City Center

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
John
Capella Tower

Re: City Center

Postby John » October 11th, 2012, 11:10 am

Agreed. The tower is one of my least favorites, but I would hate this whole complex a lot less if the 3 story retail portion didn't look like something straight out of East Berlin from the outside. I think the tower is a good filler building and a tall one at that. And thank God we only have one of them in Minneapolis.
Thank God is right! One part of the lower level of the complex that has always bothered me is the awful exterior of The Forum Cafeteria. It's shameful its so tucked away in the fortress-like facade. It needs to be revamped to give it a highly visible and transparent presence on the street, so as a pedestrian, you could see the historic art deco interior. It would be such a nice addition to the street life/experience in this area. It would no doubt be more successful as a restaurant/night club if you could actually see the place!! lol.

Neptune
Block E

Postby Neptune » October 12th, 2012, 11:07 pm

I brought the idea up of recladding way back when on Minnescraper when Target Field was being built. Avian was nice enough to produce a photoshopped image of what Multifoods would look like if it were the same color as the CNA Plaza building in Chicago. Here's the result:

Looks great. One can dream, right?
Last edited by Neptune on October 12th, 2012, 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » October 12th, 2012, 11:48 pm

I've always advocated at least lighting it, perhaps in red.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » October 13th, 2012, 12:16 am

The facade is way too heavy and stern. I think it would look better if they reclad the exterior with a vertically patterned glass curtain wall to downplay its bulk and help make it appear more diaphanous. Then create a modest crown with setbacks at the top which would be lit up at night.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » October 13th, 2012, 10:29 am

I'm not so worried about the tower. I'd like for them to do a reclad of the 3-4 story section along the mall. Made even add a floor or 2 if possible to make the facade something that makes you want to go into city center. We have great architecture and streetscape along most of the mall. This is the Block E of the Nicollet mall. Worst area when you walk along the mall, that includes the the surface parking lots, which don't look like a prison fortress.

Aville_37
Union Depot

Postby Aville_37 » November 13th, 2012, 7:50 pm

Anyone hear of any future plans now that City Center has new owners? Hoping they invest some money in exterior improvements and attracting new retail tenants. How about a restaurant at the now bordered up corner entrance off Nicollet?

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » November 13th, 2012, 9:11 pm

What happened to these signs on the building? Are they even there anymore?

I actually remember going to the Sam Goody once, in the late 90s.

Did this one get removed when the Block E skyway was installed? I can't tell which side this is.

It boggles the mind that Block E ever got built...I mean, there's no way City Center and the other downtown retail/restaurant/entertainment spaces were anywhere near fully leased at the time...right? What were they thinking?

Aville_37
Union Depot

Postby Aville_37 » November 13th, 2012, 10:51 pm

That's the Hennepin Ave. entrance. I actually miss the signage too. At least you knew what the building was. I believe they were taken down during remodeling and when the skyway was built connecting CC to Block E.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » November 14th, 2012, 11:06 am

Aville_37
Union Depot

Postby Aville_37 » November 14th, 2012, 5:27 pm

Possibly promising news down the road. Thanks for posting.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » November 21st, 2012, 4:10 pm

The Strib reports: http://www.startribune.com/local/minnea ... 76681.html

Judging by the first 3 comments, people are not fond of this tower :o

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » November 21st, 2012, 5:19 pm

I really don't understand why people hate this so much. It's not beautiful, no, but I kind of like it. It has nice lines...especially when you are standing at the base looking up. The mall portion could certainly use a re-clad...that part, I will agree, is very ugly. They tower portion, I happen to like! I am sure I am not the only one!

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » November 21st, 2012, 5:31 pm

The Strib reports: http://www.startribune.com/local/minnea ... 76681.html

Judging by the first 3 comments, people are not fond of this tower :o
Quote from the article: Douglas Shorenstein, chairman and CEO of Shorenstein Properties, said in a statement the property "is in a superior office and retail location in a dynamic city. Minneapolis is growing faster than many larger metro areas, and it has wisely invested in its future success by developing the infrastructure necessary to attract more businesses and residents to downtown. We are pleased to have Target, which has done so much for Minneapolis, as our major tenant. We plan to work with our tenants and the community to add value to the city and to this important property."

I like his gracious, favorable comments about our city. I'm cautiously optimistic. Lets hope his words are matched with some actual investment to upgrade this property.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » November 21st, 2012, 5:36 pm

I really don't understand why people hate this so much. It's not beautiful, no, but I kind of like it. It has nice lines...especially when you are standing at the base looking up. The mall portion could certainly use a re-clad...that part, I will agree, is very ugly. They tower portion, I happen to like! I am sure I am not the only one!
I don't like the tower at all. But I do agree with you the Nicollet Mall side is the ugliest part of the complex. If they recald that, the rest of the complex would not look nearly as bad.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » September 9th, 2013, 11:59 am

I noticed they closed the 7th street sidewalk and bus stop by Nicollet Mall. A neighbor of mine said they are going to put a police substation there (YAY!). But I also get my hopes up some plans might be brewing to alter the facade on 7th street and along Nicollet Mall. Probably wishful thinking on my part :(

at40man
Rice Park

Postby at40man » September 9th, 2013, 12:27 pm

City Center - along with its cousin Town Square in St Paul - look worse for the wear each year.

I don't know that a simple re-cladding will be the panacea. Simply covering up the aging concrete doesn't change the fact that these buildings will still relate poorly to the street - something more dramatic needs to happen.

The towers are all so similar on these buildings as well. I don't like them, but I don't hate them either. I think the street level issues need to be addressed first.

uptowncarag

Postby uptowncarag » September 9th, 2013, 3:18 pm

Who was the architect? It is a horrible building but at least now it is overshadowed. It is too bad the exterior cannot be redone in glass or something.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » September 9th, 2013, 3:33 pm

I believe that City Center was an SOM project, and because of their national reach, just about every city of any size in the country got their own version of the Multifoods tower.

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » September 9th, 2013, 4:05 pm

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » September 9th, 2013, 6:18 pm

Yes SOM was the BVK of the high rises. A few great designs, but mostly buildings engineered for the most floor plat without columns. Then worked with developers that were not at all worried that their building would be considered a turd on the skyline. They just wanted the rents and nothing more.