U.S. Bank Stadium

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
grant1simons2
IDS Center

Re: Minnesota Multi Purpose Stadium

Postby grant1simons2 » August 22nd, 2014, 3:05 pm

Oh my god I just noticed this! It's a viking ship set sailing towards Downtown!

mplsjaromir
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mplsjaromir » August 22nd, 2014, 3:07 pm

Guys who make lots of money are so good. I do find it weird how huge proponents of the region live in New York...

Minneboy
US Bank Plaza

Postby Minneboy » August 22nd, 2014, 4:43 pm

Oh my god I just noticed this! It's a viking ship set sailing towards Downtown!
I get that people think so and I did as well in a rather abstract way but it really doesn't. https://www.google.com/search?q=viking+ ... 98&bih=771

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » August 22nd, 2014, 5:42 pm

I know it doesn't look like one..

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » August 22nd, 2014, 11:48 pm

The scale of the building and the construction equipment is absolutely incredible.
For sure! Mrs.shoes and I drove past this evening on our way up north. It's mind-boggling how huge it is. DTE is going to need some additional big, tall buildings to help balance it out. The WF ones are a start, but MOAR PLZ.
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

topher hoefer
Block E

Postby topher hoefer » August 26th, 2014, 12:05 pm

http://www.startribune.com/blogs/272734301.html

Here comes the pedestrian bridge!

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » August 26th, 2014, 4:33 pm

the interchange jr.

mplsjaromir
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mplsjaromir » August 26th, 2014, 4:54 pm

the interchange jr.
Haha, great.

nfschauer
Nicollet Mall

Postby nfschauer » August 27th, 2014, 8:34 am

Hopefully this Audobon thing can finally go to rest. Just yesterday I heard Pat Kessler of WCCO say that the IDS Tower has an even larger (and taller) facade of glass that's just as reflective as the new stadium glass, then he said something like, "you don't see hundreds of dead birds lying around the IDS." The 76,000 signatures don't mean a thing, and Dayton said he's not going to get involved, so I think they should give up and accept the fact that the glass will not be changing. If they really want to prevent birds from flying into windows, they should spend more time trying to put a large cloth sheet over the IDS during the migrating months..... :lol:

Venting over, but I try to look at news surrounding the new stadium and whenever I look it's always about the Audobon trying to destroy the pristine glass that will be installed, it's getting old!!

IllogicalJake
Target Field

Postby IllogicalJake » August 27th, 2014, 8:38 am

Just yesterday I heard Pat Kessler of WCCO say that the IDS Tower has an even larger (and taller) facade of glass that's just as reflective as the new stadium glass, then he said something like, "you don't see hundreds of dead birds lying around the IDS."
God I love how everyone tries to become an expert rather than listening to experts.
i talk too much. web dev, downtown. admin @ tower.ly

TommyT
Target Field

Postby TommyT » August 27th, 2014, 8:38 am

Hopefully this Audobon thing can finally go to rest. Just yesterday I heard Pat Kessler of WCCO say that the IDS Tower has an even larger (and taller) facade of glass that's just as reflective as the new stadium glass, then he said something like, "you don't see hundreds of dead birds lying around the IDS." The 76,000 signatures don't mean a thing, and Dayton said he's not going to get involved, so I think they should give up and accept the fact that the glass will not be changing. If they really want to prevent birds from flying into windows, they should spend more time trying to put a large cloth sheet over the IDS during the migrating months..... :lol:

Venting over, but I try to look at news surrounding the new stadium and whenever I look it's always about the Audobon trying to destroy the pristine glass that will be installed, it's getting old!!
Isn't the problem that the glass is not reflective and is too see through? I read an article yesterday and I swear it said something like that.

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » August 27th, 2014, 8:46 am

Isn't the problem that the glass is not reflective and is too see through? I read an article yesterday and I swear it said something like that.
Yes, that's precisely the main issue. All the other tall buildings downtown have glass that is reflective or tinted.

