepts considered for the last surface parking on 2nd Street South. Survey comments included emphatic interest in maintaining a building height compatible with that of neighboring buildings, often with specific reference to the Park Avenue Lofts, a nod to sightlines of the historically significant Washburn Loft/Mill City Museum building.

205 Park Avenue South is currently a city-owned lot in the Mill District of Downtown Minneapolis and serves as a surface parking lot as well as provides some green space. In 2016, the City of Minneapolis will solicit development proposals for the site. Through a competitive review process, the City will sell the land and development rights to a developer based on the uses and merits of their proposed development. The City will present its development priorities for this site to the neighborhood at the meeting.

LEGACY CONDO DESIGN UPDATE

Stanton’s 11th Condo Project in Minneapolis Takes Shape

The most expansive condo project yet from Jim Stanton would create the East anchor for the Mill District neighborhood. When the Shamrock team first presented the project to the City Planning Commission there were concerns about the overall mass of the project. The revised design includes a mix of exterior materials, varying height levels and open space designs to address those concerns. The proposed project breaks up the building by stepping down the height of the building from 17 stories near South 2nd Street to eight-stories and then back up to 14 stories closest to the Mississippi River. This owner-occupied project has an outdoor children’s play area and a pet exercise area on the list of amenities.

Shamrock Development has proposed a 17-story, 374-unit condo building on the edge of the Mill District on 2nd St. & 12th Ave. Preliminary plans were presented to the DMNA Land Use Committee in February. Shamrock will now present revised designs based on the feedback from the DMNA and Planning Commission’s Committee of the Whole.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » April 5th, 2016, 9:04 am

I'm really enjoying the sound of the Graves development. This corner is about to be drastically different, and I can't wait to see what it's like complete. would we assume like 10 to 15 story twins then?

acs
Wells Fargo Center

Postby acs » April 5th, 2016, 9:17 am

I'm just really hoping the podium isn't too large. Hopefully short enough that it will be blocked by the U of M health center.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » April 13th, 2016, 6:02 pm

Rescheduled to next months meeting.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » April 21st, 2016, 3:30 pm

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » April 21st, 2016, 3:46 pm

Looks pretty good!

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » April 21st, 2016, 4:25 pm

I was hoping we were ready for a destroyer, but at least it's not a caravel.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » April 21st, 2016, 4:27 pm

Yes Please! This looks great. A really cohesive concept for such an awkward lot.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » April 21st, 2016, 4:29 pm

Hey, they're keeping the stone wall! Neat.

Doesn't leave a lot of room for a bike trail on the RR ROW, though.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » April 21st, 2016, 4:31 pm

Nice. I wonder how close this gets to the proposal next to this on the other side of the old rail ROW.

twinkess
Target Field

Postby twinkess » April 21st, 2016, 5:12 pm

Or worse: a trireme!

kiliff75
Nicollet Mall

Postby kiliff75 » April 21st, 2016, 6:40 pm

Or worse: a trireme!
Or a frigate... :roll:

:lol:

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » April 21st, 2016, 7:46 pm

The little 4 story office building is a nice little surprise as well!

acs
Wells Fargo Center

Postby acs » April 21st, 2016, 9:42 pm

Now if only Sherman would get to developing that little corner lot at 3rd and Chicago. Then the whole thing would be completely screened with active uses.