Target Field Station (the Hotel) & Target Field Station (the Station)

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
twincitizen

Re: The Interchange (At Target Field)

Postby twincitizen » April 16th, 2013, 11:08 am

Thanks for the rendering! I had not seen that... Im assuming the interchange eliminates the stop that is currently infront of the stadium where the line ends now?
That question has been posed a few times, and I don't think anyone has ever gotten a concrete answer. One thing is certain, the current Target Field Station isn't going away. I do think that the two platforms (the existing and the Interchange) will be considered a single station. Before and after Twins games, I believe they will use one platform for Green Line and one station for Blue Line.

On non-game days, common sense would dictate that the trains do not stop at both platforms. Maybe the existing platform will only be used during games, but who knows really. They could opt to have separate platforms for Blue/Green at all times, but I hope not. That would be unnecessary and inconvenient for transfers, due to T.F. having a center platform and Interchange having side platforms, as well as the extra walking (luggage, children, disabled, etc).

IMO the Interchange Station should have been built with side AND center platforms to easily facilitate transfers and handle the increased passenger loads. Trains could open doors on both sides, allowing quicker boarding of heavy loads. The existing platform could probably be eliminated in that scenario.

MotorCity2TwinCities
Nicollet Mall

Postby MotorCity2TwinCities » April 21st, 2013, 2:22 pm

Interchange420.jpg

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » April 22nd, 2013, 8:31 am

That view will be DRASTICALLY different when Shapco is replaced by the 8 story office building and the Natural apartment building is next to Fulton Brewery.

Is this taken from the 720 building? I wonder if those residences are going to be upset with the taller developments moving west of 394?

MotorCity2TwinCities
Nicollet Mall

Postby MotorCity2TwinCities » April 22nd, 2013, 4:12 pm

Is this taken from the 720 building? I wonder if those residences are going to be upset with the taller developments moving west of 394?

MSPtoMKE
Rice Park

Re: The Interchange

Postby MSPtoMKE » May 6th, 2013, 12:46 am

From May 5th:
Interchange Construction Progress by MSPdude, on Flickr
My flickr photos.

mulad

Postby mulad » May 7th, 2013, 4:36 am

As of yesterday's Passenger Rail Forum meeting, this project was said to be 30% complete, on time, and under budget. The new HERC administrative building is structurally complete and fully enclosed, with mostly interior work remaining, and is expected to open in September. 12 out of 13 spans for the LRT bridge section are in place -- the only remaining bit is over the HERC driveway. The first concrete pour for the bridge deck is supposed to happen sometime this week. Utility work at the site is about 90% complete.

The ballpark authority has granted another $300,000 for artwork at the site, though I'm not sure what form that will take.

There was some talk about certain entities making use of land and retail space at the site in public-private partnerships. In addition to the discussion we've heard before about the transit police moving into The Interchange, it sounds like Metro Transit may try to move their whole headquarters onto the site somewhere as well. There was a specific developer/operator interested in potential retail and office uses as well.

They're aiming for an opening in April 2014.

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » May 7th, 2013, 10:03 am

In addition to the discussion we've heard before about the transit police moving into The Interchange, it sounds like Metro Transit may try to move their whole headquarters onto the site somewhere as well. There was a specific developer/operator interested in potential retail and office uses as well.

They're aiming for an opening in April 2014.
Wow. That would definitely produce a much more substantial building on the corner parcel than just the police HQ. Who knows, it could also mean reconfiguration of their present HQ into something more urbane (someday.) Great news!

woofner
Wells Fargo Center

Postby woofner » May 7th, 2013, 11:11 am

Metro Transit may try to move their whole headquarters onto the site somewhere as well.
Makes me wish they had built a taller structure for the HERC offices then. I just don't see the park next to the garbage burner being a very appealing place to hang out, eat lunch, etc. At games, sure it'll be full, but otherwise I predict dead space.
"Who rescued whom!"

