Vesi Apartments - W River Parkway & Plymouth Ave N

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
Nathan
Capella Tower

Vesi Apartments - W River Parkway & Plymouth Ave N

Postby Nathan » December 18th, 2017, 8:54 am

Opus is planning 225 apartments between the star Tribune and w river parkway @ Plymouth avenue.

Site plan looks pretty cool as reported on the development tracker. Not sure if documents have hit the city.

http://www.tdtmpls.com/news/2017/12/17/ ... north-loop

Anondson
IDS Center

Re: Opus North Loop Apartments on W river parkway

Postby Anondson » December 18th, 2017, 8:59 am

Site plan is looking nice. I’m seeing possible future desire paths forming on the far eastern edge. Hope they don’t walk that off and instead makes them official.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » December 18th, 2017, 9:06 am

I like that it looks to have high quality materials and pays a lot of respect to the parkway with green courtyards and ample setbacks. The walk ups on the private drive and on Plymouth! Are really great considering the current environment. (I hope that it puts pressure on Lupe (or whoever owns that lot on Plymouth and 2nd to offer something more urban than a strip mall.)

bapster2006
Foshay Tower

Postby bapster2006 » December 18th, 2017, 9:27 am

Yep, the plans were reviewed by Committee of the Whole on Dec 7.

http://www.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/www/gro ... 206928.pdf

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » December 18th, 2017, 3:14 pm

One of the photos in the packet showed the substation across Plymouth Avenue from this project. I looked It up one Google maps and realized this is unfortunately taking up a lot of nice land right on the river.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » December 18th, 2017, 10:17 pm

'Private Drive' and no 8th Avenue vehicular connection? Boo. Star tribune owns the ROW and must be selling it to Opus. Another waste for connectivity in the neighborhood.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » December 18th, 2017, 10:27 pm

One of the photos in the packet showed the substation across Plymouth Avenue from this project. I looked It up one Google maps and realized this is unfortunately taking up a lot of nice land right on the river.
Yeah. It does at least have a textured concrete wall instead of chain link fence on the street facing sides, but that's about all it has going for it.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » December 19th, 2017, 10:51 am

'Private Drive' and no 8th Avenue vehicular connection? Boo. Star tribune owns the ROW and must be selling it to Opus. Another waste for connectivity in the neighborhood.
I know I had the same response just upstream, but I'm still not convinced that it's important to have a vehicular connection here. My suspicion is that there's actually a city policy that deliberately limits connections to the parkways.

The pedestrian connection is absolutely critical, of course, and it looks lovely on the site plan.

Related, the 8th Avenue pedestrian connection between 2nd and Washington should be among the city's highest transportation priorities.

grrdanko
Landmark Center

Postby grrdanko » December 19th, 2017, 11:24 am

I know I had the same response just upstream, but I'm still not convinced that it's important to have a vehicular connection here. My suspicion is that there's actually a city policy that deliberately limits connections to the parkways.

The pedestrian connection is absolutely critical, of course, and it looks lovely on the site plan.

Related, the 8th Avenue pedestrian connection between 2nd and Washington should be among the city's highest transportation priorities.

I agree that it would be nice, but highest priority? There is a pedestrian connection at 7th.

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » December 19th, 2017, 12:02 pm

^ Yes, but it's basically 800' away, longer than a N-S non-downtown block, and without an 8th St connection it's over a quarter of a mile between the 7th St ped walkway and the sidewalk on 10th. That really limits pedestrian circulation to/from the cool stuff along and north of Washington, potential pedestrian routes to transit, etc etc.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » December 19th, 2017, 12:42 pm

It also traverses through a privately owned tunnel and most people don't know that it exists.

MattW
Rice Park

Postby MattW » December 19th, 2017, 2:46 pm

It also traverses through a privately owned tunnel and most people don't know that it exists.
I run along river road 3-4 times a week. Until today I did not know this existed.

BigIdeasGuy
Union Depot

Postby BigIdeasGuy » December 19th, 2017, 6:32 pm

Opus first proposed 200 apartments for this site and the neighborhood pushed back saying it wasn't what it was looking for, they were suggesting condos or a "structure of significance" they're words. While this isn't a bad proposal it's 1. still apartments and 2. doesn't qualify as a structure of significance to me. It will be interesting to see how this one moves forward and if the NL is able to get Opus to get aggressive.

relux
Metrodome

Postby relux » December 20th, 2017, 10:47 am

What kind of tunnel could this be? From the Star Tribune to Itasca Building? A tunnel left over from a former rail roundhouse that was in that area?

MattW
Rice Park

Postby MattW » December 20th, 2017, 11:32 am

relux
Metrodome

Postby relux » December 20th, 2017, 11:41 am

That's well outside of the project in question, unless I am mis-reading something? There is of course Bassetts Creek that runs near there, but not through the project site and isn't private. So assuming there is something else that is being referred to?

MattW
Rice Park

Postby MattW » December 20th, 2017, 12:20 pm

^ Referring to this pedestrian connection to to W River Road at 7th Street.
I agree that it would be nice, but highest priority? There is a pedestrian connection at 7th.

relux
Metrodome

Postby relux » December 20th, 2017, 1:05 pm

^ Referring to this pedestrian connection to to W River Road at 7th Street.
Ahh, okay. I missed a few posts. Got it.

Anondson
IDS Center

Opus North Loop Apartments on W river parkway

Postby Anondson » April 11th, 2018, 8:24 pm

25 more units being added to the proposal.

https://finance-commerce.com/2018/04/op ... ment-plan/

Seems like this is now named “River Loop Apartments”.

Blaisdell Greenway
Union Depot

Postby Blaisdell Greenway » November 16th, 2018, 12:31 pm

Jersey barriers are being placed around the site today.