Target Field Station (the Hotel) & Target Field Station (the Station)

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
mulad

Re: Target Field Station

Postby mulad » June 20th, 2014, 1:45 pm

Ugh.

Honestly, I suspect a lot of folks who talked of the expanded Target Field station as Grand Central were partly believing or remembering concepts they've seen of what the rail station in the trench might be like. Still hardly Grand Central, but at least a proper intercity station. Of course, considering that Hines(?) wants to develop next to and maybe on top of the station area, we might end up with something more like Penn Station with folks tucked seemingly underground as they get on their trains to elsewhere.

Not Grand Central, but better than Penn Station.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » June 20th, 2014, 1:48 pm

Ugh.

Honestly, I suspect a lot of folks who talked of the expanded Target Field station as Grand Central were partly believing or remembering concepts they've seen of what the rail station in the trench might be like. Still hardly Grand Central, but at least a proper intercity station. Of course, considering that Hines(?) wants to develop next to and maybe on top of the station area, we might end up with something more like Penn Station with folks tucked seemingly underground as they get on their trains to elsewhere.

I don't remember the trench concept, where/when is that from?

IllogicalJake
Target Field

Postby IllogicalJake » June 20th, 2014, 1:51 pm

Can we stop taking old, over-eager quotes out of context and bringing it up every 3 posts yet?
Old, over eager, and out of context? The headline in the city's paper of record 9 months ago: Transit station will be like NYC's Grand Central Terminal

http://m.startribune.com/?id=223399161
I'm still not seeing the point...? How does bringing this up constantly, something everyone already knows about and has moved on from, contributes to this discussion at all?
i talk too much. web dev, downtown. admin @ tower.ly

ECtransplant
US Bank Plaza

Postby ECtransplant » June 20th, 2014, 2:47 pm

Because there's a cognitive dissonance when the city/region compares this to Grand Central on one hand and then accepts a whole lot of mediocrity in the design of the station on the other

jet777
Nicollet Mall

Postby jet777 » June 21st, 2014, 8:33 am

Forgetting about any comparisons, the entire point is that for what it actually IS, most people here agree it looks nice- but from someone who has used it several times it was poorly planned and executed in terms of function.

Another example- why can't you get from the sheltered area below via the elevator into the train platform without going back outside and further down the tracks? Not great for pushing a friend in a wheelchair in the rain. A lot of seemingly simple things that make you scratch your head.

mulad

Postby mulad » June 29th, 2014, 10:03 am

I had seen some Go-To readers in strange places when I first visited the new area, but didn't notice these signs until this past Friday, when they had them lit to have Blue Line riders line up on the eastern edge of the new plaza, and Green Line passengers over on the west side. While the west-end queuing area is obviously leading to the new platforms, the east-end one could probably let people go to either the old or new platforms, depending on how they set up their crowd control fencing or whatever.

IMAG0229 by Mulad, on Flickr

IMAG0230 by Mulad, on Flickr

mulad

Postby mulad » June 29th, 2014, 10:16 am

Ugh.

I don't remember the trench concept, where/when is that from?
...and just to answer this dangling question -- there was at least one rendering of a big glass box that would go on the north side of 5th Street, above the existing Northstar platform. The ticketing and waiting room area would probably be up about at 5th Street's level, with stairs/escalators/elevators going down to the platforms below. I think it was brought up on the old Minnescraper site, but I can't find any images of it now. I remember complaining about the fact that it was a big glass box, figuring that it would be a nightmare to keep cool in the summer and would probably sprout a ton of leaks in the future. But if they were confident that it could be designed well, then it would make for a nice airy space.

However, I think Hines also tossed around some renderings of using air rights for a building on the site, which would unfortunately make the experience much more like Penn Station in New York, where everything is squished underneath a bigger structure -- but even then, if it was designed well, it might be fine.

