City of Minneapolis Office Building - 501 4th Ave S - 11 stories / 171'

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Re: City of Minneapolis Offices Consolidation

Postby SurlyLHT » August 8th, 2017, 2:55 pm

I'm not talking about building their own building, just being a tenant in a private building which would be less government not more. They could use their needs to vacate their own properties and sell the land for tax-generating uses and become a tenant in a private development that may include other tenants and uses. The idea is to leverage their demands to generate more economic activity rather than merely building their own building.

VacantLuxuries
Foshay Tower

Postby VacantLuxuries » August 8th, 2017, 3:19 pm

I don't want the taxpayers at the mercy of a private building owner, who almost certainly would take advantage of how much of a bureaucratic nightmare it would be to relocate a second time.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » August 28th, 2017, 8:18 pm

7–10 story “tower” that will last the test of time.

http://finance-commerce.com/2017/08/mor ... -building/

Silophant

Postby Silophant » August 28th, 2017, 8:40 pm

So, the plan to move the fire station into this building as well was scrapped? Too bad, it seems like the existing fire station is an impediment to redevelopment of that block of Washington.

Also, lol at a block-long 10-story building being referred to as a tower.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » August 29th, 2017, 12:11 am

So, the plan to move the fire station into this building as well was scrapped? Too bad, it seems like the existing fire station is an impediment to redevelopment of that block of Washington.

They call anything over 6 floors a tower in articles like these.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » August 29th, 2017, 1:04 am

How about divide up the parcel. 20 story city offices, paired to a work force housing tower on the remaining portion? Put the city-owned land where their professed values are. Housing right next to an LRT station even.

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » August 29th, 2017, 7:05 am

I still say keep the ramp and integrate the city offices into another building since the result here will most likely be underwhelming . Maybe the stalled United/Gateway project?

VacantLuxuries
Foshay Tower

Postby VacantLuxuries » August 29th, 2017, 7:39 am

So do you guys purposefully forget that construction costs rise exponentially as a building gets taller, or is that news here?

I want to see denser and higher quality development as much as the next person, but I also don't want to see the city blow tons of money just to build taller.
I still say keep the ramp and integrate the city offices into another building since the result here will most likely be underwhelming . Maybe the stalled United/Gateway project?
And I still say putting city government at the mercy of private building owners is a recipe for disaster.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » August 29th, 2017, 8:01 am

So do you guys purposefully forget that construction costs rise exponentially as a building gets taller, or is that news here?
Not at all. I'm content with the city building being 7-10 stories. I was honestly expecting five or six, so I'm just happy that it'll be tall enough to completely block the parking ramp. I was just pedantically pointing out that 'tower' means, or at least should mean, a structure taller than it is wide, so the city building won't be one unless they go with 30' ceilings.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

VacantLuxuries
Foshay Tower

Re: New City of Minneapolis Office Building

Postby VacantLuxuries » August 29th, 2017, 8:10 am

Sorry about that, then. In that case, I agree.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » August 29th, 2017, 8:13 am

I would also like to know the answer to this part. If you look back to the beginning of this thread, Fire Station #1 was to be sold off as well, which would help with the private redevelopment of that block. It wasn't 100% clear if the Fire Station facility itself was intended to be incorporated into this office building, but early documentation at least mentioned that the current one would be sold.

Despite being in the heart of downtown, it's a very small station. Can a full-size fire rig even fit under those service doors? Is there less of a need for a full fire station due to the proximity of HCMC and other emergency services downtown? (i.e. don't need to take fire rigs out on every call, etc.) Is Fire Station #1 more office/storage space that a typical station? Is there another facility nearby that actual fire rigs would dispatch from?

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » September 7th, 2017, 8:34 pm

Fire Station #1 covers a lot of downtown, including tall buildings, so needs large trucks. Putting the station at this site would require dedicating the street level and skyway level to the fire station, which would interfere with general plans the city has for their new office building. It's also not a great location for fire vehicles to have access to their service area, with the current #1 spot being better for that.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » October 5th, 2017, 3:38 pm

It's happening! A bid to demo the ramp at 501 4th St S!

http://www.minneapolismn.gov/www/groups ... 205377.pdf

colink
City Center

Postby colink » October 6th, 2017, 8:56 am

This makes me sad. For some reason I really like that parking ramp. Maybe even love it a little bit.

bubzki2
Foshay Tower

Postby bubzki2 » October 6th, 2017, 9:40 am

As far as parking ramps go, it's a really interesting one. But, that's a very low bar and boxing in the gov't center plaza and light rail stop should give the whole area a better vibe.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » October 6th, 2017, 9:51 am

I do not understand any love for a stand alone parking ramp. Arguably, they're worse than surface parking lots in that they are harder to redevelop.

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » October 6th, 2017, 10:06 am

It's happening! A bid to demo the ramp at 501 4th St S!

http://www.minneapolismn.gov/www/groups ... 205377.pdf
Correction: 501 4th Avenue South. I was super confused until others started talking about it being the ramp that is next to the plaza. I enjoy the way this is wrapped. It was unique. IF there has to be a ramp, at least make it look like art. I think the ABC ramps, and other ramps could do better.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » October 6th, 2017, 10:09 am

I do not understand any love for a stand alone parking ramp. Arguably, they're worse than surface parking lots in that they are harder to redevelop.
It's great when the whole world can be sorted into binary piles. It shows that an ideology is pure and strong.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » October 6th, 2017, 10:56 am

Yes, your love of underused structures is truly nuanced...

tab
Metrodome

Postby tab » October 6th, 2017, 11:27 am

Colink, I'm curious, what is it that you like about the parking ramp?