U.S. Bank Stadium

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Re: Minnesota Multi Purpose Stadium

Postby Wedgeguy » November 29th, 2014, 2:50 pm

They've been working every weekend it seems...
I'm sure they have to keep from possibly falling behind schedule. Better to be ahead of schedule incase there are issues later that slows their schedules down. There might be a bonus if it is completed ahead of schedule.

Pip

Postby Pip » December 1st, 2014, 2:53 pm

This may have been discussed before but that piece of land sandwiched between 5th, 6th, and Chicago seems like a good piece of land to develop into something (small). It's obviously quite small but it seems like someone could think of an unique idea for it. I'm not sure if they're going to replace the current Metrodome sign with one for the new stadium. It's really not a great location for a sign. Any building on that site would have very limited or no parking unless they went underground and given the limited space I'm not sure that's very feasible. At worst, it seems like Hubert's could use it for outdoor seating. At best, I'd hope they could shoehorn some retail space in there. Maybe a sports bar or a sports store... or maybe something all together different. It just seems weird to see this decaying concrete island.

HuskyGrad
Union Depot

Postby HuskyGrad » December 1st, 2014, 3:11 pm

This may have been discussed before but that piece of land sandwiched between 5th, 6th, and Chicago seems like a good piece of land to develop into something (small). It's obviously quite small but it seems like someone could think of an unique idea for it. I'm not sure if they're going to replace the current Metrodome sign with one for the new stadium. It's really not a great location for a sign. Any building on that site would have very limited or no parking unless they went underground and given the limited space I'm not sure that's very feasible. At worst, it seems like Hubert's could use it for outdoor seating. At best, I'd hope they could shoehorn some retail space in there. Maybe a sports bar or a sports store... or maybe something all together different. It just seems weird to see this decaying concrete island.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't 5th street being removed eventually along the stadium, once the new ramp from 94 to 7th street is constructed?

moda253
Nicollet Mall

Postby moda253 » December 1st, 2014, 3:19 pm

Are you talking about the triangle that the sign is on?

HuskyGrad
Union Depot

Postby HuskyGrad » December 1st, 2014, 3:22 pm

Answered my own question.
http://purplejesusdiaries.com/2013-arti ... adium.html

5th street will be vacated.

Pip

Postby Pip » December 1st, 2014, 3:53 pm

Yes

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » December 1st, 2014, 3:58 pm

I realize it is out of scope for that CPED document, but I hope the Commons plan is *at least* eliminating the single westbound lane north of the LRT from Park to where it ends at 5th (which would have zero benefit once the 94 ramp changes and the blocks north become a park).

Better yet would be fully eliminating vehicular traffic west to Government Center. Or at least to 5th Ave if the Gov Center ramp access on 5th can't be reworked. Yes, the docks for the Armory access via 5th, but some sort of shared space alignment would work well for the very very infrequent access needs for those docks (sort of like how I'll drive on the 7th Place pedestrian mall in St. Paul to load in for a gig at Wild Tymes).

Edit: No idea why they are proposing a double left turn lane from westbound 5th to southbound 11th Ave on the east side of the stadium. Since 5th will be disconnected from I-94 ramps. Nutsmuch?

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » December 1st, 2014, 4:47 pm

Those documents are, what, over a year and a half old? A fair amount has changed in that time, including the official confirmation that the ramp from 5th Street will be closed. I haven't seen any updates that supersede this, but I'd have to assume that they're working on them.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » December 1st, 2014, 8:52 pm

Those fancy schmancy architectural blueprint thingies make me brain hurt.

martykoessel
Landmark Center

Postby martykoessel » December 1st, 2014, 8:59 pm

Those documents are, what, over a year and a half old? A fair amount has changed in that time, including the official confirmation that the ramp from 5th Street will be closed. I haven't seen any updates that supersede this, but I'd have to assume that they're working on them.
Slated for 2015:
http://www.minneapolismn.gov/cip/all/WCMS1P-121854

HuskyGrad
Union Depot

Postby HuskyGrad » December 2nd, 2014, 10:05 am

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » December 2nd, 2014, 10:55 am

Yep, I get that. My point was just that there are a lot of changes moving forward simultaneously in this area, and we shouldn't be surprised if one plan hasn't yet fully digested the impacts of another plan.

moda253
Nicollet Mall

Postby moda253 » December 2nd, 2014, 11:33 am

Yes
Well there is a sidewalk on the west edge, and with easements and safety from traffic I suppose you could maybe put a walk up dairy queen there.

martykoessel
Landmark Center

Postby martykoessel » December 2nd, 2014, 4:36 pm

Yep, I get that. My point was just that there are a lot of changes moving forward simultaneously in this area, and we shouldn't be surprised if one plan hasn't yet fully digested the impacts of another plan.
This is all still from last April, but if you really want to dig in, the City describes the 7th street entrance ramp as bridge project BR130. There's a correlary plan, B130G, that offers 2 different layout options for controlling the combined traffic flows of Hwy. 55 and I94 onto 7th Street. Of course, as you said, something could happen to change all this, but the plans appear to be pretty far advanced.

I'm guessing the expense of this project isn't included in the stadium cost figures.

I do like that it's proposed that the old 5th Street ramp be repurposed to provide an improved connection between Downtown and Cedar-Riverside. In lieu of a big ol' freeway lid....

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » December 2nd, 2014, 5:18 pm

Yes, but I was referring more to what happens to the city surface streets in response to the changes in the ramp connections. Specifically, how much of 5th Street goes away, etc. Similarly, we haven't seen any updates on the changes to Chicago, Park, and Portland when the intersect with the stadium and the commons.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » December 2nd, 2014, 5:27 pm

I wonder how that would have worked if Portland and Park didn't go through the Commons.

Rich
Rice Park

Postby Rich » December 2nd, 2014, 7:02 pm

pedro hillstream
Block E

Postby pedro hillstream » December 2nd, 2014, 8:18 pm

Seeing the players sprint and slide to a corner of cheering fans in celebration of a goal is a soccer mainstay. Covering up those seats would be a buzzkill if that is how it has to be.

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » December 2nd, 2014, 8:38 pm

Yeah, covering the corners is dumb. Looks fine besides that.
Towns!

HuskyGrad
Union Depot

Postby HuskyGrad » December 2nd, 2014, 10:03 pm

This is hideous. Apparently their idea is to plaster advertising everywhere.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk