Target Center Renovation

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
VAStationDude
US Bank Plaza

Re: Target Center Renovation

Postby VAStationDude » February 5th, 2014, 4:27 pm

The club certainly isn't new but it's much less dingy and dirty than any la fitness or ywca I've been in. I think there were a couple high profile public sex incidents fifteen years ago. I personally never witnessed any thing of that sort in hundreds of visits over the last eight years.

Jfuss
Metrodome

Postby Jfuss » February 5th, 2014, 8:33 pm

The Target Center Renovation: Settling For Silver...http://tcbmag.com/Industries/Real-Estat ... For-Silver

As more information comes out about this project, it seems as though it is going to be a major disappointment. It does not leave a good taste when your chief marketing officer says, “We didn’t necessarily need the gold-plated version."

From the article...
Remember 2011, when the City of Minneapolis and the Minnesota Timberwolves floated plans for a $155 million Target Center renovation that was eventually authorized as part of the Vikings stadium legislation?

In October, when the city, team and arena manager AEG finally settled on a plan, the proposed price tag had shrunk to $97 million. But construction costs are rising, not declining. City and team officials downplay the reduction, saying they “sharpened their pencils” to cut a whopping 37 percent. Wish lists were excised and more may still be eliminated, raising the question of how well the improvements will meet the needs of a facility that is acknowledged to be out of date and uncompetitive.

Chauncey87
Nicollet Mall

Postby Chauncey87 » February 5th, 2014, 9:07 pm

I don't have much to say except what a bummer. I knew this would happen once I read about chopping the budget down by a significant amount. If they only redo the lower section of siding and leave the top alone I wonder how much more of a muffin top this building will look like once all is said and done. I do like muffins however so when ever I walk by I hope a fresh muffin stand is close by so I can muffin up next to the muffin arena. :)
Last edited by Chauncey87 on February 5th, 2014, 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

writruth
Nicollet Mall

Postby writruth » February 5th, 2014, 9:50 pm

Here we go again. When the $150 million plan was unveiled two years ago, it was already pitched as the "cheap" aka "silver-plated," alternative to demolition of Target Center and rebuilding from the ground up. Now, with $50 million cleaved from that already budget conscious scenario, sadly, the signature cantilevered roof has been axed along with the exterior amenities that make the place look special.

Seems to me, if Minneapolis, indeed, wants to be considered a "world-class" city with world-class standards and attractions, we must invest in "gold-plated" upgrades, especially since it'll be another 30 years before the next major renovations will be approved. Denver, Seattle, Indianapolis, Kansas City, San Antonio are our direct competitors for major events. They have all made major improvements in their sports industry infrastructure or very soon will.

One would think we would be wary by now of the same, on-the-cheap, group-think, that 30 years ago, had the geniuses scrambling to retrofit the Metrodome with air conditioning, after it's first year of operation. The great savings that was to be had by leaving AC out of the initial "gold-plated" design, failed to anticipate the number of attendees during that first season who would pass out from heat stroke in June, July and August without the air conditioning systems.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » February 5th, 2014, 10:45 pm

Actually the Xcel Energy Center 10 miles away is our direct competitor for major events. Maybe it's time they just knock this down and let St. Paul win this one, at least for the next 20 years.

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » February 5th, 2014, 10:54 pm

But xcel has that zamboni sewer facing roy wilkens. I'm none too pleased about that. Neither is Roy.

And this "silver-plated" quote is from last year. We already knew costs were being cut. But yeah, I'm pretty pissed the luxury boxes might not have the same sound proofed walls they might have had -- just like you are.
Towns!

uptowncarag

Postby uptowncarag » February 5th, 2014, 11:04 pm

Here we go again. When the $150 million plan was unveiled two years ago, it was already pitched as the "cheap" aka "silver-plated," alternative to demolition of Target Center and rebuilding from the ground up. Now, with $50 million cleaved from that already budget conscious scenario, sadly, the signature cantilevered roof has been axed along with the exterior amenities that make the place look special.

Seems to me, if Minneapolis, indeed, wants to be considered a "world-class" city with world-class standards and attractions, we must invest in "gold-plated" upgrades, especially since it'll be another 30 years before the next major renovations will be approved. Denver, Seattle, Indianapolis, Kansas City, San Antonio are our direct competitors for major events. They have all made major improvements in their sports industry infrastructure or very soon will.