HuskyGrad
Union Depot

Postby HuskyGrad » June 29th, 2014, 4:54 pm

It should be a priority to come up with a connection between TFS and the Cedar Lake Trail.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LRV Op Dude
Union Depot

Postby LRV Op Dude » June 30th, 2014, 6:09 pm

Blog: Old-Twin Cities Transit New-Twin Cities Transit

You Tube: Old, New

AKA: Bus Driver Dude

HuskyGrad
Union Depot

Postby HuskyGrad » June 30th, 2014, 6:35 pm

This is the type of the programming that will give it a chance at being an active, livable space.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

emcee squared
Metrodome

Postby emcee squared » June 30th, 2014, 7:27 pm

Cool.

I'll be day-drinking to support Team USA and will definitely try to check out what's happening around TFS.

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » July 2nd, 2014, 5:13 pm

The caribou coffee shop is open

kirby96
Union Depot

Postby kirby96 » July 5th, 2014, 4:18 pm

Ok, I've followed this thread, so apologies, but can someone give a succinct for dummies version of why we built 'Target Field Station' when I observed it not even used when leaving Target Field today? No snark intended. I just don't get it. Is there a grander long range plan?

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » July 5th, 2014, 4:57 pm

There are a few reasons that they built TFS. Due to the large number of people coming out of games and going to two different lines they wanted 2 stations as they will have more time to get people onto the correct trains. Not sure what they can do at the Viking Stadium for the same problem. This site allowed for some distinct parking when game days are not in sure. This is a long term project that will play out as development progresses to the west and north of the area. This can also be thought of as a park or open space. They can do small concerts, they did the Soccer games on the big screen in the area for people who wanted to watch it, They could do some small flee markets, or Christmas Markets, provides a plaza similair to the opposite side of the stadium for ballgames in the future when there maybe more people parking and coming from the west. I when thru the plaza today on my way to and from the ball game when I parked over in the NL near Fulton Brewery. Once the Marrow building is built, the 600 gets completed, and United decides what to build across from the Holiday station on that open space, it will feel more like a part of the neighborhood. Due to the interrupted development pattern so far in that area it can feel quite disjointed when walking west of the stadium and south of the viaduct. Give 3-5 years and we will see how it is knitted into the area and how often it is used and for what.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » July 5th, 2014, 6:25 pm

It also has the advantage, in general, of having a clearer relationship with the neighborhood to the east, making it a little more tempting for North Loop residents.

nBode
Union Depot

Postby nBode » July 6th, 2014, 12:26 am

It will also be the point where the Bottineau and Southwest lines will come together in the future. And I think there might be plans to better connect the Northstar platform and the Ceder Lake bike trail…?

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » July 6th, 2014, 11:44 am

Not sure what they can do at the Viking Stadium for the same problem.
::grabs dead horse, starts beating::

Swap the LRT tracks and 4th St and add a platform across from the intersection of 4th and Norm McGrew Pl. 99% of the people getting on or off at that point would be there for Vikings games. The entire north side of the stadium up to the tracks could be a pedestrian zone.
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

nBode
Union Depot

Postby nBode » July 6th, 2014, 5:09 pm

Swap the LRT tracks and 4th St and add a platform across from the intersection of 4th and Norm McGrew Pl. 99% of the people getting on or off at that point would be there for Vikings games. The entire north side of the stadium up to the tracks could be a pedestrian zone.
Wow this makes so much sense. It would also be used by anyone switching lines. Is there actually a plan to add a platform at this end?

Ottergoose
Metrodome

Postby Ottergoose » September 5th, 2014, 1:17 pm

I spent a couple of hours there last night taking photos; see the whole set here; or skip to my favorite which is linked/previewed below:

It's an insanely cool place to take pictures at night; if you're into photography and have an ultra-wide lens it's impossible to have a bad time. Also not bad if you're into watching trains and/or the Twins; was neat to have the broadcast from Fox Sports getting piped onto the big TV.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » September 5th, 2014, 1:45 pm

I'll have to check that out. I'm trying to get back into photography (or just plain into it I guess) so I've been taking a few night rides to take some pictures from the bridges over Hiawatha Ave, but I'll have to grab my wide lens and head down that way some time.