Federal Reserve Riverfront Parking Ramp

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
Qhaberl
US Bank Plaza

Re: Federal Reserve Riverfront Parking Ramp

Postby Qhaberl » April 17th, 2019, 7:32 am

Don’t know anymore detail, but this sounds like a good thing. Let’s get something better built there. The least they could do is wrap the parking garage in Apartments.

Does anyone know why the heritage preservation committee is recommending denial of the permit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alexschief
Union Depot

Postby alexschief » April 17th, 2019, 7:47 am

In the report that was linked on the last page, staff explains their findings. In short, they take a dim view of the proposed design's conformance with the historic district guidelines. They object on just about every point related to the design, but some of their objections specifically apply to the project's awful proposed use. The key paragraph:
"The applicant has submitted an analysis regarding the infill building guidelines that states that the “guidelines were written to address property types other than parking ramps.” While staff recognizes that the guidelines are not easily applied to a parking structure, the guidance still applies. Per the policies above, the proposed building is not compatible with the required architectural character and detail as described by the guidelines. The building does not have a primary entrance facing the public street, nor does it incorporate traditional façade articulation techniques. While the site has unique characteristics, it does have frontage on 2nd Ave N and West River Pkwy. The proposed parking structure is set back from both streets and does not contain any active uses."
I'm glad to see city staff pushing back on the lack of active uses. I hope that if this advances to further layers of review, there will be an opportunity to talk about climate impacts.

It also appears that residents of the Renaissance on the River townhomes (which were themselves a significant land use mistake) did not get notification of this project until it was submitted, and are angry about it an mobilized en masse to submit comments. A lot of new complaints about height and shade. There are a few new, amusing letters in the back of the packet. I enjoyed the comment from one letter writer who asks whether the Fed has properly explored alternatives to building a giant ramp (thinking face emoji), and this great comment from a near neighbor who writes:
"It seems to me the current parking lot is more than adequate (I have a direct view from my kitchen window), many days it is only half full."

DTSB
City Center

Postby DTSB » April 19th, 2019, 7:30 am

Bob Stinson's Ghost wrote:
February 26th, 2019, 9:32 pm
Does Kashkari drive in from some suburb in an SUV?
According to my friend that works at the fed, the ramp is more for visitors than workers. "it's more about the need for parking for our guests when we have events...our internal data suggest that only 3-4 hundred employees will use it....not much since we have about 1000 employees total"

(Not that I agree because there is a ramp right accross the street, and and more within 3 blocks...)

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » April 20th, 2019, 7:13 pm

I parked in that ramp across the street last night for a pretty big event at Aria, tons of room, I have no idea what Eric Dayton is going on about with any kind of parking crunch in that area that a new ramp would help with.

Return to “Minneapolis - Downtown”