Ironclad Apartments & Moxy Hotel - Washington & Chicago

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
User avatar
Homewood2009
City Center
Posts: 49
Joined: October 11th, 2017, 5:52 am

Re: Ironclad Apartments & Moxy Hotel - Washington & Chicago

Postby Homewood2009 » December 14th, 2017, 9:23 am

I remeber what this view looked like just a few years ago. Nice to see Washington fill in like this.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

alexschief
Nicollet Mall
Posts: 169
Joined: November 12th, 2015, 11:35 am
Location: Philadelphia

Re: Ironclad Apartments & Moxy Hotel - Washington & Chicago

Postby alexschief » June 13th, 2018, 8:14 pm

The scale of this building is remarkable, and it makes Washington feel small, which is incredibly welcome. Chicago Avenue feels even tighter now that's it's pinned between the Ironclad and East End buildings (admittedly the construction barriers also do make the street physically smaller). The way the prow of the stadium peaks out at you and slowly emerges as you walk SW on Chicago is actually a compelling, Kevin Lynch-ian visual drama.

Really looking forward to seeing this project finished. The bar has been raised for the Guthrie liner parcel RFP, hopefully something is proposed that will match Ironclad in height and design ambition, further bringing Washington down to size and creating one of the more interesting intersections in the city.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

rhettcarlson
Metrodome
Posts: 61
Joined: May 19th, 2015, 10:50 pm

Re: Ironclad Apartments & Moxy Hotel - Washington & Chicago

Postby rhettcarlson » June 14th, 2018, 10:39 am

Good description of the development and area. I like the ambition the Kharbanda family went into this with-- maybe it took that outside non-developer mindset to produce something better than a 5-1 here. Like I think it was said on the forum before, all of the Mill District could have been 8-12 stories, but the market was untested at the time. Hopefully this sets the new standard.

User avatar
Lisa I. RoadBot
Block E
Posts: 17
Joined: June 7th, 2018, 9:16 am
Location: Uptown

Re: Ironclad Apartments & Moxy Hotel - Washington & Chicago

Postby Lisa I. RoadBot » June 15th, 2018, 7:37 am

alexschief wrote:
June 13th, 2018, 8:14 pm
The scale of this building is remarkable, and it makes Washington feel small, which is incredibly welcome.
Agreed.

nstudenski
City Center
Posts: 47
Joined: March 9th, 2014, 5:57 pm

Re: Ironclad Apartments & Moxy Hotel - Washington & Chicago

Postby nstudenski » June 17th, 2018, 2:32 pm

Lisa I. RoadBot wrote:
June 15th, 2018, 7:37 am
alexschief wrote:
June 13th, 2018, 8:14 pm
The scale of this building is remarkable, and it makes Washington feel small, which is incredibly welcome.
Agreed.
I share an appreciation for the ~urban feel~ of a street between 12 story buildings. But also, winter days here are short. My last place was just north of the freeway and I really enjoyed a dose of sun as I walked home from the bus in the evening.

My perception from looking at shading diagrams is that the difference between 6 and 12 stories is substantial. This may be an unpopular opinion but I think building height in the mill district does a lot to make it a more comfortable place to walk around in the evening.

Qhaberl
US Bank Plaza
Posts: 623
Joined: February 25th, 2016, 9:51 am

Re: Ironclad Apartments & Moxy Hotel - Washington & Chicago

Postby Qhaberl » June 17th, 2018, 7:41 pm


I share an appreciation for the ~urban feel~ of a street between 12 story buildings. But also, winter days here are short. My last place was just north of the freeway and I really enjoyed a dose of sun as I walked home from the bus in the evening.

My perception from looking at shading diagrams is that the difference between 6 and 12 stories is substantial. This may be an unpopular opinion but I think building height in the mill district does a lot to make it a more comfortable place to walk around in the evening.
Agree with that. I think our short winter days are something to think about when considering how tall a building should be.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

elliotDTown
Block E
Posts: 5
Joined: January 22nd, 2018, 3:42 pm

Re: Ironclad Apartments & Moxy Hotel - Washington & Chicago

Postby elliotDTown » June 17th, 2018, 7:49 pm

Qhaberl wrote:
June 17th, 2018, 7:41 pm
I share an appreciation for the ~urban feel~ of a street between 12 story buildings. But also, winter days here are short. My last place was just north of the freeway and I really enjoyed a dose of sun as I walked home from the bus in the evening.

My perception from looking at shading diagrams is that the difference between 6 and 12 stories is substantial. This may be an unpopular opinion but I think building height in the mill district does a lot to make it a more comfortable place to walk around in the evening.
Agree with that. I think our short winter days are something to think about when considering how tall a building should be.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sadly I find that boring. I don't want to have artificial self imposed limitations.

zlkahn
City Center
Posts: 28
Joined: April 10th, 2013, 12:14 pm
Location: Downtown East

Re: Ironclad Apartments & Moxy Hotel - Washington & Chicago

Postby zlkahn » July 12th, 2018, 9:49 am

Grabbed this photo on the way out this morning. Windows are all in on Moxy (short of the street-level) and going in on the residential building fairly quickly.

Image

NickP
Landmark Center
Posts: 291
Joined: June 4th, 2012, 5:00 pm

Re: Ironclad Apartments & Moxy Hotel - Washington & Chicago

Postby NickP » July 12th, 2018, 1:21 pm

Does anyone else think of transformers when seeing the “Ironclad” name? Lol

grant1simons2
IDS Center
Posts: 4205
Joined: February 8th, 2014, 11:33 pm
Location: Marcy-Holmes

Re: Ironclad Apartments & Moxy Hotel - Washington & Chicago

Postby grant1simons2 » July 12th, 2018, 1:23 pm

It's the name of the old elevator on the site :)

They found it when they were looking at the old plat maps of downtown east

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower
Posts: 3126
Joined: June 1st, 2012, 9:19 am

Re: Ironclad Apartments & Moxy Hotel - Washington & Chicago

Postby min-chi-cbus » July 12th, 2018, 2:14 pm

NickP wrote:
July 12th, 2018, 1:21 pm
Does anyone else think of transformers when seeing the “Ironclad” name? Lol
Totally! Ironclad vs. Optimus Prime!!!

kiliff75
Nicollet Mall
Posts: 168
Joined: February 3rd, 2013, 10:14 pm
Location: Northbound Brewpub - Standish

Re: Ironclad Apartments & Moxy Hotel - Washington & Chicago

Postby kiliff75 » July 12th, 2018, 6:51 pm


Didier
Capella Tower
Posts: 2338
Joined: June 3rd, 2012, 10:11 am
Location: MSP

Re: Ironclad Apartments & Moxy Hotel - Washington & Chicago

Postby Didier » July 12th, 2018, 7:24 pm

Yes, Civ!


Return to “Minneapolis - Downtown”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: MN Fats, twincitizen and 6 guests