Target Field Station (the Hotel) & Target Field Station (the Station)

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
MumfordMoses
City Center

Re: The Interchange (At Target Field)

Postby MumfordMoses » October 5th, 2012, 10:08 am

There are no more plans for LRT. After Southwest and Bottineau get built, that's it. If the lines aren't on a Met Council map by now they aren't happening for a long time. We will actually just have 2 light rail lines in the Twin Cities, since Southwest is an extension of the Green Line (Central Corridor) and Bottineau is an extension of the Blue Line (Hiawatha).

So yeah, 2 light rail lines and a commuter line. That's about all that will be going on at The Interchange in the immediate and near future. There's some space being provided for private coach buses, of all things. And you are correct, there are no provisions for BRT at the Interchange, which is probably a mistake. You could have all sorts of BRT lines running over the North/Northwest metro and terminate/force transfer at The Interchange to save service hours by not running into the core of downtown. Slight inconvenience for customers, but saves the transit agency money.

The first few BRT lines that will actually get built don't really matter with regards to the Interchange. The Red Line is way down in the southern burbs. I think everyone assumes that the Orange Line will use the Marq2 corridor. Connections to the LRT lines would occur at Nicollet Mall Station.

My biggest questions are regarding operations:

Will all trains stop at the Interchange AND Target Field Station all the time? OR
Will Target Field become a game-day only station? OR
Will one station be designated for Blue Line and the other for Green Line? OR
Something else I haven't thought of yet?
Yesterday I got in my car and drove from Uptown Station to Block E, around 8 pm - did the round trip 3x. No way a Rapid Bus could match my efficiency, ever. In six trips, the fastest I got from Uptown Station to Block E was 9 minutes. One trip took nearly 12 minutes. In traffic or weekend bar hopping, this time would go up at least 4-5 minutes. A Rapid Bus along the same route would include at least a half dozen stops. I also drove Chicago from North Central Bible College to 46th. Rapid Bus can work, but the improvement won't be much unless less cars are on the road, not a trend I currently observe. Furthermore, to your credit my drive was a mere snapshot of the proposed system, but I did choose major arteries. To be quite honest with you, Rapid Buses may not go far enough & what I misunderstood, initially, Rapid Bus = BRT, perhaps Metro Transit should put the hammer down and go with BRT along parts of Hennepin.

Chicago has added some serious business density the past couple of years with all the hospital expansions & Midtown Exchange. Hennepin is just flat out busy with cars & it narrows in many sections - the redesign from Lunds to the edge of downtown is awkward in places, some poorly placed & narrow lane dividers.

Anyways, I do like much of the Rapid Bus proposal - but they truly need to demonstrate some improved commute times over month long period, at least, before going on some construction binge with new stations & redesigned buses.

LRV Op Dude
Union Depot

Postby LRV Op Dude » October 5th, 2012, 10:24 am

My biggest questions are regarding operations:

Will all trains stop at the Interchange AND Target Field Station all the time? OR
Will Target Field become a game-day only station? OR
Will one station be designated for Blue Line and the other for Green Line? OR
Something else I haven't thought of yet?
I guess we will have to wait and see how they do that.
Blog: Old-Twin Cities Transit New-Twin Cities Transit

You Tube: Old, New

AKA: Bus Driver Dude

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » October 5th, 2012, 12:51 pm

What would the logic be behind keeping the Target Field station?

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » October 5th, 2012, 3:34 pm

The only reason I can think of is to have separate platforms for Blue and Green Line passenger queuing for Target Field events.

writruth
Nicollet Mall

Postby writruth » October 5th, 2012, 8:50 pm

Yes. I read a few months ago, both platforms would be used for riders - those boarding trains bound for The U and St. Paul and those boarding trains for Hiawatha Line routes i.e. The V.A. parking and Mall of America. By maintaining two lines, game attendees would likely find shorter waits.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » October 7th, 2012, 10:14 am

Lots 'o big diggin' going on over here.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » October 7th, 2012, 11:49 pm

I will try to remember to take pictures of this site at least every other week, seeing as I walk by it 2-3x/week.

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » October 23rd, 2012, 3:34 pm

According to their website, work on The Interchange is ahead of schedule, and pile driving will begin on Monday!

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » October 24th, 2012, 8:46 pm

There's a webcam of the action (3 actually) so I think I'm off the hook on my promised regular photo updates.

I have a strange desire to go hold up an UrbanMSP sign in front of one of the cameras.

http://oxblue.com/open/knutson/interchange

gahwi003
Metrodome

Postby gahwi003 » October 31st, 2012, 9:51 am

Looks like a crane of some sort, or a crane that makes a crane went up yesterday? Anyone wana comment on what they are exactly doing?

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » October 31st, 2012, 1:20 pm

I get email updates, priorities right now are re-aligning the streets and getting the (parking)structure started. (the plaza will be on top of parking and maybe some retail space)

helsinki
Landmark Center

Postby helsinki » October 31st, 2012, 5:02 pm

I get email updates, priorities right now are re-aligning the streets and getting the (parking)structure started. (the plaza will be on top of parking and maybe some retail space)
Parking.

What is the phrase ... Two steps forward and ... how many steps back?

Andrew_F
Rice Park

Postby Andrew_F » October 31st, 2012, 9:48 pm

^No kidding, especially with the huge ABC ramps right there...

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » November 1st, 2012, 7:01 am

It's a small amount of parking that actually creates the change in elevation so that the plaza is on grade with target field... And I believe it is meant to be replacement parking for the HERC because the interchange is taking all of its parking. I can't imaging that this small ramp is many steps backwards from a big empty surface parking lot... sorry.

MotorCity2TwinCities
Nicollet Mall

Postby MotorCity2TwinCities » November 1st, 2012, 9:16 am

Not sure if this has been mentioned already but the Twins are in talks with Hennepin County to develop a $79 million year-round entertainment plaza adjacent to the Interchange. LInk below.

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_218 ... ment-plaza

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » November 1st, 2012, 9:28 am

Good find. To me, the most interesting part would definitely be the possibility of United getting to develop the parcel that's shown as a hotel in the renderings ASAP.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » November 1st, 2012, 12:06 pm

Good find. To me, the most interesting part would definitely be the possibility of United getting to develop the parcel that's shown as a hotel in the renderings ASAP.
I feel like the market for even speculative hotels is really getting soft. Between all of the upgrades being made to existing hotels, the potential hotel on 1st, the potential mega-hotel near the convention center, etc., we could be seeing a hotel bubble before we know it! Unfortunately, not being a major tourist or convention draw makes every additional hotel place us on the cusp of a bubble.

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » November 1st, 2012, 12:20 pm

What's a hotel bubble?
Towns!

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » November 1st, 2012, 12:53 pm

I feel like the market for even speculative hotels is really getting soft. Between all of the upgrades being made to existing hotels, the potential hotel on 1st, the potential mega-hotel near the convention center, etc., we could be seeing a hotel bubble before we know it! Unfortunately, not being a major tourist or convention draw makes every additional hotel place us on the cusp of a bubble.
I wasn't specifically hoping that they put a hotel here- rather, I was just using the hotel in the renderings to describe the area I assume they're talking about. Though a hotel on the same block as a train station, baseball stadium, and major ad agency couldn't do all that bad of business.

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » November 1st, 2012, 1:33 pm

we're buidling a behemoth football stadium downtown also. that's two large regional tourist attractions (stadiums) bookending downtown. like it or not the twins and vikings attract a ton of people from outside the twin cities. i know people who take buses up from south dakota for vikings games.