Capella Tower

Re: Dock Street Apartments

Postby Nathan » July 23rd, 2012, 8:29 am

Yes Please!I mean PLEASE!!!

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » July 23rd, 2012, 8:35 am

Maybe for the second building that seems to be over the Northstar they are hoping for a little public/private partnership in creating some of the transit station in their building, or the entrance or something?

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » July 23rd, 2012, 8:40 am

I'm in complete agreement with the statements above. I like the modernism of the conceptual renderings to bring in a little different aesthetic to the area. Most importantly , it gets rid of vacant land. It would create a new focal point of energy and activity downtown. Its well connected to the LRT. Bring it on!

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » July 23rd, 2012, 9:25 am

Pickard Chilton's work is weird in that half of the projects look great and half are awkwardly-proportioned boxes.

This project is an awkwardly-proportioned box. Glass Centre Village? That alone isn't reason to not build it (though I would agree with seanrichardryan that the plaza is an odd waste of space) but again, the hysteria about nothing good being built in Minneapolis is getting really played out. I hope this gets built, maybe with them doing something nice on top of it instead of the top just ending abruptly.

But the economy collapsed. If any of you have $150 million dollars lying around to bankroll any of these projects, please do. In the mean time, the broken record of Minneapolis being terrible and everything being mediocre is getting old. Especially since the majority of you probably think stuff like this and this and this is just great.

We have blocks and blocks and blocks of surface parking in this city that need to be filled in, and doing that will do much more for the quality of life here than a handful of crazy Dr. Seuss towers. Not every building needs to scream look at me. Most of the brownstones in Loring Park and Stevens Square are boring and look the same. But they're both great urban neighborhoods because it's dense, people live there, and you can walk down the street without feeling like you're in either a desert or some crazy circus funhouse.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

612transplant
Nicollet Mall

Re: 350 North Fifth Street

Postby 612transplant » July 23rd, 2012, 10:14 am

Wow, I took a nap on this one. Looks great, and in case anybody is still wondering, I am 100% positive this is not an old render from Twinsville.

How much space do the Bone Marrow Donor folks need, though?

nordeast homer
US Bank Plaza

Postby nordeast homer » July 23rd, 2012, 10:26 am

I believe they want 400k of space by 2015.

I love these buildings, they will really change the look of the neighborhood. They are sleek and classy if you ask me; I certainly wouldn't compare them to Centre Village.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » July 23rd, 2012, 10:52 am

Pickard Chilton's work is weird in that half of the projects look great and half are awkwardly-proportioned boxes.

This project is an awkwardly-proportioned box. Glass Centre Village? That alone isn't reason to not build it (though I would agree with seanrichardryan that the plaza is an odd waste of space) but again, the hysteria about nothing good being built in Minneapolis is getting really played out. I hope this gets built, maybe with them doing something nice on top of it instead of the top just ending abruptly.

But the economy collapsed. If any of you have $150 million dollars lying around to bankroll any of these projects, please do. In the mean time, the broken record of Minneapolis being terrible and everything being mediocre is getting old. Especially since the majority of you probably think stuff like this and this and this is just great.

We have blocks and blocks and blocks of surface parking in this city that need to be filled in, and doing that will do much more for the quality of life here than a handful of crazy Dr. Seuss towers. Not every building needs to scream look at me. Most of the brownstones in Loring Park and Stevens Square are boring and look the same. But they're both great urban neighborhoods because it's dense, people live there, and you can walk down the street without feeling like you're in either a desert or some crazy circus funhouse.
No offense, but Neuvell, a Gugenheim, and a Gehry aren't exactly "crapola".....in fairness!

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » July 23rd, 2012, 11:20 am

No offense, but Neuvell, a Gugenheim, and a Gehry aren't exactly "crapola".....in fairness!
If a 20 year old studying architecture at MCTC designed the Walker Art Museum (not exactly a tall task) do you think anyone would have let them build it? Starchitecture a decent building does not make. And I feel pretty strongly that anyone who thinks the Guthrie won't look as dated in thirty years as Riverside Plaza does now is trying really hard to impress their friends who went out East for college.

This building is awkward.

But it's fine. Build it, fill in another surface lot. But to say, already, after just getting sniff of a rendering on an architect's website, that this will get shot down because Minneapolis is "too conservative" is ridiculous.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

trkaiser
Landmark Center

Postby trkaiser » July 23rd, 2012, 11:55 am

I don't see what's awkward about these simple, spare towers. This is amazing news! A major organization is looking to relocate in our downtown, at the new and exciting edge of the CBD, at the confluence of our train lines, directly across from the new transit station and our brand new, acclaimed ballpark. Seriously, how is this disappointing? I really like the interaction at ground level, the brightness and the lack of anything faux-historical. This is exactly what I was hoping for on this site. Minneapolis is not too conservative, and even if we were (yes, there are a few examples of annoying NIMBY) these buildings are not radical. But they're not boring either.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » July 23rd, 2012, 12:04 pm

If a 20 year old studying architecture at MCTC designed the Walker Art Museum (not exactly a tall task) do you think anyone would have let them build it? Starchitecture a decent building does not make. And I feel pretty strongly that anyone who thinks the Guthrie won't look as dated in thirty years as Riverside Plaza does now is trying really hard to impress their friends who went out East for college.

