1200onthemall
Nicollet Mall

North Loop Park

Postby 1200onthemall » September 17th, 2012, 6:52 pm

MumfordMoses
City Center

Re: Northloop Park

Postby MumfordMoses » September 17th, 2012, 8:48 pm

My God is this a joke? Did you see my thread: "Underpass Park in Toronto: why not Minneapolis"? I had no idea they were actually thinking about this because I usually expect Mpls to take an extra 3-5 years to figure things out : ). I was simply in North Loop over the weekend donating stuff at The Salvation Army and my wife and I decided to walk all the way down to the Interchange construction sight and we couldn't believe how nice a park would look in this area, actually all the way up to the Cedar Lake Trail. This is so exciting, unless your f'ing with me here.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Re: North Loop Park

Postby min-chi-cbus » September 18th, 2012, 7:46 am

Hey.....and I just suggested that North Loop build an urban park of sorts.....whudya know!

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » September 18th, 2012, 11:48 am

Geniuses!

Aville_37
Union Depot

Postby Aville_37 » September 18th, 2012, 10:07 pm

Hooray! About time. Expect the new park will be very kid/family friendly. Perhaps a gazebo for free outdoor concerts?

Exciting time for Minneapolis in terms of new/renovated public spaces - new library north of library, renovated peavey plaza, and hopefully greenspace/a plaza outside the new Viking stadium that will stimulate new development in DTE!

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » September 19th, 2012, 9:43 am

Hooray! About time. Expect the new park will be very kid/family friendly. Perhaps a gazebo for free outdoor concerts?
Sorry, that made me think of this:

Kankakee County was rated last out of 354 metropolitan areas ranked in the United States and Canada by the Places Rated Almanac. Late night television host David Letterman gave the city two identical gazebos, hoping the town could turn itself around as the "Home Of The Twin Gazebos".

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » September 19th, 2012, 11:29 am

Poor Kankakee....what is in Kankakee, IL anyways? And why does IL have so many crappy metros (Peoria, Rockford, Kankakee, etc.)?

Aville_37
Union Depot

Postby Aville_37 » November 13th, 2012, 10:04 am

The North Loop Neighborhood Association's website has a link for an online survey to gather feedback about what's important/desired for the new park being planned:

http://www.northloop.org/North_Loop_Nei ... /Home.html.

reeckman
Metrodome

Postby reeckman » November 13th, 2012, 12:55 pm

I always thought people living the north loop liked the dense urban setting, and have access to the river. Residents near 4th St. and 7th Ave are within 6 blocks of the river, but I suppose they feel cut off and should benefit from a linear park providing their access to the river more directly. I don't really see this as my or the park board's concern, unless it actually could make real sense to expand the river green space or connect Cedar Lake Trail to the river via 8th Ave or something. The coolest thing about the warehouse district is that it is unapologetically urban. I eat my heart out about that. Turning parking lots to grass would be really a big so what. I don't think it's the right direction to reintroduce nature there.

Unless they knock buildings down, anything between Washington and 4th would be a "toy park" for North Loop residents, and for families staying at Mary's Place, who will have access and be welcome there too right??? Those kids actually are more than 6 blocks from any green space, so if this is designed with them in mind that is kind. I would guess though that North Loop residents are thinking other minneapolis and suburban residents will choose to visit their "toy park" too. Unless they do something really unique, the park really can't compete with the other real parks and parkways we already have.

I can't help but think of this toy park that died near there long ago:

http://minneapolisparkhistory.com/2011/ ... -oak-lake/

woofner
Wells Fargo Center

Postby woofner » November 13th, 2012, 1:06 pm

No one expects anyone who grew up in the Midwest to be aware of this, but good urban neighborhoods require good public space. Oak Lake was neither an urban neighborhood nor were its parklets good public space. The reason being that the connections necessary for people to be well informed about local issues (i.e. democracy) and for social checks and balances to function need to happen face-to-face. This neighborhood (north of the cut, and probably always north of the viaduct as well) has one coffee shop and a dog park. The sidewalks are either broken and dreary or narrow strips at the edge of a speedway. This neighborhood needs a place to gather without having to pay for coffee and without having to step over (much) dogshit. It doesn't have to be big, but it does have to be comfortable and at least somewhat beautiful. There is room for this without tearing buildings down.
"Who rescued whom!"

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » November 13th, 2012, 1:20 pm

I've always assumed/hoped that the North Loop Park would occur in the parking lot next to old HGA and would daylight (or at least pretend daylight) some portion of Bassett Creek.

reeckman
Metrodome

Postby reeckman » November 13th, 2012, 2:24 pm

No one expects anyone who grew up in the Midwest to be aware of this, but good urban neighborhoods require good public space. Oak Lake was neither an urban neighborhood nor were its parklets good public space. The reason being that the connections necessary for people to be well informed about local issues (i.e. democracy) and for social checks and balances to function need to happen face-to-face. This neighborhood (north of the cut, and probably always north of the viaduct as well) has one coffee shop and a dog park. The sidewalks are either broken and dreary or narrow strips at the edge of a speedway. This neighborhood needs a place to gather without having to pay for coffee and without having to step over (much) dogshit. It doesn't have to be big, but it does have to be comfortable and at least somewhat beautiful. There is room for this without tearing buildings down.
I am aware, and here's the point: The park on 4th Ave is good public space, but per your response I understand now that people aren't really complaining about that being too far away or too small, but rather e.g. the neighborhood now lacks a public meeting space such as a heated park shelter like other neighborhoods can use to regularly conduct face to face meetings, without borrowing or renting private space. I was unaware the North Loop didn't already have a place to meet. :oops:

Chauncey87
Nicollet Mall

Postby Chauncey87 » February 1st, 2013, 7:22 am

North Loop: Desperately seeking green space

Study suggests four sites for park in booming area

Given that the North Loop is among the most intensely competitive areas for developers chasing sites for new apartments in Minneapolis, does a neighborhood’s desire for a park stand a chance?

