Eleven - 1111 West River Parkway - 41 stories / 550'

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
Silophant

Re: Eleven (Ryan Condo Tower) - 1111 West River Parkway - 43 stories / 526'

Postby Silophant » July 24th, 2018, 8:54 am

Ryan/Arcadia is being a bit dishonest, though, acting like their plot is sandwiched between two private office buildings they have no control over. The office building on 11th is also owned by them. For now, at least they're legally the same parcel! I'm still not too worried about vehicle access to the Parkway, given how much of a speedway it currently is, but it would not be hard to have vehicle access to 11th either.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

sean
Block E

Postby sean » July 24th, 2018, 9:00 am

Why on the property tax map does this show as one large parcel with two parcel ids (2302924440021, 2302924440022)?

The parkway shouldn't have a private driveway added just because the plan for this parcel wasn't thought out ahead of time. Limos, trucks, buses and other large vehicles are supposed to pay daily use permits to use the parkways, so I don't know how this would even work for parcel delivery, transport, ect.

It is a great looking building, so I hope they find a way to go forward, just without compromising the parkway in any way.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » July 24th, 2018, 9:22 am

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » July 24th, 2018, 9:57 am

The Park Board building is hardly the only driveway off the parkway up there too.

This seems like a silly fight unless the Park Board has other concessions it's hoping to extract.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » July 24th, 2018, 12:19 pm

The Park Board building having a driveway off the barren, industrial, dead-end northern stretch of West River Parkway isn't precedent. Whatever existing issues you might have with the Park Board of West River Parkway, this is exactly the type of battle it should fight.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » July 24th, 2018, 10:09 pm

Valuable park access here.

Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » July 24th, 2018, 10:56 pm

1. Wait why does the Park Board care? The trails are on the other side of the road and wouldn’t be interrupted by the requested curb cut at all.
2. If the Eleven parcel is split off from the existing office building, its only street frontage would be on the parkway. I don’t think the Park Board can legally deny them from having a single vehicle access point. Pretty sure the law would view that as a “regulatory taking”. If West River Parkway is the only public street the parcel touches, they get a damn driveway to access said parcel

bubzki2
Foshay Tower

Postby bubzki2 » July 25th, 2018, 7:26 am

Perhaps the Board can intervene at the stage of the parcel split itself, for the reasons you have outlined?

widget_counter
Block E

Postby widget_counter » July 25th, 2018, 7:33 am

The Park Board building having a driveway off the barren, industrial, dead-end northern stretch of West River Parkway isn't precedent. Whatever existing issues you might have with the Park Board of West River Parkway, this is exactly the type of battle it should fight.
Agreed.

If you spend any time in that area, the intersection of WRP and 11th is already an absolute shit show between bikers, pedestrians, residents and tourists. Adding direct access for Eleven on to WRP just feet from that intersection, and most people probably wanting to make a left out of Eleven to said intersection, is only going to exacerbate the problem. Depending on the time of day, the intersections on 11th from WRP to Washington are already near gridlock. The most logical place for access to Eleven, in my opinion, would be to 13th via Red Cross.

What the Park Board should really do is use this opportunity to point out that by adding Eleven and Legacy without any roadway/access improvements in the area is going to create a much larger problem than a new access on WRP alone.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » July 25th, 2018, 8:04 am

It seems that the motive behind this is that the MPRB is working on closing at least parts of the downtown section of West River Parkway to car traffic, which makes everything make more sense. As it stands now, the only curb cuts onto the Parkway between 35W and Hennepin are the Stone Arch Bridge parking lot, Portland Ave, the Whitney lofts, the North Star lofts, 11th, 13th, and the Centerpoint facility. It would be perfectly feasible to close all of the Parkway to vehicle traffic except about 150' on either side of Portland to maintain access to those two condos and the parking lot, close the intersection at 11th, and prevent turns from 13th, allowing vehicles to go straight into Centerpoint's driveway. This would also solve most of the gridlock on 11th - that's mostly caused by people using the Parkway as a reliever to get around Washington, not the five or six condo and office buildings that actually need to use 11th for access.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