One would think we would be wary by now of the same, on-the-cheap, group-think, that 30 years ago, had the geniuses scrambling to retrofit the Metrodome with air conditioning, after it's first year of operation. The great savings that was to be had by leaving AC out of the initial "gold-plated" design, failed to anticipate the number of attendees during that first season who would pass out from heat stroke in June, July and August without the air conditioning systems.
If we are competing with Kansas City we might as well jump off the bridge right now. That city is a dump. Not as bad as Detroit but it is getting there.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » February 5th, 2014, 11:05 pm

Chauncey87
Nicollet Mall

Postby Chauncey87 » February 6th, 2014, 12:40 am

I always thought the Target Center would look better with spring patio doors. Would make for a more cabin on the lake feel. :lol:
With all the rebate savings maybe they could bring back some of the more striking features that had to be cut.

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » February 6th, 2014, 7:09 am

why are people still bitching about this. this and the laughable discussions of really tall buildings in dt mpls are eye roll inducing.

it's 100 million dollars...that's a lot of zeros and public money btw. it will be just fine. calm down.

NickP
Target Field

Postby NickP » February 6th, 2014, 8:56 am

I'm going to side with Mullen on this. I would argue AEG, the Lynx/Wolves and the city are only responding to what so many citizens said about the new Viking's stadium being so expensive. It seems like a no-win situation for the developers. I empathize with worry that people now have that this is will be done on the cheap, but lets see the renderings. We are Minnesotans dammit! We desire reasonable, not gaudy! lol I may stand corrected on all of this. :)

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » February 6th, 2014, 10:24 am

I look at what has happened in the near past, Twins decided to spend the extra money to make the stadium one of the crown jewels of baseball stadiums, the owners of the Wild did the same in St. Paul with the Excel Arena, I believe that the Wilfs will end up chipping in more for amenities for the Viking's stadium as their ego will not want them to look like they are cheap and too poor to do a great stadium. Hard to impress a future investor if your stadium shows that you are willing to take cheap shortcuts which would decrease any future value on a project. IMO I don't believe that Glenn Taylor will want to be considered a cheapskate if the budget does not stretch far enough. After all that does affect the overall value of the Wolves if they come up for sale. Low quality arena, will mean a lower bid for the team in investors eyes. IMHO

Which owner want to have the distinction of being the cheapest owner in town. They all have egos and that is why they own sports teams!

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » February 6th, 2014, 10:45 am

Excel Arena
You've done this a ton of times which is why I'm bothering to correct you, It's Xcel not Excel. And it's the Xcel Energy Center not Arena.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » February 6th, 2014, 10:48 am

Excel Arena
You've done this a ton of times which is why I'm bothering to correct you, It's Xcel not Excel. And it's the Xcel Energy Center not Arena.
Forgive my bad finger as the x and c are next to each other!

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » February 6th, 2014, 11:23 am

As Tyler said, this is old news. The silver-plated specifics of what they are doing have already been released somewhere.

at40man
Rice Park

Postby at40man » February 6th, 2014, 1:24 pm

What on earth are you talking about? I went to that place for years and never saw anything that could be described as "unscrupulous". It is a good facility, the lockers are old, but everything seemed to good shape otherwise.
I haven't witnessed said activities myself... the signs reminding me of "proper attire and behavior" in the locker room coupled with the long-term closure of the men's locker room hottub tell me all I need to know -- along with a couple members. :shock: :shock: :shock:

I hope they up the standards, but not necessarily the "level" of the club. It is probably a good idea that they have one Gold (affordable) and one Diamond (ritzy) club downtown.

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » February 25th, 2014, 11:40 am

Ugh they don't even have an architect yet:
http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/b ... itect.html

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » February 25th, 2014, 12:08 pm

Hah. Lifetime and affordable in the same sentence.

Jfuss
Metrodome

Postby Jfuss » April 13th, 2014, 9:17 pm

From The Business Journal...

Nine groups responded to the city of Minneapolis' request for proposals for architecture and engineering services in the $97 million renovation of Target Center. The selection of a winner firm is slated for early May. The city also recently issued an RFP for a construction manager for the Target Center renovation project.

1. HKS Sports and Entertainment
2. Populous, partnering with Hammel Green and Abrahamson Inc. (HGA)
3. AECOM
4. Rossetti
5. DLR Group, partnering with Gensler
6. Leo A. Daly, partnering with Generator Studio
7. RSP Architects, partnering with 360 Architecture
8. Architectural Alliance, partnering with Sink Combs Dethlefs
9. Stadium Consultants International and BBB Architects

The story has information about what projects these firms have worked on and where they are based. http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/b ... l?page=all

timdski
Block E

Postby timdski » May 2nd, 2014, 11:46 am

Architectural Alliance, partnered with Sink Combs Dethlefs, were chosen to design the renovation.