U.S. Bank Stadium

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
HuskyGrad
Union Depot

Re: Minnesota Multi Purpose Stadium

Postby HuskyGrad » May 7th, 2014, 7:34 am

Fourth tower crane is going up along 4th St.

Tom H.
US Bank Plaza

Postby Tom H. » May 7th, 2014, 8:10 am

I'm kind of amazed by the dirt piles on the parking lots between 3rd & 4th:
I believe that Zygi is charging the state rent to store these dirt piles on his parking lots.

EDIT: Wilf's property taxes are being waived for these lots while the dirt is stored on them, to the tune of $90k. Not much, but it still doesn't look good. Source.

moda253
Nicollet Mall

Postby moda253 » May 7th, 2014, 8:31 am

So waiving the property taxes costs 90k but saves a million and people are going to whine about it?

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » May 7th, 2014, 8:58 am

We'll give this public money to the Wilfs one way, or we'll save it and give it to them another!

Tom H.
US Bank Plaza

Postby Tom H. » May 7th, 2014, 10:04 am

I agree, $90k is a drop in the bucket, and saves $1M to the project. It's just a little sickening that a billionaire like Zygi went to a lot of trouble to make sure he profited from the cost savings.

Drizzay
Metrodome

Postby Drizzay » May 7th, 2014, 12:24 pm

It is smart business on his end. You can't blame him for that.

And the people that hate him will continue to hate him, regardless of this "shrewd" business move or not.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » May 7th, 2014, 12:28 pm

Yeah... He's a land owner... He made good life decisions... haters gonna hate, but I can't see why it's not reasonable.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » May 7th, 2014, 1:02 pm

I don't think most people are upset with him. Most people are upset with politicians who are handing him money.

moda253
Nicollet Mall

Postby moda253 » May 7th, 2014, 1:31 pm

I don't think most people are upset with him. Most people are upset with politicians who are handing him money.
If they would have handed someone else money would that make it better? he did have to cancel parking leases that could have run longer. And are they giving him money or are they forgiving tax amounts?

mplsjaromir
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mplsjaromir » May 7th, 2014, 1:42 pm

Yeah... He's a land owner... He made good life decisions... haters gonna hate, but I can't see why it's not reasonable.
He was very wise when he chose to be born into a wealthy land holding family.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » May 7th, 2014, 3:34 pm

he could have sold it all and done whatever when he inherited it. that's a life choice.

John21
Rice Park

Postby John21 » May 7th, 2014, 5:21 pm

So waiving the property taxes costs 90k but saves a million and people are going to whine about it?
Who is saving the $1 million?

StoJa9

Postby StoJa9 » May 7th, 2014, 8:35 pm

If they would have handed someone else money would that make it better? he did have to cancel parking leases that could have run longer. And are they giving him money or are they forgiving tax amounts?
Or handed money to whatever lobbiest or special interest group they have under the table on that given week? The money is always going somewhere and usually not anywhere the public won't bitch about.

StoJa9

Postby StoJa9 » May 7th, 2014, 8:38 pm

So we're hating people based on the parents that procreate them now? This site.... :roll:

mplser
US Bank Plaza

Postby mplser » May 8th, 2014, 2:42 am

So we're hating people based on the parents that procreate them now? This site.... :roll:
no, we're just seeing through the whole "billionaires must just work harder than everyone else" talking point

IllogicalJake
Target Field

Postby IllogicalJake » May 8th, 2014, 8:44 am

no, we're just seeing through the whole "billionaires must just work harder than everyone else" talking point
I thought I'd seen some pointless arguments on here, but this thread (almost) takes the cake.

PS: Nobody said what you just "quoted" at all, so I can't quite tell what you're "seeing through." You can hate the guy, but you're literally making things up. Stop it.

On another note – does anyone know the schedule on which the remaining buildings will start being torn down? I'm assuming Strib's main building will be among the last.
i talk too much. web dev, downtown. admin @ tower.ly

Viktor Vaughn
Target Field

Postby Viktor Vaughn » May 8th, 2014, 10:10 am

Someone said he's sucessful because he made good life decisions. This feeds into American Mythology about meritocracy, job creators, & boot straps. In fact, the man is wealthy because his father was wealthy. The greatest predicter of wealth is not hard work or smarts, but your parent's wealth. We're among the least economically mobile society in the western world. The aristocracy of Europe don't have anything on America's self-dealing plutocracy.

That must be what he meant by seeing through the talking point.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/05/us/ha ... d=all&_r=0

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » May 8th, 2014, 10:21 am

The money involved in this deal is essentially negligible, which is why this story feeds into the perception that Wilf is greedy and is nickel-and-diming our state.

Viktor Vaughn
Target Field

Postby Viktor Vaughn » May 8th, 2014, 10:44 am

If the money is negligible, you'd think he'd turn it down so as not to further demonstrate the fact that he is taking public money coming and going while actual public needs go unmet.

A reasonable person would realize they benefit from this project many magnitudes more than anyone else and would decide out of some sense of gratitude to not further ding the public.

"I'd be happy to let you use my land to build a stadium to my specs at public cost" a decent person may say, "I'll lose some thousands in parking revenue, but it's the least I can do considering this project already increased my personal net worth by a few hundred million before it even broke ground."

You see, it's these little insults that remind us we need to get out of this abusive relationship with entitled mooches and their politican enablers.

moda253
Nicollet Mall

Postby moda253 » May 8th, 2014, 11:54 am

Who is saving the $1 million?
The Project?

Listen if this is just going to be a sit and bitch about an NFL owner why don't we just lock this thread up again?