U.S. Bank Stadium

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
mplsjaromir
Wells Fargo Center

Re: U.S. Bank Stadium

Postby mplsjaromir » February 6th, 2018, 11:46 am

Lucas Oil in Indy is also a northern site that will not see a Superbowl again for a long time.

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » February 6th, 2018, 11:50 am

I hope we can get more uses out of the stadium. My favorite idea has been a February State Fair like event. The thing is we have so many stadiums, and spaces to host conventions it's hard to make the venues we have worth their money. Hopefully in the next 30 years we can take some of them offline and revert them back to taxpaying real estate.

Mikey
Landmark Center

Postby Mikey » February 6th, 2018, 11:53 am

Lucas Oil in Indy is also a northern site that will not see a Superbowl again for a long time.
Forgot about Indy. I'm sure there's a joke there
Urbanist in the north woods

Bob Stinson's Ghost
Landmark Center

Postby Bob Stinson's Ghost » February 6th, 2018, 11:54 am

I hope we can get more uses out of the stadium. My favorite idea has been a February State Fair like event. The thing is we have so many stadiums, and spaces to host conventions it's hard to make the venues we have worth their money. Hopefully in the next 30 years we can take some of them offline and revert them back to taxpaying real estate.
I couldn't agree more. That huge building sits idle 90% of the time. They don't even have monster truck races there like they did at the metrodome.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » February 6th, 2018, 12:00 pm

Sure they do. Monster Jam was there in December, and is coming back in April.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

Mikey
Landmark Center

Postby Mikey » February 6th, 2018, 12:03 pm

Do they still sell you the whole seat? Is there an edge-only option?
Urbanist in the north woods

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » February 6th, 2018, 12:40 pm

Do they still sell you the whole seat? Is there an edge-only option?
Too bad Eagles fans took this literally and took their seats from the Super Bowl home.

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » February 6th, 2018, 12:42 pm

Speaking of events at the stadium. There's going to be a bunch of Gopher Baseball games starting this month. I might go to one. The tickets are super cheap. I guess it is getting some use.

Bob Stinson's Ghost
Landmark Center

Postby Bob Stinson's Ghost » February 6th, 2018, 12:58 pm

Sure they do. Monster Jam was there in December, and is coming back in April.
How did I miss that? My bad.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » February 6th, 2018, 1:24 pm

in theory they should bring the game north once a decade?
What theory? The Super Bowl was pretty explicitly a quid-pro-quo for building the stadium. With that obligation fulfilled, why do they need to go north at all?

Maybe at some point down the line they will want public money for a renovation and again dangle the big game as a carrot, but absent that they have no reason to put is in the rotation. And we shouldn't be looking to spend money to get into it either.

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » February 6th, 2018, 1:30 pm

in theory they should bring the game north once a decade?
What theory? The Super Bowl was pretty explicitly a quid-pro-quo for building the stadium. With that obligation fulfilled, why do they need to go north at all?

Maybe at some point down the line they will want public money for a renovation and again dangle the big game as a carrot, but absent that they have no reason to put is in the rotation. And we shouldn't be looking to spend money to get into it either.
I agree, especially if the NFL's position weakens over time.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » February 6th, 2018, 1:49 pm

Yes, I've a feeling that ten years from now the Super Bowl may not be as big of a deal. Certainly within 20. Youth football participation has dropped off and likely will continue to do so. Teams are already struggling mightily at the QB position and are beginning to do so at the other "skill" positions.

It's not unlike the pitching crisis that MLB faced 20 years ago. MLB's solution was basically to accept poorer quality, promote offense as the exciting part of the game (complete with steroids!) and allow a few teams to become dominant with a bunch of mediocre teams behind them. Free agency has allowed that dominance to shift around a bit so that occasionally a smaller-market team pops up but by and large the biggest cities have pretty consistently had the best teams. It's worked remarkably well from an MLB revenue standpoint, but is it sustainable? I look at what's going on in Miami and I wonder.

I could see football coming to the same place, except it's hard to promote defense as the exciting part of the game, especially given everything they've done to open up offenses.

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » February 6th, 2018, 1:58 pm

Don't forget that the Raiders are moving to Vegas! That will be a frequently used site for the Super Bowl.

There is also the new combo stadium for LA Rams and Chargers. That will likely be used a lot too.

acs
Wells Fargo Center

Postby acs » February 6th, 2018, 2:54 pm

People are forgetting that MSP was a contender for hosting the college football national championship the last time around it was bid. Ultimately we lost to a few no brainer sites like Atlanta and Phoenix but I would expect us to make a bid the next time it comes up in 2025.

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » February 6th, 2018, 3:20 pm

Too bad we're not using it for soccer to keep the place full. I know it isn't a "real" soccer stadium. But, soccer is super popular among today's youth. On Super Bowl Sunday at church the teens were talking about overseas soccer.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » February 6th, 2018, 3:35 pm

Nobody wants to play soccer on turf.

fehler
Rice Park

Postby fehler » February 6th, 2018, 4:17 pm

I could see the NFL pulling some special strings and awarding the 2057 Superbowl to Green Bay in honor of Lambeau Field's 100 anniversary, just to mix things up a little.

Bob Stinson's Ghost
Landmark Center

Postby Bob Stinson's Ghost » February 6th, 2018, 4:33 pm

Other than monster truck races and college baseball, what else can you do with a stadium built to NFL specifications?

5th Ave Guy
Landmark Center

Postby 5th Ave Guy » February 6th, 2018, 5:02 pm

Other than monster truck races and college baseball, what else can you do with a stadium built to NFL specifications?
Well in addition to what you just mentioned, concerts, soccer, basketball, probably hockey, etc. The possibilities seem pretty endless, right?

BigIdeasGuy
Union Depot

Postby BigIdeasGuy » February 6th, 2018, 6:01 pm

At this point we have the public has already put the money into the stadium so we might as well try to get as many big events into it as possible. The Final Four is coming which is great and hopefully we can bring in the College Football Playoff National Championship, Wrestlemania, a World Cup match or two in 2026 and any other large event that moves around. It's good exposure for the city and state and while it doesn't nearly have the economic impact that boosters say it will it brought a little extra money to the local economy.

Darren Rovell is a turd I'm pretty sure he's right about Minnesota not getting another Super Bowl anytime soon, MSP just doesn't have the right international profile for the game, which is fine I'm okay with us not being a northern Miami or Vegas. Realistically there is about 5 or 6 cities that are going to be in the regular rotation for Super Bowls going forward and we aren't the list.