Target Field Station (the Hotel) & Target Field Station (the Station)

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
IllogicalJake
Target Field

Re: Target Field Station

Postby IllogicalJake » June 11th, 2014, 2:13 pm

Will they be showing World Cup matches from here? We have plenty of private places showing the games but no public one that I know of. This seems like a perfect opportunity to do so.
I'd doubt they have the authority to do so...
i talk too much. web dev, downtown. admin @ tower.ly

bubzki2
Foshay Tower

Postby bubzki2 » June 11th, 2014, 2:56 pm

Will they be showing World Cup matches from here? We have plenty of private places showing the games but no public one that I know of. This seems like a perfect opportunity to do so.
I'd doubt they have the authority to do so...
At least not if it's dissemination without expressed written consent.

A shame, though.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » June 11th, 2014, 3:56 pm

I could be mistaken, but... how would that be different than a bar showing the game? It's not a rebroadcast, it's just a broadcast, right? They'd show all of the commercials that go along with it, so why would anybody care if you're watching it at home or at a bar or at the Target Field Plaza?

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » June 11th, 2014, 4:02 pm

Bars usually pay for performance rights for broadcasts.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » June 11th, 2014, 4:17 pm

Sounds like it's a little bit fuzzy.

I'm guessing most bars don't pay for performance rights and just wait for a cease and desist.

jet777
Nicollet Mall

Postby jet777 » June 12th, 2014, 6:33 am

I remember a few years back the NFL actually cracked down on small public Super Bowl watching parties at churches and the like.

go4guy
Foshay Tower

Postby go4guy » June 12th, 2014, 8:31 am

An example I can think of was Game 1 of the Stanley Cup Finals was televised live from Bryant Park in Midtown. Not sure if the Rangers put it on or not. But the park was absolutely packed.

ECtransplant
US Bank Plaza

Postby ECtransplant » June 12th, 2014, 10:57 am

That was organized by the Rangers front office

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » June 12th, 2014, 2:04 pm

How long do we wager that the complaints over the constant clanging of bells at the station will elicit a formal response from Metro Transit? It's INSANE. They are super loud and never-ending. It's completely unreasonable. "The bells that cried wolf" as one person put it on Twitter. A number of MT employees were openly criticizing it on Twitter, so maybe it got someone's attention.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » June 12th, 2014, 2:38 pm

True this, I took the tour of Target Field (which I highly highly recommend, make sure you get a guy named "spin") and whenever we got outside you could hear every 30 seconds or so the DING DING DING. On a side note when I was on my bike riding to park in at the field I got "honked" at by a train because I got within about 5 yards from crossing the rails at the crossing section. Thanks I didn't see the giant a** train right in front of me

PhilmerPhil

Postby PhilmerPhil » June 12th, 2014, 2:40 pm

It's still doing that? I remember when TFS was just opening there was non stop ringing. Like seriously DING DING DING DING for the entire time the train crept along. It can't be intentional can it? I just assumed it was a kink they needed to work out, or perhaps had to do with the testing out the new station/platforms.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » June 12th, 2014, 2:50 pm

Aren't they required to by law? They're going through a series of level crossings.

IllogicalJake
Target Field

Postby IllogicalJake » June 12th, 2014, 2:53 pm

True this, I took the tour of Target Field (which I highly highly recommend, make sure you get a guy named "spin") and whenever we got outside you could hear every 30 seconds or so the DING DING DING.
From my experience at the Nicollet Mall station, trains are arriving about every 30 seconds to minute or so. There seem to be more Green Line trains our for testing than there will be in actual service. So it doesn't sound unusual to me, and doesn't seem to be "stuck on" as it used to be. But, eh, this place is made for jumping to conclusions... :)
On a side note when I was on my bike riding to park in at the field I got "honked" at by a train because I got within about 5 yards from crossing the rails at the crossing section. Thanks I didn't see the giant a** train right in front of me
Are you really upset about a train sounding a cautionary horn?

People are stupid. Regardless of horns, I see people stand on the tracks causing the train to slow down nearly every day. It's actually quite sad how little people pay attention or think the train will stop for them like another car. But as along as people are doing that, I have no problem hearing a moderately loud horn for a second or two as they approach a crosswalk with pedestrians. Seems like a good safety call to me.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » June 12th, 2014, 3:55 pm

Walk by it. It's pretty bad.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

IllogicalJake
Target Field

Postby IllogicalJake » June 12th, 2014, 3:58 pm

Walk by it. It's pretty bad.
I'm not saying it's not annoying to hear, but we're dealing with trains at a pedestrian-grade intersection and trains coming through at a faster pace than ever before. Are there really many other options?

mulad

Postby mulad » June 12th, 2014, 4:19 pm

The trains themselves have e-bells. They're also in a 10-mph speed zone, so it's not like they're warning about a train that will come flying along and surprise people

talindsay
Wells Fargo Center

Postby talindsay » June 12th, 2014, 4:47 pm

I also think the point about crying wolf is valid. The bells reduce pedestrian safety if they ring so often that people start disregarding them.

IllogicalJake
Target Field

Postby IllogicalJake » June 12th, 2014, 5:37 pm

I also think the point about crying wolf is valid. The bells reduce pedestrian safety if they ring so often that people start disregarding them.
But they only ring when a train is approaching, not all the time... at least, that was the case last I was there.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » June 12th, 2014, 6:01 pm

I just went to TFS today, to check it out again. IllogicalJake is right, the bells only ring when an approaching train is within 300' or so. But it's based on distance, not on time before the train gets to the crossing, which means that they start ringing when a train is slowing to approach the platform, then continue to ring the whole time it's stopped at the platform (potentially a while, since this is the terminus and the trains dwell here), then continue to ring until the end of the train is past the crossing. Then, since the trains are still stopping at both platforms for no reason whatsoever, the whole damn cycle repeats 300' down the line. With both lines running at full frequency, this basically means they're constantly ringing.

This setup is actually training people to ignore the bells, since they start ringing as the train enters the platform at the other end, exactly when people will rush across the tracks to catch it no matter what. Relying on the e-bell on each train, which only starts when the actual danger does, would be much better.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

Ottergoose
Metrodome

Postby Ottergoose » June 12th, 2014, 8:25 pm

How about a pretty picture? Took this from upper level of Target Field last week; didn't get a chance to walk around the platform, but it's stunning from above. Note the screen showing the game in progress.