City Center

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
JackGrayson
City Center

Re: City Center

Postby JackGrayson » February 19th, 2014, 3:31 pm

We can dream for a Downtown Nordstrom, right?
Wouldn't that be terrific. Instead well probably watch it become a Wal-Mart or something of the sort. The Nordstrom in downtown Indianapolis just recently closed, and they had a beautiful location at the Circle Center Mall which is one of the most successful downtown malls in the country. Its full of retailers and is bustling with activity and still was doomed. I think we all know deep down inside a Nordstrom would never work downtown Minneapolis even in the best scenarios, but ill wish for one until the day I die.

Wasn't there a plan at some point to build a dome over a portion of the Nicolett [sic] Mall, which was to include a Nordstrom? I vividly remember seeing something like that, but saying it now it sounds very far fetched. Am I making this up in my head?

uptowncarag

Postby uptowncarag » February 19th, 2014, 4:36 pm

I think the Nordstrom in downtown Indy was a mistake as they do not have the demographips. I am not sure Nordstrom would come downtown with the construction of the new store at Ridgedale. Von Maur would be a good alternative downtown.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » February 19th, 2014, 9:51 pm

at the Nicollet mall meeting tonight the designer said they'd been in touch with the owners of city center who have said that they want the new city center to be very glassy and orient to the corners with retail, and the designer said they are going to try to get Macy's, the Crystal court, and gaviidae to do the same. ( especially at 7th)

JackGrayson
City Center

Postby JackGrayson » February 20th, 2014, 10:04 am

at the Nicollet mall meeting tonight the designer said they'd been in touch with the owners of city center who have said that they want the new city center to be very glassy and orient to the corners with retail, and the designer said they are going to try to get Macy's, the Crystal court, and gaviidae to do the same. ( especially at 7th)
They say it as if the owners of said buildings are just going to be like "If you say so, here's a blank check!".

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » February 20th, 2014, 10:14 am

As for the tower, I thought it would be cool for Target to put a giant, spinning, bulls-eye logo on the top.
I was thinking a giant, spinning Bullseye with fireworks shooting out of his mouth.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » February 20th, 2014, 10:17 am

Is it because I said "born out" instead of "borne out"? If so, I'm not going to fix it, because that's the sort of grammatical absurdity that we need to stand up to.
"that's the sort of grammatical absurdity to which we need to stand up."

FTFY

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » February 20th, 2014, 10:27 am

They say it as if the owners of said buildings are just going to be like "If you say so, here's a blank check!".
Yes, this is totally unrealistic and will never happen. The Crystal Court and Gaviidae are both stellar buildings by world class architects that should not be altered significantly. Macy's has a lovely historical exterior and there are very few examples of that left on Nicollet Mall. The sad truth is City Center is the main culprit detracting from the pedestrian experience of the mall in this area. I give Shorenstein a lot of credit and kudos for wanting to fix up their building. But they should focus on that and not get enmeshed with a scheme that everyone knows will not fly.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » February 20th, 2014, 10:38 am

Yeah, I've got no major problems with the structure of the 3 other buildings on this corner. (It would be nice if the Gap had a corner entrance, but w/e.) I would, however, be happier if there were fewer windows that just had a blank white wall behind them, on either the first or second floors.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » February 20th, 2014, 10:45 am

Yeah, I've got no major problems with the structure of the 3 other buildings on this corner. (It would be nice if the Gap had a corner entrance, but w/e.) I would, however, be happier if there were fewer windows that just had a blank white wall behind them, on either the first or second floors.
Agree, some improvement with more transparency . But they should not be radically altered. City Center is the building that really needs the major surgery! :)

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » February 20th, 2014, 10:48 am

Say what you want about the architecture of Gaviidae, but this is a terribly underwhelming/understated store entrance. The problem is that all of these places were designed to be accessed from the inside, and not from the street.

Macy's is fine (and MTM is there to welcome you). The rest, yes including IDS/Gap, need major help...it's not "w/e" if the sidewalk (proper) is radically narrowed at the intersection.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » February 20th, 2014, 10:49 am

Is it because I said "born out" instead of "borne out"? If so, I'm not going to fix it, because that's the sort of grammatical absurdity that we need to stand up to.
"that's the sort of grammatical absurdity to which we need to stand up."

