Target Center Renovation

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
Anondson
IDS Center

Re: Target Center Renovation

Postby Anondson » January 8th, 2016, 12:29 pm

Maybe the next Angry Birds franchise character launching to attack the misshapen pigskin stack across town?

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » January 8th, 2016, 6:16 pm

I'm not seeing the beak theme on the main entrance... and I kind of want to. :D

I like the Alternate Signage option on the last two pages. It's better integrated onto the building surface. The other option looks like a billboard that has been stuck on.

I looked at the renderings before reading the text, and initially thought they were covering it in a nice oak or teak, but that would have been too Scandinavian.
Have to agree with you. I see no beak and I prefer the alternate sign too because it looks better integrated,into the flow of the building. Also hope that the second skyway is added to the west side. Partly because it is on a different level and will help with congestion of getting people out of the building without them all leaving out the same end of the building and doors.

TroyGBiv
US Bank Plaza

Postby TroyGBiv » January 9th, 2016, 1:18 am

The beak is the top and botton of that glass pavilion - I think the whole thing ing looks like a snapping turtle.

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » January 29th, 2016, 2:52 pm

I know many of you question the delays with many projects - especially on this one. Interesting to read this article, where Rybak explains some details about the NBA and their demands. That's why patience is a virtue with regards to a project starting, etc.

Rybak details tense negotiations with NBA in new book
http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/b ... n-new.html

"Negotiations with the Minnesota Timberwolves were going smooth until a lawyer from the NBA came to town.

“He was, well, a New York Lawyer who was definitely not Minnesota Nice. He brought an unbending, sarcastic hard edge into what had been fairly smooth talks with Timberwolves reps. Now, the lawyer was making particularly outrageous demands in a meeting with Goodman, Council President Barb Johnson and me, and it was clear we weren’t going to get anywhere unless he changed his tone,” Rybak wrote.

Rybak wrote that he, Johnson, Goodman and City Attorney Susan Segal left the room and decided to unleash Goodman on the lawyer."

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » January 29th, 2016, 2:59 pm

I see the next Twin Cities' urbanism meme... "UNLEASH the Goodman!" :D

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » January 29th, 2016, 3:24 pm

That lawyer must have felt neutered after she got her claws into his Ego!! Hear she is quite feisty!!

TroyGBiv
US Bank Plaza

Postby TroyGBiv » January 30th, 2016, 12:43 am

Release the Kraken!

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » February 29th, 2016, 2:31 pm

Target Center renovation nears final approval; new images released
http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/n ... l-new.html

New Images: http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/n ... ew.html#g1

The city, Minnesota Timberwolves and AEG had already reached an agreement on price. The upcoming city actions will finalize the deal and allow work to begin this summer, starting with a new scoreboard and renovated suites.

The guaranteed maximum price is $102.8 million and includes a $4.4 million contingency and a $2.5 million contractor fee. The total project budget is $129 million, with the city paying $74 million, the Wolves/Lynx paying $49 million and arena operator AEG paying $5.9 million. ...

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » February 29th, 2016, 4:58 pm

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » February 29th, 2016, 5:00 pm

Making a sow's ear out of a sow's ear.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » February 29th, 2016, 8:26 pm

Target Center, the Country Squire Edition!! Cool!!

acs
Wells Fargo Center

Postby acs » February 29th, 2016, 9:13 pm

Timberwolves Chief Marketing Officer Ted Johnson sounded optimistic about squeezing one or both of those improvements into the project.
“Construction costs are trending down, and that works in our favor,” he said. “We have also gotten aggressive pricing from (seat) manufacturers.”
What world does this guy live in?

TroyGBiv
US Bank Plaza

Postby TroyGBiv » February 29th, 2016, 11:27 pm

O mah gah...

jw138
Union Depot

Postby jw138 » March 1st, 2016, 8:52 am

Looks ugly and out of place if you ask me.

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » March 1st, 2016, 11:21 am

I think it's going to be an awesome upgrade to an old building that is UAF today. It certainly isn't as beautiful as a shiny new, more glassy, arena would be. But it certainly is a prudent way to maintain an old building for many more years. I love how the panels look from Target Field, and how this will look next to the updated MC squared facade.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » March 1st, 2016, 11:31 am

EXACTLY what I was thinking.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » March 1st, 2016, 11:37 am

The guaranteed maximum price is $102.8 million and includes a $4.4 million contingency
A 4.2% contingency? That seems extremely low.

BigIdeasGuy
Union Depot

Postby BigIdeasGuy » March 1st, 2016, 12:06 pm

It will never be anything but honestly. The worse part is we are going to be right back in this same position in another 10-15 years. I would've been cheaper to do it right this time then to cut corners left and right.

nordeast homer
US Bank Plaza

Postby nordeast homer » March 1st, 2016, 12:33 pm

It will never be anything but honestly. The worse part is we are going to be right back in this same position in another 10-15 years. I would've been cheaper to do it right this time then to cut corners left and right.
I would think they would even admit that, but where would the money come from? They were given a relatively small budget for the project. The money didn't cover half of what they really wanted to do with the project. Frankly, I'm surprised they were able to squeeze as much as they were out of the budget.

KML_1981
Nicollet Mall

Postby KML_1981 » March 1st, 2016, 2:16 pm

This looks a lot better. Will have to see how the final result turns out, but definitely has the potential to beautify a truly horrible looking building.

It should create a move lively and inviting pedestrian experience from Target Field and the Ramps to the rest of downtown. Get more of those baseball fans into the city after the game lets out.