Read more: http://finance-commerce.com/2013/01/nor ... z2JeTuxd8s
It is unlocked

I am a bit torn on the idea of spending a rather large sum of cash to help this neighborhood build park. On the one hand having a park almost next door is great if you own a dog or love just a nap in the sun. On the other when you bought your condo you should have looked at how far it is to the nearest park. Did you do some cost/benefit analysis? If so being next door to a park was not even in the top 5 reasons I would guess. So how come now after the last few years of hugh growth in the North Loop does it think a park would help? The area is still humming along with more projects. I thought parks are a last resort? I would use them in sim city to increase the wealth of my sims and place next to the gas power plant and land fill to curb the air pollution. A park is only going to make the apts/condos in the area more wealthy. My issue becomes what is wrong with just having the North Loop be solid middle class? Would the taxes lost on having a park make up for the increased taxes you get from a building being valued higher?

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » February 1st, 2013, 7:38 am

North Loop: Desperately seeking green space

Study suggests four sites for park in booming area

Given that the North Loop is among the most intensely competitive areas for developers chasing sites for new apartments in Minneapolis, does a neighborhood’s desire for a park stand a chance?

Read more: http://finance-commerce.com/2013/01/nor ... z2JeTuxd8s
It is unlocked

I am a bit torn on the idea of spending a rather large sum of cash to help this neighborhood build park. On the one hand having a park almost next door is great if you own a dog or love just a nap in the sun. On the other when you bought your condo you should have looked at how far it is to the nearest park. Did you do some cost/benefit analysis? If so being next door to a park was not even in the top 5 reasons I would guess. So how come now after the last few years of hugh growth in the North Loop does it think a park would help? The area is still humming along with more projects. I thought parks are a last resort? I would use them in sim city to increase the wealth of my sims and place next to the gas power plant and land fill to curb the air pollution. A park is only going to make the apts/condos in the area more wealthy. My issue becomes what is wrong with just having the North Loop be solid middle class? Would the taxes lost on having a park make up for the increased taxes you get from a building being valued higher?
I don't think the park is being built to help the neighborhood develop faster. Consider the park heritage of the city of minneapolis. This was not historically a residential area, and when the industry moved out it became blighted. It is having a residential renaissance, which we should all be happy about. In order to maintain mpls' great tradition of parks in residential areas (within 6 blocks of every child) and help that neighborhood develop into a livable neighborhood (not just solid concrete steel and glass, then I think it's pretty crucial they get a park. We take our park system for granted, just because a new neighborhood comes along doesn't mean it should get neglected (the theory that they should have looked to see how far it was from a park is irrelevant, they knew where they were moving, but now they want to stay there and raise kids and keep the momentum going). They get to be a part of the 'City of Lakes and Parks' too. They took the brave step and moved into the neighborhood before the city cared to improve it.

There is a strip of parking that is all daylight south of the viaduct, that would be a perfect spot for a greenway IMO :)

ECtransplant
US Bank Plaza

Postby ECtransplant » February 1st, 2013, 10:41 pm

Wouldn't simply better connecting the area to the riverfront provide park space without using up develop able land?

woofner
Wells Fargo Center

Postby woofner » February 26th, 2013, 11:46 am

In case anyone needs more evidence of how thunderous stupid our state legislators are, look into an amendment to the bill allowing the MPRB to collect a development fee to fund constructions of parks such as the one being considered in the North Loop. Peggy Scott, distinguished moron from Andover, successfully moved to amend the House version of the bill to stipulate that "Park land acquired or developed with fees paid under this section must not be within 1500 feet of the residence of a person designated as a risk level III predatory offender under Minnesota Statutes, section 244.052, subdivision 3." In other words, you can't build a park, which will be there forever (or until MnDot needs to route a freeway), in a place where a member of a highly transient population group is currently living. Further, because this population group tends to have difficulty finding housing, they often end up in gritty neighborhoods of the sort that most need new parks. In other words, this amendment basically prevents parks from being built in Near North, Phillips, and East Downtown. The part of the North Loop where a park is being considered is probably far enough away from the Homeless District (there are literally dozens of sex offenders that register their address at Harbor Lights) that it won't be affected, although there is certainly housing in the area that could potentially accommodate sex offenders.

I don't think the Senate companion bill has comparable language, so hopefully they'll realize their mistake in conference and excise this idiotic provision. I wouldn't count on it though.
"Who rescued whom!"

at40man
Rice Park

Downtown Mpls needs a REAL park!

Postby at40man » August 26th, 2013, 9:06 am

When I worked in downtown Minneapolis a few years ago, one of the amenities that always seemed missing was a nice city park within walking distance. (The river is too far away for a lunch break). I love Peavey Plaza, but it isn't necessarily close to everyone, and is geared a bit differently than a city park.

I always thought the surface parking lot across from the library would be an ideal place for a park with benches, grass, trees, etc. A place for office workers to decrompress, a nice outdoor space for people to read their library materials, and a bit of greenery in an otherwise barren part of the city.

Minnekid
Nicollet Mall

Re: Downtown Mpls needs a REAL park!

Postby Minnekid » August 26th, 2013, 9:19 am

Well downtown does have a real city park, Loring Park is a real city park serving a large number of residents that live in that area. But still I completely agree, they need another one serving workers and the people in newly built apartments by the library.

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » August 26th, 2013, 9:22 am

Plans for a park by the library already exist:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1005

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » August 26th, 2013, 9:26 am

Along with the Star Tribune blocks plan...