FTFY
I was wondering how long it would take for somebody to do this. Thanks, David! Rolls off the tongue so much easier now.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » February 20th, 2014, 10:50 am

*Little realized fact* The crystal court meets the street terribly.

City center once had a very active corner entrance and it might be as simple as taking down the plywood and cleaning the doors.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » February 20th, 2014, 11:12 am

*Little realized fact* The crystal court meets the street terribly.

City center once had a very active corner entrance and it might be as simple as taking down the plywood and cleaning the doors.
That City Center entrance was closed due to youth congregating and fighting while ( allegedly) waiting for the bus. There were also quite a few robberies and muggings. Again, public safety is a major concern at this intersection. How will the city and the renovation of City Center and Nicollet Mall address this? This is swept under the rug by everyone.

at40man
Rice Park

Postby at40man » February 20th, 2014, 2:33 pm

I'm not sure how putting a plywood barrier around one of the few obvious entrances to City Bunker helps public safety....

Why not have a police officer stationed in the general vicinity of that intersection, and/or place City Bunker's security desk near that entrance?

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » February 20th, 2014, 2:41 pm

Yes, that thought did occur to me. For $300,000 a year, you could have a DID ambassador stationed there basically around the clock. Sounds like a lot of money, but in the grand scheme of things, it might be money well spent.

IllogicalJake
Target Field

Postby IllogicalJake » February 20th, 2014, 2:43 pm

We can dream for a Downtown Nordstrom, right?
Wouldn't that be terrific. Instead well probably watch it become a Wal-Mart or something of the sort. The Nordstrom in downtown Indianapolis just recently closed, and they had a beautiful location at the Circle Center Mall which is one of the most successful downtown malls in the country. Its full of retailers and is bustling with activity and still was doomed.
As an Indianapolis resident, Circle Center has never really been bustling or even full of retailers... It's often neglected by Simon, whose HQ is oddly right next door, and struggles to keep tenants. Its problem is its not sustained by downtown residents, as there's only about 5-7k in downtown Indy right now. It's a downtown attraction that mostly gets convention and tourist traffic, which isn't all that great for a chain upscale department store. It's taken a good 3 years just to fill the vacant spot, only for Simon to decide the mall no longer needs that second anchor and is dividing it into office space and first-floor restaurants.

So, I wouldn't rule out Minneapolis for a Nordstrom based on that. But, overall, Nordstrom doesn't seem interested in pursuing more urban spots. The closing of the d/t Indy location was partly brought on by a new Nordstrom store opening on the far northside.
i talk too much. web dev, downtown. admin @ tower.ly

ECtransplant
US Bank Plaza

Postby ECtransplant » February 20th, 2014, 6:07 pm

Why not have a police officer stationed in the general vicinity of that intersection, and/or place City Bunker's security desk near that entrance?
Just have MPD plop a safe zone camera there permanently and call it a day

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » February 23rd, 2014, 8:44 pm

I know I'll catch h*ll for this, but you will not be able to really change the make up of the IDS as that is now considered scared ground. Architecturally you would have residents and the HPC saying no to moving entrances. Frankly I find corner entrances a bit of a pain as they end up making some very odd shaped stores. They threw a fit when they just wanted to move the escalators back at the end of the 80's when they last remodeled the court. The corner of 7th and Nicollet is fine with the exception of City Center. The city must make sure there is an active street entrance to each businesses facing Nicollet.

Again the bus transfer and stations is the wild card that needs to be worked out by the city and county.

ECtransplant
US Bank Plaza

Postby ECtransplant » February 23rd, 2014, 8:57 pm

Again the bus transfer and stations is the wild card that needs to be worked out by the city and county.
Maybe all that extra transit money about to be freed up when SWLRT falls apart can go to places like this where there are actually people to use that investment

Aville_37
Union Depot

Postby Aville_37 » March 1st, 2014, 8:15 pm