Target Field Station (the Hotel) & Target Field Station (the Station)

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
Jfuss
Metrodome

Re: Target Field Station (née The Interchange)

Postby Jfuss » March 7th, 2014, 7:04 am

Nice construction photo set from February 2014...http://www.ballparkauthority.com/Target ... _2014.html

tabletop
Nicollet Mall

Postby tabletop » March 8th, 2014, 8:10 am

Does anyone know if they're going to leave the roof open like that, or will it be enclosed? Based on the renderings it would appear that it's going to be open from above, but that logic just doesn't compute for me.

jet777
Nicollet Mall

Postby jet777 » March 8th, 2014, 8:22 am

Early renderings showed panels between the canopy slats, but looking closely the other day this appears not to be the case- also there are individual bus-like shelters under the canopy. So I guess the lighted canopy slats are essentially one really big and expensive piece of public art.

talindsay
Wells Fargo Center

Postby talindsay » March 8th, 2014, 9:04 am

Like the stupid lake street station that has all the structure present to block the elements but idiotically doesn't do so. I don't understand this oddly common design choice here - make it expensive and heavy to imply shelter but don't actually provide any.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » March 8th, 2014, 9:26 am

It's just a big sun screen? W T F
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » March 8th, 2014, 10:05 am

Remember all the images of historic train depots? Enclosed.

Ah well. Maybe in 30 years this could be a project for some starchitect to leave us with a memorable landmark even tourists come to look at.

Tcmetro
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Tcmetro » March 8th, 2014, 10:18 am

This is just a light-rail station masqueraded as something necessary for a future train (Amtrak/Commuter/HSR) station; it's actually an $80 million capacity project for Twins games.

talindsay
Wells Fargo Center

Postby talindsay » March 8th, 2014, 11:00 am

This is just a light-rail station masqueraded as something necessary for a future train (Amtrak/Commuter/HSR) station; it's actually an $80 million capacity project for Twins games.
I think most of us have come to terms with that. But "just a light rail station" with a huge awning should at least block the rain.

ECtransplant
US Bank Plaza

Postby ECtransplant » March 8th, 2014, 12:04 pm

So does this mean the ridiculous comparisons to Grand Central can stop?

tabletop
Nicollet Mall

Postby tabletop » March 8th, 2014, 5:59 pm

I think most of us have come to terms with that. But "just a light rail station" with a huge awning should at least block the rain.
I agree. From a riders standpoint and as a tax payer, I would've rather spent the money on proper shelter from the rain than on fancy lighting

jet777
Nicollet Mall

Postby jet777 » March 9th, 2014, 6:27 am

One would think that logic makes sense in a climate that saw nearly 60 consecutive days of negative temperatures. Pretty sure grand central station is warm inside.

MSPtoMKE
Rice Park

Postby MSPtoMKE » March 10th, 2014, 11:48 pm

I agree that having enclosed and covered space on the platform is important, but I don't think having the curved structure being a full canopy would really provide much additional shelter. It is too tall to provide shelter from the wind, and there are smaller shelters on the platform. It is there to look pretty, which some might argue is not worth it. I like it, personally.

Anyways here is an update on construction from Monday's Met Council Transportation Committee meeting.

http://metrocouncil.org/Council-Meeting ... ange).aspx

They are aiming to have Blue Line trains begin using the tracks to turn around by the first week of April, with Green Line testing starting about 2 weeks after that.

Also, it looks like this thing will really be able to glow at night.
My flickr photos.

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » March 11th, 2014, 8:10 am

Also, this got posted on the web site:
March 10, 2014 Beginning today there will be Light Rail Vehicles traveling through the pedestrian crossing at Target Field Station onto the Interchange tracks for integrated testing procedures until the system goes live. Pedestrians should be cautious when crossing the tracks at Target Field as there will be operating LRT trains crossing this area occasionally. Flaggers from Metro Transit and Knutson will be present at this location to assist with safety measures.
Keep an eye on those webcams!
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

minnyapple
Nicollet Mall

Postby minnyapple » March 11th, 2014, 12:38 pm

Thanks for the heads up mister.shoes

Heres a pic of the train passing though Target Field station from the webcam earlier today. https://www.flickr.com/photos/120063955 ... /lightbox/

LRV Op Dude
Union Depot

Postby LRV Op Dude » March 15th, 2014, 5:09 am

Last edited by LRV Op Dude on March 31st, 2014, 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blog: Old-Twin Cities Transit New-Twin Cities Transit

You Tube: Old, New

AKA: Bus Driver Dude

Tcmetro
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Tcmetro » March 15th, 2014, 8:39 am

Thanks for posting that video! It looks like the station is pretty much complete. It's also interesting to note that the shelters and lighting used look to be of the new modular design that is present on the Green Line.

minnyapple
Nicollet Mall

Postby minnyapple » March 22nd, 2014, 9:09 pm

From Kare 11. The huge video board was just installed today. http://www.kare11.com/story/news/featur ... b/6745503/
"We're looking at any and all opportunities to activate this and make it a destination all by itself," said Ed Hunter, Hennepin County Project Manager for Target Field Station.

A giant eight-panel video board was installed on top of the elevator core on Saturday. Hunter said the Twins will use it as people come to baseball games at Target Field.

But when there isn't a game, "You could have movie nights at Target Field Station, street fair, art fairs, taste of Minneapolis," he said.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » March 22nd, 2014, 9:49 pm

Gross. LED video boards are the downfall of civilization.

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » March 23rd, 2014, 9:28 am

It bothers me when they talk about TFS being where the Blue and Green lines meet. They meet over at the Downtown East/Metrodome station. If someone was transferring from one line to the other, they should do it at the East end... save the back and forth through downtown.

I assume the east station will be spruced up with the DTE $2 Billion investments.

This TFS will help this corner of TF a ton! It will rival Target Plaza as the best public space around this area.

Tcmetro
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Tcmetro » March 23rd, 2014, 9:49 am

Metro Transit PD will not have an office at Target Field Station.

http://www.startribune.com/local/minnea ... 69141.html