minnyapple
Nicollet Mall

Postby minnyapple » May 27th, 2013, 7:31 pm

An announcement expected soon on development around the interchange. http://www.startribune.com/local/minnea ... 95641.html

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » May 27th, 2013, 7:42 pm

The interchange will be a workhorse, not a show pony. It will serve as a two-tiered transit hub for five commuter rail lines: Hiawatha, Central and eventually Bottineau and Southwest light-rail as well as the Northstar commuter rail.
Can we send out a memo to all journalists to please stop using different types of rail interchangeably? Even if it's in an article about The Interchange? [/analretentive]
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » May 27th, 2013, 7:44 pm

Five (5) commuter rail lines!

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » May 27th, 2013, 7:45 pm

Hey at least it accurately describes our pathetic attempt at LRT (at least 2 of 4 future lines)... commuter transit, not urban transit.

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » May 27th, 2013, 10:25 pm

^Heh. Unintentionally, but yep.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » May 27th, 2013, 10:50 pm

Hey at least it accurately describes our pathetic attempt at LRT...
This should probably be its own topic, but is there anything that you all think Minneapolis does well? I don't think you need to be a homer and praise everything, but, wow. The overwhelming negativity about our region on this board is, frankly, overwhelming.

Related: Is there anything that you all don't know better than the people who are professionals? Doesn't matter if they're architects, city planners, or (god forbid) transportation engineers -- they apparently don't know their ass from a hole in the ground. Poor benighted, souls who have to please a broad range of competing interests and meet a budget...

By the way -- once Central Corridor is up and running, our pathetic LRT system will be a top performer on a number of metrics.

ECtransplant
US Bank Plaza

Postby ECtransplant » May 27th, 2013, 11:14 pm

Is it really correct to call two total lines a "system"?

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » May 28th, 2013, 12:57 am

Hey at least it accurately describes our pathetic attempt at LRT...
This should probably be its own topic, but is there anything that you all think Minneapolis does well? I don't think you need to be a homer and praise everything, but, wow. The overwhelming negativity about our region on this board is, frankly, overwhelming.

Related: Is there anything that you all don't know better than the people who are professionals? Doesn't matter if they're architects, city planners, or (god forbid) transportation engineers -- they apparently don't know their ass from a hole in the ground. Poor benighted, souls who have to please a broad range of competing interests and meet a budget...

By the way -- once Central Corridor is up and running, our pathetic LRT system will be a top performer on a number of metrics.
Presumably part of the problem is that federal funding for lines encourages lines from the suburbs into the city to attract new riders rather than improving existing corridors.

Hiawatha was going to happen first no matter what, it was the easiest since the government held most of the land already, and from hearing tales of how the line was funded, the feds were being a little fast and loose with how things can be funded (no CEI as far as I know). Central is certainly not a commuter line, but lot's of compromises were made because of CEI requirements.

Southwest and Bottinueau are pretty clear commuter lines. With a completely different funding process I bet these lines would have looked a lot different.

So really, the problem comes down to federal funding. And in the future these lines can do a bit more to foster TOD than real "commuter" rail like Northstar does.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » May 28th, 2013, 6:03 am

Hey I'm usually real positive! It's just been so cloudy lately...
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » May 28th, 2013, 6:30 am

i don't think it's pathetic really. we have the two lines. we will have three lines by 2018. looks like 4 soon after that. considering where the twin cities were as recently as the late 90's that's incredible. we can't build out a system in ten years here with our funding scheme at the state level. hopefully that changes in the near future.

light rail is commuter rail. look at similar regions building out lrt. salt lake, denver, dallas...all with lines out to the 'burbs. streetcar funding is different yes..it requires a larger local match because it's specific and "localized". you think people in maple grove want to fund the nicollet streetcar?

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » May 28th, 2013, 9:17 am

Is it really correct to call two total lines a "system"?
If this was a very wry joke, then well played.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » May 28th, 2013, 9:26 am

Hey I'm usually real positive! It's just been so cloudy lately...
And Nick, you're usually a ray of sunshine.