Target Field Station (the Hotel) & Target Field Station (the Station)

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Re: The Interchange (At Target Field)

Postby seanrichardryan » February 23rd, 2013, 1:37 am

^^^ that. I didn't even quote em.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » February 28th, 2013, 12:03 pm

It looks like the HERC facilities will be expanded in conjunction with The Interchange construction. Site plans, scheduled for approval by the MPC:
http://www.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/www/gro ... 104811.pdf

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » February 28th, 2013, 12:10 pm

I thought the HERC permit request was to allow use up to the existing maximum capacity, not expansion of the facility.

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » February 28th, 2013, 12:13 pm

According to their report, increasing capacity requires a 32K foot addition. It sounds like it will also house snow melting equipment for The Interchange's plaza.

web

Postby web » February 28th, 2013, 12:30 pm

well 2 parking lots were removed from the herc for the interchange etc......consolodating things

LRV Op Dude
Union Depot

Postby LRV Op Dude » March 11th, 2013, 7:00 pm

Here is a link to my blog with video of the presentation to the Transportation Committee on Monday, February 25 There are some updated renderings and the proposed site location of the new Metro Transit Police station.

What do you think about the MTPD station going next to the Interchange?
Blog: Old-Twin Cities Transit New-Twin Cities Transit

You Tube: Old, New

AKA: Bus Driver Dude

dingo
Metrodome

Postby dingo » March 11th, 2013, 7:08 pm

Im ok with having the MTPD in that location but not at the expense of a lane of traffic. Are they really going to turn 5th St into a one way permanently? It is now during construction and as someone has already stated it is a MESS around the holiday gas station.

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » March 11th, 2013, 7:18 pm

The site where they're placing the MTPD station was originally going to be for outside development- namely, a hotel. I hope this doesn't mean a new building on that site is out of the question.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » March 11th, 2013, 7:21 pm

How many stations does MTPD have? Would this be replacing an existing station or be an additional station?

I know they've got a place in Minneapolis on Minnehaha between Franklin and Lake, are there others?

LRV Op Dude
Union Depot

Postby LRV Op Dude » March 11th, 2013, 7:32 pm

How many stations does MTPD have? Would this be replacing an existing station or be an additional station?

I know they've got a place in Minneapolis on Minnehaha between Franklin and Lake, are there others?

It is my understanding that this is a replacment.
Blog: Old-Twin Cities Transit New-Twin Cities Transit

You Tube: Old, New

AKA: Bus Driver Dude

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » March 13th, 2013, 1:33 pm

Well there's this:

Metropolitan Transit Police Headquarters
2425 Minnehaha Avenue South, Minneapolis, MN 55404
Administrative offices, squad car garage and a holding cell.
Constructed in 1972, renovated in 1994.

and this

There are approximately 68 full-time officers, 45 part-time officers, four community service officers and five administrative staff

Could all of that be accomodated in the new facility? That's a lot of squad cars to store on-site, although I suppose they can use excess parking capacity at Heywood Garage across the street. I understand the desire to locate near Heywood to 1. have greater access to the source of transit vehicles (thereby relying on squad cars less frequently) and 2. better integration with other Metro departments and senior staff. Having the transit police located at Heywood/Interchange would benefit the transit system, in theory (provided that they get out of their effing cars and do their actual jobs)

It would be a real shame though to eliminate the possibilty of getting private market development on that corner though. That was part of HCCRA's excuse for paying the freight on this project, that future revenues (from parking and land sale/lease) would mitigate the expense to taxpayers.

Going back like 50 posts, this is one reason why I simply said "LOL" to the initial announcement of MTPD's interest in the site. The other big reason is that it is INSANE that they would decide this after the damn thing has been under construction for 6 months. Can we not plan ahead and coordinate ANYTHING between various levels of government? Silly me, I thought that was the explicit purpose of the Met Council.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » March 13th, 2013, 2:19 pm

...what about the retail spot at Nicollet and 7th? Then they wouldn't have to keep two squad cars there all day!

I'm kidding...barely.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

Andrew_F
Rice Park

Postby Andrew_F » March 13th, 2013, 2:42 pm

I don't know a lot about the transit cops and their funding situation, but if they really do actually need a new HQ, the Interchange is certainly the best place for it. Hopefully it will help them save a good chunk of money in logistics and such. Too bad that station couldn't have been built into/under the plaza, replacing the stupid parking garage and retaining the surface site for future high/mid-rise development.

beykite
Nicollet Mall

Postby beykite » March 13th, 2013, 9:55 pm

Don't get too discouraged. Maybe the new MTPD headquarters will be a high-rise???? :?

mulad

Postby mulad » March 13th, 2013, 10:39 pm

Those squad cars could probably fit into the Interchange's own 250 parking spaces pretty well, especially if the demand for squads gets reduced with officers being able to walk right onto trains.

But yeah, it does seem like a tight fit, especially since the police force will likely grow as the LRT network expands and proof-of-payment expands to aBRT routes.

talindsay
Wells Fargo Center

Postby talindsay » March 14th, 2013, 1:48 pm

There are approximately 68 full-time officers, 45 part-time officers, four community service officers and five administrative staff
Sorry this is off-topic, but how are there "approximately 68 full-time officers"? That's a very precise number. There could be approximately 70, but if the number is 68 it's either precise or artificially-precise; it's not approximate.

On topic, I think it makes a lot of sense for MTPD to be at the Interchange, and a clear police presence right there could be good for a lot of other reasons too. It would be nice if they didn't take a relatively good plot of buildable land, however.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » March 16th, 2013, 5:00 pm

IMG_2921 by UrbanMSP, on Flickr
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

mulad

Postby mulad » March 16th, 2013, 5:09 pm

The most recent newsletter says that bridge beams will start being delivered on March 20th (Wednesday). They'll be delivered overnight between 7pm and 3am

http://content.govdelivery.com/bulletin ... NNE-7121a8

Also, here's a page with links to their periodic newsletters

http://www.theinterchange.net/index.php ... Itemid=243

minnyapple
Nicollet Mall

Postby minnyapple » March 26th, 2013, 11:02 am

I tied to upload a webcam screen shot of the new beams being set in place but didn't work so here is the link again. Angle 3. http://oxblue.com/open/knutson/interchange

Also on camera 1 the new administration building is coming together.

Le Sueur
Landmark Center

Postby Le Sueur » April 2nd, 2013, 5:34 pm

In case you missed it. :)