City Center

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
MNdible
is great.

Re: City Center

Postby MNdible » February 18th, 2014, 1:59 pm

I think the downtown movie theaters have tended to have image problems, whether based in stigma or reality. There was a perception (sometimes born out, in my experience) that the old Skyway and the newer Block E theaters were a great place to go if you wanted to see rowdy teens yelling and acting badly during a movie.

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » February 18th, 2014, 2:13 pm

Definitely reality, IMO. Empty matinees were cool but If you get annoyed by constant talking during movies this was not the place for you.

Edit: HA! Nick gets annoyed at the most innocuous stuff...
Towns!

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » February 18th, 2014, 2:24 pm

Edit: HA! Nick gets annoyed at the most innocuous stuff...
Is it because I said "born out" instead of "borne out"? If so, I'm not going to fix it, because that's the sort of grammatical absurdity that we need to stand up to.

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » February 18th, 2014, 2:38 pm

Well, that may annoy him as well -- but I'm referring to the fact that he's added "(obviously)" after I M O.
Towns!

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » February 18th, 2014, 4:18 pm

Anecdote: Last time I went to the Block E movie theater, a fighting couple (who were clearly not teenagers) were removed by the police, so that was nice. Probably a few months before it closed. I think there's a reasonable apprehension about spending $25 to sit in the dark and watch a movie if there's a reasonable chance you won't be able to enjoy the movie. I'd reckon that a smaller movie theater with high ticket prices and booze would do well downtown in the right location and vibe. Probably closer to the river.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » February 18th, 2014, 4:20 pm

I didn't realize people still went to movie theaters.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » February 18th, 2014, 4:24 pm

Yeah and I don't even Tweet or check in on anything when I go.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

twinkess
Target Field

Postby twinkess » February 18th, 2014, 4:37 pm

I went to at least a dozen movies at Block E theater. I can't remember ever having an issue with fellow audience members, which is notable because I get really irritated with disruptive people.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » February 18th, 2014, 4:46 pm

Yeah, which is why I prefaced it with "anecdote." Though, it is a thing that happened, and it's possible that sometimes in a rush to counter the "Minneapolis is a Mad Max hellscape" sentiment from suburban StarTribune commenters, we gloss over actual problems.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

twinkess
Target Field

Postby twinkess » February 18th, 2014, 4:48 pm

Yeah, which is why I prefaced it with "anecdote." Though, it is a thing that happened, and it's possible that sometimes in a rush to counter the "Minneapolis is a Mad Max hellscape" sentiment from suburban StarTribune commenters, we gloss over actual problems.
Fair enough, didn't mean to say "nope you're wrong!" :)

JackGrayson
City Center

Postby JackGrayson » February 18th, 2014, 6:21 pm

So, back to the question that had nothing to do with a movie theater, does anyone know what is under way at City Center?

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » February 18th, 2014, 6:24 pm

Nick Magrino
[email protected]

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » February 18th, 2014, 8:40 pm

This might be in left field but, I'm more for a 6-8 screen (tops) on the structure of the Icons, with the alcohol and the reserved seating and food, build near 222 in the north Loop. There is a huge empty lot opposite of Velo at 1st and 2nd Street. This should be where the people live. Make this a neighborhood theater and not a downtown theater. You will be less likely to have north siders going to watch a movie when the ticket prices, food, and beverages are going to mean a left kidney to get in. Also it will be enough out of the way so that it is not easily accessible unless they want to do some walking. Don't mean to put down anyone from the north side, but that is where much of the trouble finds its way into the core.
The theaters don't have to be huge, but they should have the amenities to draw movie goers in.

City Center really needs to concentrate on real retail. Names that people want to shop at, street frontage where people can see the clothing that is in the stores and doors that let you inside to buy. I'm hoping Shorenstein will knock our socks off with a fantastic renovation and redevelopment of the WHOLE complex that they own.

sushisimo
Landmark Center

Postby sushisimo » February 18th, 2014, 9:24 pm

City Center really needs to concentrate on real retail. Names that people want to shop at, street frontage where people can see the clothing that is in the stores and doors that let you inside to buy.
I was hoping the Len re-orging would lead to an impressive, crisp, modern, glass-clad corner location on 7th and Nicollet.

JackGrayson
City Center

Postby JackGrayson » February 19th, 2014, 8:36 am

Those statements made on the website are extremely vague but I'll remain optimistic. Because right now the entire thing (City Center) looks like a grocery bag from Cub Foods. Such a shame it is the focal point of the skyline for a majority of Target Field goers.

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » February 19th, 2014, 2:07 pm

You will be less likely to have north siders going to watch a movie when the ticket prices, food, and beverages are going to mean a left kidney to get in. Also it will be enough out of the way so that it is not easily accessible unless they want to do some walking. Don't mean to put down anyone from the north side, but that is where much of the trouble finds its way into the core.
I see what you're getting at, but are we really using "Northsiders" as the scapegoat (which sort of comes across as a euphemism for "black people")? The issue isn't where the people are coming from, since South Minneapolitans (and suburbanites!) can be loud and annoying.

In any case, the route 7 and route 14 bus are both North Minneapolis routes that go right past your proposed location. They'd actually be closer than a City Center location.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » February 19th, 2014, 2:36 pm

City Center really needs to concentrate on real retail. Names that people want to shop at, street frontage where people can see the clothing that is in the stores and doors that let you inside to buy.
I was hoping the Len re-orging would lead to an impressive, crisp, modern, glass-clad corner location on 7th and Nicollet.
I know this is a rumor, but I heard there has been some thought of putting in a smaller footprint department store on 1/2 the Nicollet Mall side. What retailers are interested is not publicly known.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » February 19th, 2014, 2:38 pm

We can dream for a Downtown Nordstrom, right?

TommyT
Target Field

Postby TommyT » February 19th, 2014, 2:40 pm

I would DIE!

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » February 19th, 2014, 2:41 pm

And probably quite a few others. This area is exploding with development. And that is NOT hyperbole! :)