U.S. Bank Stadium

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
mplsjaromir
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Minnesota Multi Purpose Stadium

Postby mplsjaromir » September 16th, 2014, 2:44 pm

Apologizes
Last edited by mplsjaromir on September 16th, 2014, 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » September 16th, 2014, 2:55 pm

That's a year old.
Towns!

Tom H.
US Bank Plaza

Postby Tom H. » September 25th, 2014, 8:41 am

The support structure on the west side of the stadium appears to be in place for the first steel cross-beams to go in (connecting the "prow" to the cantilevered portion behind it). Not sure when that will be installed, but the animations show it going up in two pieces.

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » September 26th, 2014, 8:44 am

this project is so obviously polarizing. but from a pure design aesthetic i'd be curious poeple's opinions.

some think it a hulking monstrosity. some like it's modernist lines and skyline profile. it reminds me of the guthrie theater debate. i know people who dismiss the buildng as nothing more than big blue ikea. some like it's homage to the river's history, milling architecture.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » September 26th, 2014, 8:50 am

I don't think it will be nearly as hulking from a human standpoint. the majority of renderings that we see are aerial and we are constantly seeing the whole building. When on the ground around it, yes, it's going to be a large building, but I think they've placed glass and human scaled elements around the majority of the base. Not a perfect building, but suits its use and isn't in the least a detriment to everyday visual impact. I also like the modern, simple style, use of materials, and geometric aspects, it really gives us something no one else has and pays homage to Scandinavian design concepts. I'd say it might be the most thoughtful NFL stadium in regards to culture and location. Definitely the arty-ist (technical term).

Gman12
Nicollet Mall

Postby Gman12 » September 26th, 2014, 9:48 am

this project is so obviously polarizing. but from a pure design aesthetic i'd be curious poeple's opinions.

some think it a hulking monstrosity. some like it's modernist lines and skyline profile. it reminds me of the guthrie theater debate. i know people who dismiss the buildng as nothing more than big blue ikea. some like it's homage to the river's history, milling architecture.
I don't hate modern architecture by any means. I actually like the Guthrie, and the Library, LPM, some of the stuff that has gone up in the North Loop....but this stadium aesthetically is HIDEOUS. Did they get confused and think they were making a Soviet bunker???

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » September 26th, 2014, 10:26 am

The stadium looks like the oversized stepchild of the Walker addition... and that's not a flattery.

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » September 26th, 2014, 11:00 am

I think we are getting the best looking stadium in the NFL, hands down. I also like the Walker, but I can definitely see why people don't.

mplsjaromir
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mplsjaromir » September 26th, 2014, 11:13 am

I think we are getting the best looking stadium in the NFL, hands down.
Faint praise

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » September 26th, 2014, 11:16 am

How do you even dislike the the Walker extension? It was recognized nation wide and in Europe for being another great piece by Herzog & de Meuron. I might be bias because European Modern/Contemporary is one of my favorite forms of architecture.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » September 26th, 2014, 11:17 am

Overall I think the shape is nice. I hated it at first but it's grown on me. I'm not sure I agree with Nathan on the human-scale elements. At one time there was at least one huge wall of nothingness on the outside. They added some windows I guess but for me the jury's still out on how this meets the streets.

Certainly increased development of downtown east will make the building less imposing. Over time I think the stadium will fit in decently enough.

I also like the Walker addition, much more than the original replacement building, FWIW.

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » September 26th, 2014, 11:22 am

I've come around quite a bit on the design. I still think it's a little too spastic but I'm now pretty positive about the look.
Towns!

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » September 26th, 2014, 11:24 am

Mixed feelings. The huge scale of the stadium will make it difficult to relate or work well with the surrounding area. But I liked the architect's attempt to interpret and connect the design to Minnesota's culture, architecture, and climate at The Guthrie presentation. Not sure that connection will be clear when it's built . I do like the dramatic angles and geometry which will be fun to look at from the outside. The interior works the best and is an enormous improvement over the Metrodome. Glad they didn't build it in the suburbs which was a close call.

holmstar
Nicollet Mall

Postby holmstar » September 29th, 2014, 7:08 am

The next piece of the steel truss appears to be going up today. They're currently rigging it to the crane.

nfschauer
Nicollet Mall

Postby nfschauer » September 29th, 2014, 8:09 am

The next piece of the steel truss appears to be going up today. They're currently rigging it to the crane.
Yup! Weatehr pending, lets hope it doesn't rain!! This is the first of the master truss, will be fun to see how it looks!

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » September 29th, 2014, 11:43 am

That big piece is going up now

nfschauer
Nicollet Mall

Postby nfschauer » September 29th, 2014, 11:59 am

That big piece is going up now
It looks like one gust of wind could blow it down!! :shock:

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » September 29th, 2014, 12:42 pm

It's a 500,000 lbs piece. And it's just sitting there being bolted in by 2 guys on top of another large piece. This building better be featured on ultimate engineering one day

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » September 29th, 2014, 1:02 pm

Have not seen anything in ENR about our stadium yet. I did see something about the new stadium for Atlanta and their movable top.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » September 29th, 2014, 1:04 pm

This a pretty b*d*ss building structurally.