U.S. Bank Stadium

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
John
Capella Tower

Re: Minnesota Multi Purpose Stadium

Postby John » May 17th, 2014, 12:23 pm

^^^Yes, they borrowed some of the concepts/ideas and used them in the current design. You can see that clearly with the large entrance doors, the use of natural light , the huge window-like view of the skyline, and the way the geometric forms of the stadium enfold upon each other.

go4guy
Foshay Tower

Postby go4guy » May 20th, 2014, 1:48 pm

Minneapolis has been awarded the 2018 Super Bowl!

nBode
Union Depot

Postby nBode » May 20th, 2014, 2:12 pm

The group making the pitch included Richard Davis from US Bank… any chance this is a hint at a US Bank Stadium?

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2014/05/2 ... uper-bowl/

Also the article mentions that they used Minnesota winters as a selling point, which I think is phenomenal.

minnyapple
Nicollet Mall

Postby minnyapple » May 20th, 2014, 2:17 pm

You gotta think getting the 2018 Superbowl will help sell the naming rights more quickly & for more money. Not that i assume that would be a challenge anyway though. Now they need to get a WWE Wrestlemania booked for 2017 or beyond.

fehler
Rice Park

Postby fehler » May 20th, 2014, 2:30 pm

Home of the Big Lii. Fitting.

twinkess
Target Field

Postby twinkess » May 20th, 2014, 2:44 pm

Looks like a good year to bring back the ice castle!

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » May 20th, 2014, 3:08 pm

Winter Magic Mk II?

minnyapple
Nicollet Mall

Postby minnyapple » May 20th, 2014, 3:45 pm

I wonder if this announcement today will lead to more hotels being built downtown?

Viktor Vaughn
Target Field

Postby Viktor Vaughn » May 20th, 2014, 4:06 pm

I don't think one event (however large) would be able to swing the economics of whether or not to build a hotel. However, it could effect the timing of a hotel construction as projects rush to finish before the game.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » May 20th, 2014, 4:47 pm

Yeah, I'm guessing this'll be a push forward for that hotel that was proposed for the 700 block of Washington. Probably the CC hotel proposals that Avian has hinted at as well.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » May 20th, 2014, 5:23 pm

Here is a new photo showing the Yard with a giant tent over it for the Super Bowl. Also includes the parking ramp hotel.

https://twitter.com/seifertespn/status/ ... 6357276672

Minneboy
US Bank Plaza

Postby Minneboy » May 20th, 2014, 6:41 pm

Well at least they got the snow there.

nickmgray
Union Depot

Postby nickmgray » May 21st, 2014, 1:35 pm

I wonder if this announcement today will lead to more hotels being built downtown?
Highly unlikely. If we have enough hotel rooms to host the final four, we have more than enough hotel rooms for the Super Bowl - especially considering that the event is on a weekend. Hotel occupancy in downtown hotels peaks during week nights. Things get really slow on weekends in the dead of winter unless there is a large wedding party.

When I worked at the Grand Hotel, we would drop Friday and Saturday night rates down to $99 for a room which would typically go for $250 on a week night.

IllogicalJake
Target Field

Postby IllogicalJake » May 21st, 2014, 8:57 pm

Highly unlikely. If we have enough hotel rooms to host the final four, we have more than enough hotel rooms for the Super Bowl - especially considering that the event is on a weekend.
Indy had hosted the Final Four several times and still the JW Marriott resulted from the Super Bowl announcement for 2012. I don't know if I'd say it's totally unlikely.
i talk too much. web dev, downtown. admin @ tower.ly

Aville_37
Union Depot

Postby Aville_37 » May 21st, 2014, 9:06 pm

Here is a new photo showing the Yard with a giant tent over it for the Super Bowl. Also includes the parking ramp hotel.

Don't like the idea of having a tent over the entire park. The idea should be to showcase the city and show the world it's cool to celebrate winters/the outdoors. Also don't like the idea of the entire park being privatized for one event.

IllogicalJake
Target Field

Postby IllogicalJake » May 21st, 2014, 9:46 pm

Don't like the idea of having a tent over the entire park. The idea should be to showcase the city and show the world it's cool to celebrate winters/the outdoors. Also don't like the idea of the entire park being privatized for one event.
The NFL requires a really large event space. Aside from privatizing Nicollet Mall for the week, I can't think of anywhere else for them to hold it. Besides, wasn't the park's ample space a selling point in the bid?

Either way, these are very early ideas and there's no telling what the final result will be for that space on SB week. I'm sure it'll be something a little more than just a tent over a park.

Tom H.
US Bank Plaza

Postby Tom H. » May 22nd, 2014, 7:11 am

What about the refurbished Armory for an event space?

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » May 22nd, 2014, 8:00 am

Just a guess, the Armory space would be a possibility but it wasn't a sure enough bet to include in the bid. Hopefully we'll see some space needs met by the Armory and a smaller tent in the Yard.

IllogicalJake
Target Field

Postby IllogicalJake » May 22nd, 2014, 8:19 am

After following Indy's set up of the 2012 SB, I really got a sense for how much event space is truly needed. In Indy, several blocks of Georgia St. and Capitol Ave., including quite a few vacant lots. "The NFL Experience" took up the entire Convention Center, with additional event space blocked off at Monument Circle at the center of downtown.

I'm not sure if we can expect to see the Convention Center utilized the same way in Minneapolis, being a decent walk farther from the stadium, so there's a lot that needs to be packed into the area. We can't forget the scale of this thing – I could see the giant tent in the render housing just one of dozens of event spaces during the week leading up to the The Big Game™.

nickmgray
Union Depot

Postby nickmgray » May 22nd, 2014, 10:27 am

Highly unlikely. If we have enough hotel rooms to host the final four, we have more than enough hotel rooms for the Super Bowl - especially considering that the event is on a weekend.
Indy had hosted the Final Four several times and still the JW Marriott resulted from the Super Bowl announcement for 2012. I don't know if I'd say it's totally unlikely.
Did a little checking. The JW Marriott in Indianapolis was proposed in 2007 as part of the Indianapolis Convention Center redesign. Indianapolis did not win the SuperBowl bid until May of 2008. As i said. proposed hotel project will probably be pushed through faster to make sure they are ready for the event, but no one in their right mind would say "we're getting the superbowl, we should build a hotel." There has to be enough market demand in place on a regular basis since it takes a decade or two to recuperate the initial cost of building a hotel.