This building is awkward.

But it's fine. Build it, fill in another surface lot. But to say, already, after just getting sniff of a rendering on an architect's website, that this will get shot down because Minneapolis is "too conservative" is ridiculous.
I said I wouldn't be surprised....not a very strong statement, is it? I want to say one or two project over 10 floors proposed in North Loop were shot down because they were threatening the historical context of the neighborhood....so my comments were in reference to those. Minneapolis IS a bit conservative though (visit other cities if you don't believe me).

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » July 23rd, 2012, 12:07 pm

I guess I'll go out and say it: I think these look awkward and out of place here.

sanchopanza
Metrodome

Postby sanchopanza » July 23rd, 2012, 1:04 pm

I guess I'll go out and say it: I think these look awkward and out of place here.

With that thinking we wouldn't have the IDS tower.

It is good to have discussions about a project (that is exactly what this forum is for), but I am really surprised about the negative feedback. Adding density and removing surface parking are what everybody wants right?

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » July 23rd, 2012, 1:51 pm

And I feel pretty strongly that anyone who thinks the Guthrie won't look as dated in thirty years as Riverside Plaza does now is trying really hard to impress their friends who went out East for college.
This is stupid. I think the Guthrie looks awesome and every time I see it I think it looks great. IMO it's legitimately beautiful architecture. But I went out west for college so maybe I'm easily impressed.
Towns!

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » July 23rd, 2012, 1:54 pm

I like it.

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » July 23rd, 2012, 1:58 pm

I don't see what's awkward about these simple, spare towers. This is amazing news! A major organization is looking to relocate in our downtown, at the new and exciting edge of the CBD, at the confluence of our train lines, directly across from the new transit station and our brand new, acclaimed ballpark. Seriously, how is this disappointing? I really like the interaction at ground level, the brightness and the lack of anything faux-historical. This is exactly what I was hoping for on this site. Minneapolis is not too conservative, and even if we were (yes, there are a few examples of annoying NIMBY) these buildings are not radical. But they're not boring either.
I agree with this as well. How are the towers awkward? I'm not in love with the dead plazas/lobbies but the buildings themselves look very nice. And they fit great in the spot, IMO.
Towns!

spectre000
Landmark Center

Postby spectre000 » July 23rd, 2012, 2:11 pm

I think these glass towers will look a little out of place being in the North Loop. Aside from a couple post modern condo buildings like 720 and 730 Lofts, there isn't much around the area with similar exteriors. That isn't to say I wouldn't want to see them built here or designed as they are. But I do think they'd fit in better closer to Nicollet Mall.

But it really doesn't matter to me. Any new major office buildings downtown is a major plus.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » July 23rd, 2012, 2:14 pm

I have been excited for something to break the mold in the North Loop. I mean the Twin's Stadium isn't exactly red brick either. Many of the great cities I've seen have their blend of traditional and contemporary. Nothing is cooler than Some cool slick glass tucked right into the history of brick and mortar.

As for Things looking dated... Yes. Things look dated for a while. But certain creative architecture will always be fascinating even if retro. I argue that the style of Riverside Plaza is coming back around, and that their modernism will soon be as timeless as as any turn of the century building. The buildings are infamous for a lot of the under 30 crowd, and probably even more important to future generations who will be fascinated by their history and unique style. Endless Cycle. Just me.

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » July 23rd, 2012, 2:23 pm

I think these glass towers will look a little out of place being in the North Loop. Aside from a couple post modern condo buildings like 720 and 730 Lofts, there isn't much around the area with similar exteriors. That isn't to say I wouldn't want to see them built here or designed as they are. But I do think they'd fit in better closer to Nicollet Mall.

But it really doesn't matter to me. Any new major office buildings downtown is a major plus.
Bookman Stacks.
But it isn't really in the north loop. This is kind of a transition area which makes it work well, IMO.
Towns!

woofner
Wells Fargo Center

Postby woofner » July 23rd, 2012, 2:32 pm

It's bland and a bit awkward but I'll take it. Despite the high visibility from the stadium, it's otherwise not a very prominent site and will just be more filler for the skyline. Meanwhile it'll add activity to an area that desperately needs it no matter what it looks like.

I really hope that the city doesn't let them put that circle driveway in front, though. If they for some reason need drop-off access to what will be the most bike- and transit-accessible office building downtown and the ground level is unacceptable, a drop-off lane added to the existing roadway would be be better (if it's possible). 5th St is annoying enough to walk on without having to deal with more curb cuts. Also a smaller set back will give the street a better sense of enclosure, not that corporate architects are concerned with urban design.
"Who rescued whom!"

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » July 23rd, 2012, 3:15 pm

My problem with these is that they would be two tall glass buildings permanently in a neighborhood of shorter brick buildings, while several modern, tall buildings sit closely together about five blocks east.

Almost any development here would be a net positive, and a building of this size would certainly add daytime traffic to the area around the new interchange. But this design (especially its apparent lack of street level retail) is out of place for this area.

I feel like the only reason so many people here disagree is because of Minnescraper's (or UrbanMSP's) obsession with anything tall. I'm in the apparent minority that believes vibrancy is rarely related to the height of surrounding buildings.