U.S. Bank Stadium

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
mplsjaromir
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Minnesota Multi Purpose Stadium

Postby mplsjaromir » February 7th, 2014, 1:04 pm

I know its subjective, but the exterior is hideous. This monstrosity looks like someone on LSD attempting to assemble an over-sized pole barn. Acres of blank walls, just what DTE needs. I'm chortling at the thought of anyone paying $10k for a seat in this Analytic Cubism train wreck.

Avian
Union Depot

Postby Avian » February 7th, 2014, 1:40 pm

You need to look more carefully. There are also acres of glass in this building. And I like Analytic Cubism. Braque is one of my faves. :)

“Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something.”
― Plato

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » February 7th, 2014, 2:12 pm

I personally like it, there is a lot of glass, and they did a good job creating dynamics in the solid walls. It's a lot more modern and cosmopolitan than other NFL stadiums.

I just wish I had $10k dollars, I'll allow the people who do have it to spend it how they please.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » February 7th, 2014, 9:27 pm

I see some warm colored accents on the exterior. Are they going to use Kasota stone? It would make a nice contrast to the zinc paneling. The building's design actually looks influenced by Japanese Origami in its angular enfolding forms. Whether that is intentional I'm not sure. I also personally like it too as compared to many other football stadiums.

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » February 17th, 2014, 2:38 pm

Top of the back wall of the Dome just collapsed. Construction workers on the webcam are all standing around and talking- looks like it may not have been intentional.

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » February 17th, 2014, 3:03 pm

Top of the back wall of the Dome just collapsed. Construction workers on the webcam are all standing around and talking- looks like it may not have been intentional.
On (i think) Friday morning, I watched them for about 15 minutes straight slam a wrecking ball into the exact same section of concrete with no real result. The ball was hitting every 10 seconds or so -- so it was a lot of hits.

What I'm saying is that I'm not sure there's a ton of science behind this process.
Towns!

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » February 17th, 2014, 4:07 pm

Demolition is suspended until an investigation is complete. No one was injured:
http://www.startribune.com/local/minnea ... 75131.html

It'd be cool to see video of this.

Ubermoose
Nicollet Mall

Postby Ubermoose » February 17th, 2014, 4:32 pm

I had noticed the same thing after checking out the webcam when I returned from lunch. I called up my brother and told him it looked like they were doing a head count. There were 3 different groups standing together and they seemed to be all looking at the section that had come down. I was going to post something here, but the stadium thread was locked at the time.

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » February 17th, 2014, 6:04 pm

I just went out and looked at the webcam from this afternoon. WOW! That is a big chunk that fell. I wonder if this will change the plan of demolition? I have to imagine that it collapsed due to structural stress.

Here are screen grabs from 12:45 and 1:15pm.

12:45 http://www.flickr.com/photos/71255212@N00/12601438694/

1:15 http://www.flickr.com/photos/71255212@N00/12601438604/

mplsjaromir
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mplsjaromir » February 18th, 2014, 10:18 am

You need to look more carefully. There are also acres of glass in this building. And I like Analytic Cubism. Braque is one of my faves. :)
I don't actually dislike the style, I just do not think its appropriate for one of the largest buildings in the city.

JMS9

Postby JMS9 » February 18th, 2014, 11:20 pm

Sweet, Dad unlocked the thread for us. :roll:

Nick, ever thought of maybe letting adults be adults and laying off the 1930's Catholic nun shtick and cracking the whip all the time? Maybe not send our best sources of info away from the site and over to SSP and SSC because their sick of the over-moderation? Just some food for thought.

JMS9

Postby JMS9 » February 18th, 2014, 11:22 pm

I don't understand why they just don't bring the motherf'er down instead of going section by section. Strap some TNT on it and implode it and be done with it.

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » February 19th, 2014, 9:07 am

yea was wondering that too. just take it down in one implosion and haul away the debris. guess they had their reasons. maybe to protect the surrounding neighborhood from debris.

talindsay
Wells Fargo Center

Postby talindsay » February 19th, 2014, 9:12 am

I assume they are trying to salvage materials.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » February 19th, 2014, 11:47 am

Since Stadium Miscellaneous is locked-

This image popped up in the Water Works Park park presentation and I hadn't seen it before. Think something like this will still happen with the current proposals surrounding the MMPS? It would certainly enhance the stadium plaza area and create a better streetscape. They could style it like the Alumni Center so that between the stadium and this parcel we'd have a mini mountain range in Downtown East.

Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » February 19th, 2014, 11:49 am

Something like this, but 'MN Modern'.

Last edited by seanrichardryan on February 19th, 2014, 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » February 19th, 2014, 11:51 am

Wouldn't the vikes get upset that it would screen the park and the stadium from each other?

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » February 19th, 2014, 12:03 pm

I think that's real old like... really old from when people were proposing whatever they wanted for the new stadium

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » February 19th, 2014, 12:10 pm

I should have guessed that by the plethora of decorative flags in the rendering.

go4guy
Foshay Tower

Postby go4guy » February 19th, 2014, 12:32 pm

I am certain this could happen and not block any view out of the moving glass doors of the new stadium. I believe that opens up to down 5th. So build this right, and it would not block a view.