U.S. Bank Stadium

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
kirby96
Union Depot

Re: U.S. Bank Stadium Construction Updates

Postby kirby96 » August 27th, 2015, 12:45 pm

^When you tell people how a word should be used, and base it on an incorrect understanding of that word's definition, you're gonna get a bit of grief. Think of the whole internet grammar thing. Correcting internet grammar is bad enough, but when you do it while subsequently making grammatical errors yourself, well...

It's the natural order of things.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » August 27th, 2015, 2:13 pm

https://youtu.be/zY8ReOvFtHg

Skyline view and everything.

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » August 27th, 2015, 3:03 pm

^Crazy that EA could get this game into Madden well before it's even finished but TCF Bank Stadium wasn't in the NCAA franchise until 2 years after the first season (IIRC).

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » August 27th, 2015, 3:52 pm

Surprising? Naw. This is a revenue generator for them. I'm sure the EA saw the plans before the planning commission.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

PigsEye

Postby PigsEye » August 27th, 2015, 4:23 pm

Why am I not surprised this discussion has so quickly devolved into an argument about the dictionary definition of a word?

Stop being so dramatic it nothing but a friendly conversation about an disagreement. Geeze! settle down haha.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » August 27th, 2015, 5:30 pm

Sometimes when you stick your foot in your mouth it's best to just leave it there so that nobody has to hear the rest of what you have to say.
Sorry to inconvenience you.

MN Fats
Union Depot

Postby MN Fats » August 27th, 2015, 7:09 pm

Why am I not surprised this discussion has so quickly devolved into an argument about the dictionary definition of a word?

Stop being so dramatic it nothing but a friendly conversation about an disagreement. Geeze! settle down haha.
I was just commenting the digression seems to fit this forum very well. My jimmies were not rustled :)

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » September 1st, 2015, 2:22 pm

Not a new issue, but some new details. Sounds like some subcontractors are owed millions of dollars - and MSFA and Mortensen are fighting about it.

Vikings stadium dispute revealed in letters to MSFA
http://www.startribune.com/vikings-stad ... 323521231/

VikingFaninMaryland
Nicollet Mall

Postby VikingFaninMaryland » September 1st, 2015, 3:45 pm

In an earlier article, pdfs of the complaint and response were posted. With the real caveat that there has to be something in the contract language not made available, it seems pretty straight forward that with an approved change order, a new costing is accepted which is, typically, not considered a part of the initial final fixed.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » September 1st, 2015, 3:58 pm

Nothing is ever as clean as that.

The example that both sides trotted out in the PDFs above (from memory, forgive inaccuracies) was the need to add a third main electrical service, something that happened late in the game and affected already completed work at a cost of $1m.

Mortenson says this was needed because the Vikings added a bunch of new TV's and stuff. So, therefore, new work not originally priced, and they should get paid for it (in this case, probably by the Vikings).

MSFA responds that the real reason the third service was needed was because Mortenson offered a deduct of $800k to replace gas appliances in food concessions with electric. But that change, they claim, triggered the need to upgrade the electrical service -- something that Mortenson, as the Construction Manager, should have known and understood when offering the initial change.

For a lot of things, it sounds like there aren't approved Change Orders (that is, a formal change to the contract that locks in the scope of the work, the cost of the work, and the impact on the schedule of the work) -- thats the whole problem. It's not uncommon, in fast tracked work, to direct work to proceed on a change prior to agreeing to who should pay for it or how much it should cost. The schedule doesn't allow for a lot of back and forth. They just know, in this case, that that they need that new electrical service, and every day they wait to put it in is going to hold up all of the work going on around it.

Chip Whitley
Metrodome

Postby Chip Whitley » September 7th, 2015, 12:32 pm

Walked around the stadium this weekend. Impressive progress on the east side, especially the southeast corner. The parking lot is in, the stairs are almost complete, basically just landscaping left it appears.

