Gaviidae Common / Downtown YMCA

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
Qhaberl
Foshay Tower

Re: Gaviidae Common / Downtown YMCA

Postby Qhaberl » January 30th, 2018, 1:47 pm

May have been asked already, but what's going to happen to the old location?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nordeast homer
US Bank Plaza

Postby nordeast homer » January 31st, 2018, 11:05 am

I believe it was being turned into apartments, but someone else may be able to confirm that.

jmoney
City Center

Postby jmoney » February 1st, 2018, 1:41 pm

Here are some of the highlights:
Queenax is the biggest piece of equipment and it has plastic pullup bars. This thing just rips your hands to shreds. If you need some weird Youtube videos watch Queenax workouts.

The turf area is a lawsuit waiting to happen. There is a huge gap between the floor and where the railing starts. I just hope someones phone or water bottle doesn't fall onto someone below. They should have just enclosed this area. I was told they are going to install a net by one of the personal trainers. The gap going down to the Skyway is larger than the actual workout area so you get a weird feeling of vertigo when lifting weights next to a railing three stories up. The best part is the first floor Powerhouse room, but the room is for personal trainers only. The Y also added a bunch of classes which are 16 dollars a class. It is the Y not Core Power Yoga. The instructor quality is a bit lacking. The equipment is all new but it is the same stuff at all the YMCAs. Matrix treadmills are garbage.

The biggest plus so far is the yoga room which is heated but I don't think the HVAC system works yet.

Record Machine
Metrodome

Postby Record Machine » February 1st, 2018, 6:31 pm

$25/ mo for a locker is a bit off-putting.

BoredAgain
Union Depot

Postby BoredAgain » February 2nd, 2018, 3:12 pm

$25/ mo for a locker is a bit off-putting.
Think of it as a parking spot for your workout clothes. Charging the people who want/use that parking spot reduces costs for the people who don't. More efficient than providing free clothes parking for everyone.

jmoney
City Center

Postby jmoney » February 13th, 2018, 8:14 am

$25/month is steep for a $69/month membership, but it isn't that bad considering the total number of lockers available. They significantly decreased the total number when they moved from the old to new building. The new pool looks like a large bathtub. My favorite part is the awesome gym that is on the first floor. I was able to go down there and I can't say enough about how much I enjoy the space. The only downside is that it is for personal trainers and their clients only. This is probably the biggest mistake by the Y. It will probably take them about 2-3 months to open this up to the common folk once enough people complain about the space not being utilized, which is sad.

MplsErik
City Center

Postby MplsErik » February 20th, 2018, 11:35 am

I love the first-floor space as well. There will be classes in the first level space in addition to one on one sessions with personal trainers. Access is limited at this time because they don't want anyone down there when it's unstaffed. If something bad happened - think injury/medical episode - it could be a while before someone was there to help you. I'm optimistic that it will be opened up (staffed) more in the long term.

$25/month is steep for a $69/month membership, but it isn't that bad considering the total number of lockers available. They significantly decreased the total number when they moved from the old to new building. The new pool looks like a large bathtub. My favorite part is the awesome gym that is on the first floor. I was able to go down there and I can't say enough about how much I enjoy the space. The only downside is that it is for personal trainers and their clients only. This is probably the biggest mistake by the Y. It will probably take them about 2-3 months to open this up to the common folk once enough people complain about the space not being utilized, which is sad.

paul
Block E

Postby paul » February 20th, 2018, 11:43 am

YMCA is exploring a Downtown East satellite location. City and County and nearby employees are being surveyed.

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » February 20th, 2018, 11:50 am

Within Thrivent or the new MPLS office building I wonder?

paul
Block E

Postby paul » February 20th, 2018, 11:58 am

Thrivent would make more sense if they want the HCMC crowd.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » February 20th, 2018, 2:02 pm

Thrivent is only four blocks from Gaviidae, and the new MPLS office building is even closer. Seems like you'd want to be further away than that. Is there leasable space left in one of the Wells Fargo towers? Or the Ironclad?

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » February 20th, 2018, 2:06 pm

They could also locate closer to Washington and the Mill area. Maybe even the block that has the Crooked Pint? It could be skyway connected to the Gateway Ramp and thereby Government properties.

jmoney
City Center

Postby jmoney » February 21st, 2018, 7:47 am

Downstairs access is limited because there isn't a staff member there is a poor excuse for unused space. Let me know if you want to work out at 3 a.m. at Anytime Fitness or Snap Fitness. The space is eventually going to be open. I will bet you lunch over that one. It might take 6 months to a year to open it to the locals. The downstairs workout area is the best part of the new Y. If the room is being used 7 hours a week I highly doubt a bunch of members are going to super happy about that. The additional couple thousand plus members that just signed up are eventually going to push the right button on someone. Time and pressure will eventually get a hold of this one. The hardest part is having the patience to watch something that is inevitable.

MplsErik
City Center

Postby MplsErik » February 21st, 2018, 12:04 pm

Give it some time and share your feedback with the Y. There's a comment box/book at the front counter.

jmoney
City Center

Postby jmoney » February 22nd, 2018, 7:48 am

Sounds great. The ironic part about the downstairs gym is the design was built similar to a crossfit style gym. Most of the personal training clients are 50-70 year olds. I all for grandma and grandpa squatting 425 lbs and throwing around a bunch of kettlebells and ropes. I don't think a comment box is going to help the board or whatever group that makes the decision on running this place change. The Twin Cities Y is a strange non-profit with 322 million in assets and over 40 million in revenue. Currently I think they are having a problem identifying the culture and vibe, which I think can be hard to grasp. During the day the Y is used by downtown workers and at night by local residents, which are two completely different groups of people. I swear the average age drops about 20 plus years from day to night. In the meantime I have been going to Fly Feet Running, which is out of this world awesome. FFR did an amazing job with design of their space and bringing in high quality folks to run the place.