Here here IllogicalJake...
God I love how everyone tries to become an expert rather than listening to experts.

nfschauer
Nicollet Mall

Postby nfschauer » August 27th, 2014, 9:16 am

It doesn't matter whether it's reflective, see through, tinted or what have you, I guess the point I was trying to make is that there have been multiple groups or individuals attempting to alter, slow down, or raise another issue surrounding the new Stadium. The Vikings have full control now, they wouldn't spend additional money to change features of the stadium when they just spent $46 million to NOT change features and preserve the initial plans. These organizations are better off not wasting their time and accepting the fact that it is pretty much set in stone. The only news we should be hearing regarding the stadium is construction progress, or future events being held there, not another group trying to change the design while it's already taking shape and ahead of schedule...

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » August 27th, 2014, 9:20 am

Pretty sure the Audubon Society has the right to keep calling for a change, when its whole purpose is in fact protecting birds.

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » August 27th, 2014, 9:23 am

It doesn't matter whether it's reflective, see through, tinted or what have you, I guess the point I was trying to make is that there have been multiple groups or individuals attempting to alter, slow down, or raise another issue surrounding the new Stadium. The Vikings have full control now, they wouldn't spend additional money to change features of the stadium when they just spent $46 million to NOT change features and preserve the initial plans. These organizations are better off not wasting their time and accepting the fact that it is pretty much set in stone. The only news we should be hearing regarding the stadium is construction progress, or future events being held there, not another group trying to change the design while it's already taking shape and ahead of schedule...
Actually, when this is the People's Stadium, with half a billion dollars in public money going into building it... you'd better believe we all have a vested interest in making sure it's the best damn facility for everyone - not just the Wilfs. I love that we're getting a new shiny stadium. But I also believe in democracy and people standing up for what they believe is right. It's okay if you don't believe in that, but just as you have that right - so do those who are fighting their causes.

IllogicalJake
Target Field

Postby IllogicalJake » August 27th, 2014, 9:31 am

not another group trying to change the design while it's already taking shape and ahead of schedule...
Are you trying to make the Audobon Society sound like a nuisance, or have there actually been multiple groups trying to change the stadium?

I hardly call a simple, subtle protective layer that isn't even visible unless you're right up against the glass a "design change," really. For a state that embraces nature and the outdoors so much, I'm a little baffled that we're fighting back this much against birds.

If we can take a really simple, straight-forward step to save birds from mass-dying on a primary migratory route, why is there so much damn resistance? I really don't understand it.
i talk too much. web dev, downtown. admin @ tower.ly

nfschauer
Nicollet Mall

Postby nfschauer » August 27th, 2014, 9:50 am

They also stated that they don't want to obstruct views for fans, and with the fritted glass, you may as well just put up walls....
I just don't see them changing the glass. I respect the Audobon for their opinions and their right to free speech, but I don't believe anything will change, and that was my point. However, if people believe there will be a change with the glass, I completely understand why they support the Audobon, and I respect that.

http://www.startribune.com/lifestyle/ho ... ngnut.html

go4guy
Foshay Tower

Postby go4guy » August 27th, 2014, 9:59 am

From that same interview with Pat Kessler, he did state the they had many requests, and many of them were met. These are mainly around lighting schemes and turning off certain lights during migration season, just like the downtown skyscrapers do.

One question I do have, as I am not a bird migration expert. Would the stadium be that big of an issue as the birds would have to fly up and over downtown and then quickly back down in order to worry about flying into the stadium? And also, doesnt the big glass wall face west? Would that wall really impact migration patterns?

nfschauer
Nicollet Mall

Postby nfschauer » August 27th, 2014, 10:08 am

From that same interview with Pat Kessler, he did state the they had many requests, and many of them were met. These are mainly around lighting schemes and turning off certain lights during migration season, just like the downtown skyscrapers do.

One question I do have, as I am not a bird migration expert. Would the stadium be that big of an issue as the birds would have to fly up and over downtown and then quickly back down in order to worry about flying into the stadium? And also, doesnt the big glass wall face west? Would that wall really impact migration patterns?
Yes, you are correct. They would fly into the glass skysrapers before making it to the stadium if that was their route.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » August 27th, 2014, 10:09 am

These organizations are better off not wasting their time and accepting the fact that it is pretty much set in stone.
Who are you to tell people what do to? FYI, I've worked on campaigns to change things "set in stone" and we got what we wanted. It's always a negotiation until the last hard-hat leaves the construction site.