VikingFaninMaryland
Nicollet Mall

Postby VikingFaninMaryland » September 7th, 2015, 3:02 pm

Walked around the stadium this weekend. Impressive progress on the east side, especially the southeast corner. The parking lot is in, the stairs are almost complete, basically just landscaping left it appears.
So, where are the pictures (for those of us who don't live in the area)?

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » September 7th, 2015, 3:19 pm

US Bank Stadiums' twitter account has some.

Chip Whitley
Metrodome

Postby Chip Whitley » September 7th, 2015, 6:04 pm

Your wish is my command. I don't have many because I was taking someone's senior pictures at the new stadium but I took a few without someone in them.

Image Image Image

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » September 7th, 2015, 7:03 pm

Noticed today that they have since put of the skyway section to the actual stadium. Also noticed that on the long north side they have started installing the zinc panels at the top portion of the stadium. Will be interesting to see the sides of the stadium with the siding on That east end zone section looks great with it mainly complete. Still have touchup and ground level issues to finish at the end.

Has anyone heard of an enclosure date for the stadium when it will be able to be heated for finished work on the inside? Will they get the siding almost on by Thanksgiving?

VikingFaninMaryland
Nicollet Mall

Postby VikingFaninMaryland » September 7th, 2015, 10:08 pm

Your wish is my command. I don't have many because I was taking someone's senior pictures at the new stadium but I took a few without someone in them.

Image Image Image
Thank you!

Chip Whitley
Metrodome

Postby Chip Whitley » September 8th, 2015, 8:55 am

Has anyone heard of an enclosure date for the stadium when it will be able to be heated for finished work on the inside? Will they get the siding almost on by Thanksgiving?
I believe they are still on schedule to have it enclosed in November. They really need to have it enclosed before it gets too cold. As the major exterior work is getting fairly close to completion, they'll need to focus on the interior and things like plumbing, electronics, and even the seats probably can't handle the -20 degree days we'll have this winter. The east side already appears to be enclosed. The north and south sides appear to be close. The only large area left is obviously the west side, the "front door" so to speak. At their current rate, I think 60 days seems reasonable to get that area done.

Assuming an "enclosure" date of Thanksgiving, that really only gives them about 5-6 months to complete the interior. The keys are being handed over in July but I'm sure a lot of the interior needs to be completed by April/ May.

VikingFaninMaryland
Nicollet Mall

Postby VikingFaninMaryland » September 8th, 2015, 10:26 am

I know that the ETFE has to be completed in November because the material becomes very difficult to work with once the temp goes below 40 F. This was reported in the Stadium documentary a few weeks back along with the statements saying the top priority as of now is the completion of the roof for the winter working environment considerations noted.

I've heard the "enclosure" date used in three ways: One, to signify that the roof is fully covered - in November; Two, in ways that suggest that the roof and sides of the building are enclosed and the building sealed - in November; and Three, that the roof is enclosed in November but that the full enclosure of the stadium along the sides might not be completed until January or even February.

While the reporting on this seems unclear, especially about the full sealing of the building as late as January/February, I am certain that it was reported that way at least once.

TroyGBiv
US Bank Plaza

Postby TroyGBiv » September 8th, 2015, 11:38 pm

I like the exterior much more now that I see these photos... it looks more interesting and modern. I usually find that renderings looks better than reality - but this building exterior is so much more interesting!

Chip Whitley
Metrodome

Postby Chip Whitley » September 10th, 2015, 12:02 pm

One thing that bugs me and it's pretty obvious in pictures including the ones I posted, is the fact that the silver accent or whatever you want to call it doesn't align from panel to panel. My OCD hates this. I'm not sure how much they can do to fix it. Seems like they'd have to do some fairly major adjustments just to move it a few inches.

On another note, on last week's Beyond the Gridiron, they interviewed a member of the NFL scheduling team regarding the stadium who confirmed they like to open new stadiums to a national audience. Also, they said they prefer it to be a marquee match up. Both of which are probably pretty obvious. So that said, I'm willing to bet that the first regular season game in the new stadium will be on Sunday Night Football, September 11, 2016 at 8PM against the Packers. Any takers to that bet?