U.S. Bank Stadium

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
Silophant

Re: U.S. Bank Stadium Construction Updates

Postby Silophant » February 7th, 2016, 11:03 pm

Me four. I've been telling people that for a while now; it's a super-cool looking building. That I hope from the bottom of my heart winds up being called the Sandcrawler, or possibly the Snowcrawler.

Every so often I see someone complaining on Twitter or wherever that in 10 years, the stadium will be the iconic default establishing shot of Minneapolis, and I think, "well, that wouldn't really be so bad."
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » February 7th, 2016, 11:26 pm

I think it's super cool too. I was underwhelmed when the first renderings were released, but I've come around completely. It's unique as they come and brings some attitude. Target Field is gorgeous and classy, which fits perfectly with baseball in the summer. USBank Stadium is dark and sinister and screams football in the cold months.
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » February 8th, 2016, 2:58 pm

Some tidbits on their planning for Super Bowl 52 Shows some ideas they have for public spaces and what they anticipate in economic impact.

http://www.vikings.com/media-vault/vide ... sf20557699

Rube Dali
Nicollet Mall

Postby Rube Dali » February 8th, 2016, 3:56 pm

The temp wall protecting the western doors are going down as I type this.
Buildings, what buildings?

Ubermoose
Nicollet Mall

Postby Ubermoose » February 9th, 2016, 12:52 pm

Looks like they are installing a Boise State type field surface. :lol:

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » February 9th, 2016, 10:09 pm

I'm one that is tired of the financing debate, it is done and nothing is going to change any of the facts. I do find the stadium to be quite unique, Will give one great shot coming in from the NE and from 94 as you head in from St Paul. Still not so sure the doors will be this buildings best foot forward. But it will be causing buzz for at least a decade I'm sure.

minneboom
Nicollet Mall

Postby minneboom » February 15th, 2016, 7:40 pm

It looks like the Vikings are searching for more tailgating space around the stadium. A bunch of tailgating parking lots that sit empty all year long does not seem like good idea. Could certain streets be temporarily closed for additional parking or could other lots be distributed along the green/blue line?

http://m.startribune.com/vikings-scramb ... 368859111/

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » February 15th, 2016, 8:19 pm

Food trucks could help.

acs
Wells Fargo Center

Postby acs » February 15th, 2016, 8:20 pm

I'll fight anything that gives a boost to surface parking. Railgating has been thrown around it seems for a while, I just don't know if anything has ever come of it. It would be a cool and somewhat unique sports tradition to develop.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » February 15th, 2016, 8:28 pm

Sorry we don't need surface parking lots left just so tailgaters have a place to party 8 weekend a year and we have to deal with empty lots 52 weeks a year.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » February 15th, 2016, 8:29 pm

Sorry we don't need surface parking lots left just so tailgaters have a place to party 8 weekend a year and we have to deal with empty lots 52 weeks a year.
44.....sorry, had to do it.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » February 15th, 2016, 8:48 pm

I never got the appeal of tailgating... But for anyone who does it or has done it, why does it need to happen in a surface lot near the stadium the game is held at? Why can't it just happen at any surface lot outside a bar? With the rise in trick or treating out the trunks of cars in mall or school parking lots, maybe move tailgating there also?

acs
Wells Fargo Center

Postby acs » February 15th, 2016, 9:07 pm

Well, you do need to be able to get to the game. You can't exactly do that from a random mall out in the burbs when you're not in a state to drive. That's where LRT comes in handy.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » February 15th, 2016, 9:17 pm

44 weekends, but still have the 52 weeks that we look at the wonderful asphalt shrine to the automobiles.

Chip Whitley
Metrodome

Postby Chip Whitley » February 16th, 2016, 12:56 am

I never got the appeal of tailgating... But for anyone who does it or has done it, why does it need to happen in a surface lot near the stadium the game is held at? Why can't it just happen at any surface lot outside a bar? With the rise in trick or treating out the trunks of cars in mall or school parking lots, maybe move tailgating there also?
It is just a lot better experience to be close to the stadium and around all the other fans. At game time, you have a lot of drunk people that were tailgating that need to get the stadium fairly quickly. Having them get on a bus at game time would not difficult and cut into their tailgating time.

I think the Vikings will have to think of a unique solution(s) to this. Tailgating fans are often the most hardcore, loyal, and importantly, loudest fans. It's wise to keep them happy. I know many people don't understand the appeal of tailgating but it's an important part of the game/ fan experience for many.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » February 16th, 2016, 8:37 am

It's a part of the game born out of suburban stadiums with acres of parking where there was literally nothing else to eat or drink before a game. We have a much different stadium environment and I think trying to replicate a suburban experience is just going to end poorly.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » February 16th, 2016, 8:58 am

US Bank Stadium is preserving parking lots within a 6 block radius. It's an economic juggernaut!
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » February 16th, 2016, 9:31 am

44 weekends, but still have the 52 weeks that we look at the wonderful asphalt shrine to the automobiles.
I see.....I got hung up on the word "empty" (and missed the "weekends"/"weeks" decipher) and thought you miscalc'd.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » February 16th, 2016, 9:34 am

How do they do this in Chicago? That's prime real estate too.i

*Edit: it looks like there are surface parking options to the south of the stadium that could support tailgating. I'm surprised!

mplsjaromir
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mplsjaromir » February 16th, 2016, 9:56 am

It is 2.5 miles from Chicago's CBD to the Soldier Field parking lots. A much different situation than Minneapolis.

I think it's ridiculous that men who play dress up like Viking warriors can't walk six blocks. All hat no cattle.