Gaviidae Common / Downtown YMCA

Postby HiawathaGuy » June 5th, 2015, 8:14 am

YMCA may relocate downtown Minneapolis facility
http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/b ... ility.html

trkaiser
Landmark Center

Re: Downtown Minneapolis General Topics & Development Map

Postby trkaiser » June 5th, 2015, 8:16 am

I haven't been in the YMCA for years - why do you think they'd want to move to a new space?

MplsErik
City Center

Postby MplsErik » June 5th, 2015, 8:41 am

I'm curious about the Y as well. I'm there everyday and for the most part it's pretty busy. I would suspect that they are looking for a larger space. The current location doesn't leave really any room for expansion. That brings the question of where could they go that would be large enough? And what amenities would it have?

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » June 5th, 2015, 9:28 am

I keep wondering if LA Fitness will try to open a location downtown. They are the only one missing. Right?

MplsErik
City Center

Postby MplsErik » June 5th, 2015, 9:36 am

I keep wondering if LA Fitness will try to open a location downtown. They are the only one missing. Right?
Correct. There is no LA Fitness downtown. If the Y left their current space they'd be leaving a place for a potential competitor to move in.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » June 5th, 2015, 10:06 am

I'm curious about the Y as well. I'm there everyday and for the most part it's pretty busy. I would suspect that they are looking for a larger space. The current location doesn't leave really any room for expansion. That brings the question of where could they go that would be large enough? And what amenities would it have?
Assuming they're looking to build a new building rather than renovate an existing one, there's a block and a half of parking fronting Hennepin a block south of the current location.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » June 5th, 2015, 12:22 pm

Assuming they're looking to build a new building rather than renovate an existing one, there's a block and a half of parking fronting Hennepin a block south of the current location.
I think you are talking about the church owned parking lot that would have to be bought or some kind of a parking agreement would have to be worked out to build on that site. Across the street from there is a full block that is open, but not sure the Y could afford the purchase price and the city wants density on that block. They would then have to deal with a developer to be part of a much bigger and more complicated decision making process who they would only be a part of the puzzle. The current Y is only about 25 years old and should be in as great as shape as the rest of La Salle Plaza. The Y was all new construction. The Old Y was turned into apartments. Maybe they need to do some cosmetic work, but the bones should be in great shape.

nBode
Union Depot

Postby nBode » February 1st, 2016, 3:28 pm

I just heard that the YMCA will be moving to Gaviidae.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » February 1st, 2016, 3:33 pm

That should be interesting if true.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » February 9th, 2016, 8:18 pm

I just heard that the YMCA will be moving to Gaviidae.
So, this got lost in the 501 Washington discussion, but I was reminded of it when walking through Gaviidae today. The Y would pretty much have to be in the third and fourth (is there a fifth? I don't remember) floors of the old Saks, right? Removing the atrium like RBC Plaza did would be a travesty, and there's not really that much room around it, especially on the Nicollet Mall side.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » February 9th, 2016, 8:21 pm

We already lost half of that amazing interior... I'll chain myself up if they plan to get rid of the other half.

nBode
Union Depot

Postby nBode » February 10th, 2016, 11:51 am

Yeah, I'm not sure of any of the details. But apparently they've already sold their current digs.

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » February 10th, 2016, 12:16 pm

I don't like the sound of that at all...makes me think they are going to close off that atrium. I had been hoping they could find something to do with the upper floors and keep the bottom two retail, while retaining that atrium. As it is now, the corner space that BMO vacated would be perfect for a nice 2 story tenant, they could take the old Museum Co/Radio shack space on 2 also. I have been hoping to hear something about that. Hopefully they don't plan to just turn the whole thing into the Y! They almost need a building the size of the whole thing...all speculation of course, but maybe that is why we haven't seen any new leases in there in some of the long vacant spaces.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » February 17th, 2016, 1:43 pm

:|

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » February 17th, 2016, 1:52 pm

So the S 6th street seems to take the upper floors of the old Sak's store out of play now, that would be 7th and Nic. Can't think of any place other than City Center that would have any kind of space for a Y at that corner. If they are thinking about closing up the Gaviidee Arcade for a Y there will be a loud outburst from many different corners of the community. That is our last catalyst to get retail back on track for the mall.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » February 17th, 2016, 3:25 pm

If they are thinking about closing up the Gaviidee Arcade for a Y there will be a loud outburst from many different corners of the community
Highly doubt it. Sure, it's pretty nice and I too would prefer it to remain as-is, but I really don't think there are too many people who give a damn about it. Plus, it would likely be all internal changes, so the city wouldn't have much, if any leverage at all.

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » February 17th, 2016, 3:56 pm

Ugh, it's like the owners don't even try. Gaviidae could definitely work in a form somewhat close to what it is... Very sad. The upper floors could certainly be something more unique (harder now that the two buildings are owned separately) and if there's anywhere downtown that retail can come back, and/or be decent, it is here on the first two floors. Ugh, these two blocks have just been chopped up and ruined by landlords. Could have been so much better. We haven't heard the plan yet of course, but sounds like bad news to me. Maybe if it is a smaller facility with no pool, it can work with the atrium.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » February 17th, 2016, 5:40 pm

If they are thinking about closing up the Gaviidee Arcade for a Y there will be a loud outburst from many different corners of the community
Highly doubt it. Sure, it's pretty nice and I too would prefer it to remain as-is, but I really don't think there are too many people who give a damn about it. Plus, it would likely be all internal changes, so the city wouldn't have much, if any leverage at all.
I think those interiors are historic for sure and we already lost half of it. People should be devastated and the city should realize what an asset those kinds of public space are. It's ridiculous to have that lost for a gym.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » February 17th, 2016, 5:56 pm

Is it Gaviidae I/ Norwest or Gaviidae II/ RBC where they're scouting space?
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » February 17th, 2016, 6:08 pm

I guess I never even considered that it might be RBC. Did they ever lease out the top two floors?
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]