BBMplsMN
Nicollet Mall

Postby BBMplsMN » July 25th, 2018, 8:18 am

It seems that the motive behind this is that the MPRB is working on closing at least parts of the downtown section of West River Parkway to car traffic, which makes everything make more sense. As it stands now, the only curb cuts onto the Parkway between 35W and Hennepin are the Stone Arch Bridge parking lot, Portland Ave, the Whitney lofts, the North Star lofts, 11th, 13th, and the Centerpoint facility. It would be perfectly feasible to close all of the Parkway to vehicle traffic except about 150' on either side of Portland to maintain access to those two condos and the parking lot, close the intersection at 11th, and prevent turns from 13th, allowing vehicles to go straight into Centerpoint's driveway. This would also solve most of the gridlock on 11th - that's mostly caused by people using the Parkway as a reliever to get around Washington, not the five or six condo and office buildings that actually need to use 11th for access.
Seems like that would significantly alter the Water Works/RiverFirst projects.

Are there other examples in Minneapolis where a parkway is closed to car traffic? Is the road converted to some other use or does it remain a barren asphalt wasteland?

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » July 25th, 2018, 9:04 am

If you spend any time in that area, the intersection of WRP and 11th is already an absolute shit show between bikers, pedestrians, residents and tourists.
Rode by around 9:20 this morning. Super quiet. You mean during evening rush hour? Weekends?
Depending on the time of day, the intersections on 11th from WRP to Washington are already near gridlock.
This does not sound right but I guess I'll have to go over there on the way home.
What the Park Board should really do is use this opportunity to point out that by adding Eleven and Legacy without any roadway/access improvements in the area is going to create a much larger problem than a new access on WRP alone.
Nah. I think people really do not understand how little difference housing makes to traffic.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » July 25th, 2018, 9:28 am

Nah. I think people really do not understand how little difference housing makes to traffic.
Ding ding ding. 100 units doesn't even move the needle on traffic.

dajazz
Nicollet Mall

Postby dajazz » July 25th, 2018, 10:46 am

This does not sound right but I guess I'll have to go over there on the way home.
I was over at Izzy's last week around 3:30pm and it was complete gridlock. 11th was backed up, 2nd was at a standstill from people getting off Washington, even WRP was backed up all the way down to the stop sign past the Federal Reserve.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » July 25th, 2018, 10:52 am

Sounds like the problem is people using WRP as a shortcut between the North Loop and 35W, not actul Mill District residents or workers.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

widget_counter
Block E

Postby widget_counter » July 25th, 2018, 11:27 am

Sounds like the problem is people using WRP as a shortcut between the North Loop and 35W, not actul Mill District residents or workers.
I believe the latter part of your statement to be correct. I can't quite figure out what is happening when the gridlock scenario is occurring, but it has definitely become a more frequent occurrence the last few weeks in that 3-6pm'ish window.

WRP in general backs up to the reserve or beyond on a regular basis, particularly when the weather is nice and there is a lot of pedestrian traffic near Stone Arch Bridge.

BBMplsMN
Nicollet Mall

Postby BBMplsMN » July 25th, 2018, 4:42 pm

All the road construction has definitely changed the traffic patterns in the Mill Distrist. For what it’s worth, 2nd Street, Washington and 3rd Street are always gridlocked too during evening rush hour.

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » July 25th, 2018, 8:40 pm

I used to have a relative work where the Legacy is being constructed. We always took WRP from Plymouth to pick them up from work. People use it instead of Washington to get to NE or N and 94. Also a lot of people go south beyond 35. If you go to the stop sign at the Greenway during rush hour you'll still see a backup. I hope they work something out. I want to see this project go forward.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » July 26th, 2018, 8:58 am

It's pretty clear that they have an alternate plan that would work functionally by sharing the entrance off of 11th -- they might require an emergency only access to the parkway, but that shouldn't be a big deal. I think in the developer's mind, the issue is that when you're trying to sell a $10m condo, it seems sort of tacky to have to pull through somebody else's parking lot to get to your luxury building.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » July 26th, 2018, 9:06 am

Couldn't they put in a woonerf along the old railroad edge in the back, extend the Dinkytown Greenway, and make it a feature rather than a bug? Ryan owns two of the three parcels between the old railroad edge and W River Parkway.